cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refused delivery-What to do?

I sold an item the week before last, and much to my surprise it showed up back on my doorstep today. 

This was an auction style listing, and truth be told I was kind of sorry it sold(although that's the gamble of auction listings). I listed it at $19.99/free shipping and it sold for my opening bid. I shipped it in a medium FRB, but that's neither here nor there-that's how things sometimes play out. 

In any case, I've had no correspondence with the buyer, but it came back "delivery refused." I pulled the tracking and it first showed "Undeliverable as addressed" and "Refused" a day later. 

I've not opened the box, but it shows no outward distress nor does it "sound" damaged. Truth be told, these were tough items that don't "break" per se, so I can't imagine the buyer refusing based on suspected shipping damage. 

In any case, I'm wondering what my obigations are regarding the item. I know morally I SHOULD refund, but at the same time I'd have thought I would have heard from the buyer by now and I'm inclined to not do anything until I do hear from them. 

In terms of Paypal non-delivery and also negatives, I seem to recall that a different set of rules use to apply(and tip things in the seller's favor) if the buyer refused as opposed to accepting and claiming not as described. I haven't kept up, though, and am wondering if that's changed. 

I'd appreciate advice on what to do-specifically should I just wait for something to happen? At the same time, I don't want to even have a case on record as I know THAT counts against me. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Buyer refused delivery-What to do?

That buyer gave up his/her eBay MBG, I wouldn't refund or send any messages until the buyer contacts you first.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

The buyer may have moved and not updated his address.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 3 of 50
latest reply

"Undeliverable as addressed" means the address was not complete -- or that the carrier punched the wrong scanner button but left the package anyway. "Refused delivery" means that the package was rejected by a current tenant because the named recipient is no longer there.

Your buyer probably moved and did not provide a forwarding address.

I suggest you try to e-mail the buyer via eBay messages and directly, then wait a few days in case the buyer is hospitalized or out of town or away from the internet for any reason. If you hear nothing, just refund the original payment and get on with your life.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 50
latest reply

As a seller, you have met your requirement on the delivery per the Ebay rules.  So don't worry about that. 

But now, of course you need to try and work things out for your buyer.  As others have said, the buyer may have moved and forgot about updating Ebay and PP with their new address.  A simple yet professional email to them is in order.  Let them know you have the package back as it was refused at the address they gave you to ship to.  

Let them know they have a couple of choices.  You can refund them or you'd be happy to reship it.  

Now with that said, when this happens to me, I wait for a response to that first email a few days, maybe even a week.  Then if they respond, I go into more detail about their two options.  If they want me to refund them, it would be less the original shipping.  If they want me to reship, I'll bill them through PP for the additional shipping fee.  Of course I word all of this nice and professional.  Never pointing fingers at them for making the error.  Simple things like it is easy to forget to update all your internet accounts and you understand that.  Just never saying this is their fault, not yours.  If they do get a little frisky, come on back and let us help you with how to word your response so that you don't build a fire where one is not needed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Thanks everyone. 

I'm not up to it tonight, but I'll fire off a message in the morning. 

I'm thinking something simple... 

"Dear [buyer], 

I received your package back today-apparently the postal service had trouble with the address as provided. I'm happy to work with you to either get the package to you or work out other arrangements. Please contact me and let me know how you'd like to proceed. 

Thank you for your business" 

How does this sound?

BTW, the customer is registered in South Korea. I'm wondering if they had it shipped to a friend/relative in the US and were provided an incorrect address for shipping. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@waltham1857 wrote:

Thanks everyone. 

"Dear [buyer], 

I received your package back today-apparently the postal service had trouble with the address as provided. I'm happy to work with you to either get the package to you or work out other arrangements. Please contact me and let me know how you'd like to proceed. 

How does this sound?

BTW, the customer is registered in South Korea. I'm wondering if they had it shipped to a friend/relative in the US and were provided an incorrect address for shipping. 

Sounds very nice.  Short and sweet.  Good Job.

It is very possible they are using a friends or relatives address.  Happens all the time.  Usually without a problem.  But the buyer may have written down the address wrong or something.

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

I report the buyer when that happens. It's against the rules not to keep your information up to date. 

I report,  just incase the buyer opens a case for items not received. 

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 8 of 50
latest reply

giphy

I actually had one very recently just about like this.

Mine was an international buyer and he was utilizing a freight forwarder.  When I contacted the buyer and let him know that first it said it was undeliverable as addressed and then refused.  He told me that he kind of tried to slip one by the freight forwarder and THEY were the ones that refused the package.

Does your address have some sort of number or jibberish lettering next to or under the name?  If so, this is the buyer's "address" at the freight forwarding facility.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 9 of 50
latest reply

Alright-buyer contacted. 

And yes, this does appear to be a forwarder-the second line of the address is something that almost looks like a tracking number.  The address is also on the west coast-Portland, OR. 

I've dealt with plenty of forwarding services before, and usually they make themselves known by contacting me right after the sale with specific requests for how they want the package addressed/marked. 

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

@waltham1857 wrote:

Thanks everyone. 

"Dear [buyer], 

How does this sound?

They might have been using a reshipping service and they did not pay them as they are suppose to do.

So the reshipping company will refuse the package/not forward.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

I just cancel/refund "problem with buyer's address".

Yeah, it sucks to lose the postage.

But the cancel/refund ends the massive threat.  It's over.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@trustedbasset wrote:

I report the buyer when that happens. It's against the rules not to keep your information up to date. 

I report,  just incase the buyer opens a case for items not received. 

Sure, you certainly can do that.  However it is important to keep in mind that your buyers are just as human as you are and they may have simply made a mistake.  For me I prefer to wait and see if I can gather more information first.  I may very well end up reporting them, but really there is no rush in doing that, so I try not to rush to the decision.

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

@pinupsplus wrote:

I actually had one very recently just about like this.

Mine was an international buyer and he was utilizing a freight forwarder.  When I contacted the buyer and let him know that first it said it was undeliverable as addressed and then refused.  He told me that he kind of tried to slip one by the freight forwarder and THEY were the ones that refused the package.

Does your address have some sort of number or jibberish lettering next to or under the name?  If so, this is the buyer's "address" at the freight forwarding facility.

While this may matter to the buyer, it shouldn't to the seller.  According to tracking it was refused and therefore the buyer will not win an INR.  When you get it back and you decide you want to ship it again for your buyer, then you should still charge them a new S&H amount for that.  

It doesn't matter if it is a freight forwarder or Joe down the street that refuses the shipment.  Ebay sees them the same.  

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

@waltham1857 wrote:

Alright-buyer contacted. 

And yes, this does appear to be a forwarder-the second line of the address is something that almost looks like a tracking number.  The address is also on the west coast-Portland, OR. 

I've dealt with plenty of forwarding services before, and usually they make themselves known by contacting me right after the sale with specific requests for how they want the package addressed/marked. 

Now that is scary.  I've dealt with freight forwarders for YEARS and I've NEVER had one contact me with shipping instructions.  You should be VERY careful with complying to whatever they are saying.  Not only is the Freight Forwarder NOT your customer, they have no right to direct you on how to ship.  Plus you need to make sure you ship to the address on the PP payment or you lose your Seller protection in Ebay and PP.  Use an abundance of caution if this ever happens again as it could cost you dearly.

Portland would not be a big place for freight forwarders.  I'm not saying they don't have them, just that it would be an unusual place for one.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply