cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opens late delivery dispute case while eBay store is in vacation mode

This is a first for me.

We went out of state for our annual family vacation for a couple weeks(the 23rd to the 10th to be exact).
Our eBay store was placed in vacation. The listings were kept visible so that purchases could be made but we wrote a notice letting everyone know, our return dates included, that no orders would be processes or shipped out until we return. I encouraged questions, as always, and kept my laptop nearby during the trip.

So about half way through the the trip we had not one, but two people open dispute cases because their order had not been shipped out on time.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and looked at the store using a different account. Vacation mode notices are everywhere. It’s a fact that is hard to miss. It’s actually very clear to see that nothing will be done until the stated return date.

Both cases have since been closed.

But one things bother me:

Why are late delivery dispute cases possible at all, for purchases made while a store is in vacation mode?

The fact that a customer and a seller can get so tied up, and waste so much of everyones time and money, with all of these clear messages and notices in place is astounding.

It actually doesn't make any sense.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer opens late delivery dispute case while eBay store is in vacation mode

The loophole definitely has been closed. Buyers who get to your listing through their Watch list (or other means such as bookmarks) still cannot purchase the item if you have chosen the option to hide your listings.

Vacation notice at top of listing not processing orders.png

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

That was my first mistake with the vacation setting. Totally forgot about handling time. Now I like setting the handling time to equal the length of my vacation. I love coming back to sales I didn't expect. 

It's always live and learn on eBay. Lol. 

Good Luck

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

The loophole definitely has been closed. Buyers who get to your listing through their Watch list (or other means such as bookmarks) still cannot purchase the item if you have chosen the option to hide your listings.

Vacation notice at top of listing not processing orders.png

@partial*eclipse Is this change recent?  The example shows a date of 2015.  My experience with this loophole happened in October 2017.  It has made me wary of putting my store on vacation again.  Would be wonderful if the loophole was gone!

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

That example is indeed from 2015.  Here's  one from 2017 though it's based on a bookmark rather than on.  a watched item.  I don't have a watch list example from 2017, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it.

store vacation message from watch list.png

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Thank you!  I sure hope that you are right about the loophole being closed.  I don't often have to put my store on vacation but I would be grateful not to have to worry about something extra when I do.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That example is indeed from 2015.  Here's  one from 2017 though it's based on a bookmark rather than on.  a watched item.  I don't have a watch list example from 2017, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it.

store vacation message from watch list.png

I recall multiple threads last year where people were complaining that putting your store on vacation no longer prevented people from purchasing items.  I suspect this was changed  part way through 2017 and now allows purchase from the watch list.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

This is a common mistake.  Putting your store on vacation mode does not protect you from late delivery.  You have to manually extend your handling time as well.  Or you have to hide your listings.  You now have 2 seller defects that take time to drop off.

Not feasible for sellers with large inventories. Ebay could make a quick fix of it if they choose.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@teaisfortoys wrote:

We leave them available to so that we dont miss sales. In the meantime, I inform the buyers that nothing will be shipped out till we get back. And am always happy to take questions as they come.

The resoning behind chosing to do either is irrelevent, as long as ebay choses to make those options available withing their vacation mode settings. 

if someone buys they should be able to expect stuff be delivered, it isn't really fair to list stuff while you're on a 2 week vacation.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

And if there is a notification pasted clearly in front of your nose that the seller is away and can't process orders right away, then a buyer, who after seeing that notification, still chooses to purchase from that seller, should have zero standing as far as late delivery complaints.  That information should be more than enough to help you make an informed decision to either make the purchase and then wait for the seller to return and handle it, or hit the back button and move on to another seller.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

@teaisfortoys wrote:

We leave them available to so that we dont miss sales. In the meantime, I inform the buyers that nothing will be shipped out till we get back. And am always happy to take questions as they come.

The resoning behind chosing to do either is irrelevent, as long as ebay choses to make those options available withing their vacation mode settings. 

if someone buys they should be able to expect stuff be delivered, it isn't really fair to list stuff while you're on a 2 week vacation.

I disagree. Let's say I'm looking for a specific record. There's one selling for $42 from one seller and another for $19 from a seller whose store is in vacation mode. It says at the top of the listing that the seller is on vacation and will return in 6 days. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra week if it saves me $23. And maybe I feel like $42 is overpriced, so I either decide not to buy it at all, or buy it from another site.

As a buyer only, I feel that when a store is put in vacation mode, handling time should only start on the seller's specified return date. That's how vacation settings should LOGICALLY work. But I understand this is eBay and that vacation settings are pretty much useless for sellers...

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

WHY doesn't that say that you are subject to shipping anyway ANY WHERE on the vacation setup page?  People don't know about this until they themselves are pentalized, like myself.  Why have a bloody vacation notification at all then? Sounds pretty dumb to me and sets up ALL SELLERS for failure. 

I don't think this is right. It is Ebay's fault for not communicating that something else should be done to your store.  How can they inforce a policy that isn't written ANY WHERE but here?

Ebay your system is seriously flawed and you let buyers (who by the way don't pay you a dime - we the sellers PAY YOUR SALARIES) get away with murder. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@zzydny wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

.....Or you have to hide your listings.....

Even if you hide your listings, buyers can still purchase if they have the item saved to their Watch list. 

Apparently, there is no 100% safe way an eBay seller can go on vacation without ending all your listings, and have a strategic scheduled re-listing set up.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply