cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opened a case but item is moving through postal system

I sold some coins to a buyer in Canada and shipped using eBay's international delivery system. I shipped on June 4, and the package moved a few times until doing nothing from June 10 until today. Suddenly today it arrived in the Miami international hub, so I emailed the buyer telling him it was moving again, thinking he'd appreciate the communication. Instead he opens a case and said he wants a refund because it is taking too long. Now this is a $75 order and for me that's a big deal (and it's not like it's an item he needs in a timely manner). I shipped on time, as tracking shows. The item is not lost as it was just scanned in today. I think it's unlikely to be delivered before July 5, which is the date that the buyer can escalate the case for a refund. How do I keep from losing $75 on this? I feel like the fact that the package was just scanned in should mean a refund is not appropriate. I am also using eBay's shipping service and they claim I am protected in case the package is lost, but how about if the buyer gets a refund and then the package arrives? I'm betting they're not going to pay an insurance claim on that. I had thought this buyer seemed reasonable until today, but now I don't feel like I can rely on him to do the right thing and I'm just hoping there's something I can do to protect myself here. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@fenryswulf 

Enter your tracking into the case..

If it gets close to the July 5th escalation date, request an extension.

If the item doesn't arrive, buyer gets a refund and item eventually does arrive, you can appeal & get your payment..

Good Luck!  

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Let the case ride. Give tracking to the case and state it was sent through Ebay International Shipping.

Wait.

If the box does not arrive in time, and the case goes against you, money removed... do not worry. When the box does arrive contact ebay again and they will reverse the decision. That aside, you are covered by Ebay but there a few ways they go about it. All depends on the ebay rep you get.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

How do you request an extension? Do you need to call someone or is there a way to do it online? I feel like it's really hard to find any information around this sort of thing. They seem to just want to pressure you to give a refund no matter what. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Do you need to call and talk to someone about this? 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@fenryswulf wrote:

How do you request an extension? Do you need to call someone or is there a way to do it online? I feel like it's really hard to find any information around this sort of thing. They seem to just want to pressure you to give a refund no matter what. 

If there isn't a button, in the case to click to do so, I would use this link to search for help.

I don't have any return requests so I can't see the available help functions but the contact for more help is also on this link.

I would be working on an extension on July 3rd if it were me.. 

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@fenryswulf wrote:

Do you need to call and talk to someone about this? 

I believe you do (since you can't call someone, you ask for a callback or get an agent through chat). This is something that is granted for exactly this type of case where an item is showing in transit as @pikabo-icu stated

The problem is if you get a cs that has no clue what they are doing. Unfortunately, the chances of this are high.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Alternatively, if you wish, I believe you can do a packaged recall and have the package re-routed back to you.

There is a fee for this, not sure if it's a fixed price or what, I had to do it once on a $200 item and it cost me about $20, but was worth it instead of losing the full value of the items.

Just another option to consider. I'd at least check into it and see if 1) it's possible at this point in the packages journey and 2) the cost.

Good luck

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

There is a fee for this, not sure if it's a fixed price or what, I had to do it once on a $200 item and it cost me about $20, but was worth it instead of losing the full value of the items.

Recalls are $15.25 plus Priority shipping cost. There is no charge if intercept is unsuccessful.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I don't know what's going on with parcels to Canada but this is becoming a regular thing lately. I've had 3 package in the last 90 days disappear from tracking for 3-4 weeks and then suddenly show movement again. The crazy part is that they are all 'still' in the USA, so the back-up is here in our country and not Canada. Stuff going overseas zips along nicely, but why the problem with getting packages 'next door' to Canada?

One of those 3 packages of mine completely disappeared. I had to refund. Thankfully, the other two buyers have been patient.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Canada recently had a lockdown due to Covid but I don't know if that's the reason. I also recently had a coin sent as a regular letter take more than 2 months to reach a customer in Spain. Fortunately he was patient and it arrived. Nowadays when an overseas or even domestic customer wants a refund I have no idea what to tell them since the mail is so unpredictable.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"When the box does arrive contact ebay again and they will reverse the decision. "

Maybe for sellers so large they have almost 47000 feedback, but it doesnt work that way for the rest of us.

Just saying.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply