cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left negative feedback falsely claiming I misrepresented the item

I sold an item (a pair of jeans). The buyer paid quickly, I left positive feedback, shipped the item, nearly two weeks passed.

Then, boom! All at once, the buyer sent a return request *and* left negative feedback claiming I misrepresented the item. I accepted the return request-but the item was described very accurately, and I can prove it if anyone would listen.

Unfortunately, what the buyer wrote in the feedback and in the return request reflects an obvious lack of knowledge. This buyer is misusing words with misplaced confidence, and doesn't have a good enough understanding of  "denim geek" vocabulary to know the listing was right and they're wrong. I only get one shot at a revision request, and they'll probably reject it with ignorance and impunity.

Again, once I caught up to it, I opened with offering a refund, even though I was shocked that the buyer gave me no chance to respond before just leaving damaging negative feedback.

I requested eBay remove the feedback and I reported the buyer, but it seems pretty clear from the response I got that eBay mostly only cares about straight insults and expletives. What can I do? Any words I can use to really get eBay's attention and help?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer left negative feedback falsely claiming I misrepresented the item

Exactly, the words are synonymous. It just means denim produced on a shuttle loom, and comes from the self-edge created in the process. The buyer doesn't understand that and also seems to think it implies other characteristics having to do with the fit and the wash.

Like I said, I know they wanted something else. No problem, return them, it doesn't mean I misrepresented anything.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

"The final sentence warning others to beware this buyer is unnecessary. That’s because the primary audience—the one that counts—is future buyers, not other sellers. Future buyers pay particular attention to how sellers handle themselves when an issue arises. They look for a seller’s concern and professionalism. If anger is present or criticism, it can undermine the seller’s image. "

Good point, unfortunately I do not believe I can change it, now.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

No, you can not change it now, but for future replies to FB, while everything fashun said was true, there is also no way for other sellers to identify that buyer - thier id is diguised to everyone except you - so the warning to 'watch out for this buyer' - is superfluous.

The rest of your reply was spot on and would not put me off from purchasing from you............

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I'd love to cite the website. Unfortunately, I bought the 101z (the buyer typo'ed) jeans in question on March 18, 2016, and stored them. The current ones are similar, but no longer USA made.

The Wayback Machine actually shows the jeans in their 2016 archive and says "selvage." I just wonder how convincing the broken display of the archive is. (scroll to the bottom)

https://web.archive.org/web/20160525191442/http://www.lee.com/shop/men-style-selvage/101z-selvage-le...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160626052129/http://www.lee.com:80/shop/men-style-selvage/101z-selvage...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160727114205/http://www.lee.com:80/shop/men-style-selvage/101z-selvage...

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Sounds like exactly my situation. Sorry to hear about it, but at least I know this happens and there's little a seller can do.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Thank you, that's a big help! I have been reluctant to reach out because I want to be careful with my messaging since the buyer is incorrect, but doesn't know they're incorrect. 

I do not want them to feel like they can complain about being hassled. Perhaps I'll copy/paste some of that after I complete the refund.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

It always seems like it's the people who buy low price items that are the biggest problem.  I just got a negative from someone who bought a 99 cent item with free shipping.  FedEx managed to lose it before they could scan it, and the buyer was convinced I never dropped it off.  Of course there is no correcting someone like this, who is convinced they are right despite the fact that FedEx could carry that package around the world 5 times but if they never scan it, it will look like it never left my desk.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

I would like to offer a big thanks to everyone who commented. I know I will have to try to convince the buyer to retract their feedback and as brief and fact-based and tactful as I will be, I'm not optimistic about my chances.

Still, this has been a useful learning experience for me and it informs a few things I will be doing differently in the future. 

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@nrrrd wrote:

I would like to offer a big thanks to everyone who commented. I know I will have to try to convince the buyer to retract their feedback and as brief and fact-based and tactful as I will be, I'm not optimistic about my chances.

Still, this has been a useful learning experience for me and it informs a few things I will be doing differently in the future. 

That's another reason you shouldn't have added the whole "Watch out for this buyer" phrase.  If they see that and get **bleep** off about it, no way will they agree to a revision.  In the future, I wouldn't reply to negative feedback that you are going to offer a revision chance on.  If they don't accept the revision, then you have plenty of time to respond to the negative.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@nrrrd wrote:

Thank you, that's a big help! I have been reluctant to reach out because I want to be careful with my messaging since the buyer is incorrect, but doesn't know they're incorrect. 

I do not want them to feel like they can complain about being hassled. Perhaps I'll copy/paste some of that after I complete the refund.

@nrrrd   Yes, you want to message them politely and professionally stating eBay's view of how business should be conducted.  Since they left you Negative Feedback I can assure you they are waiting for your reply and are anticipating an abrasive one from you.  When you do not deliver what they are expecting it just might make a difference.

The other thing eBay has in place is the return process whereby an item can be returned and the Buyer refunded which again, is part of doing business on eBay and the internet in general.  So EVEN in the case of returns Negative FB is not necessary if the Seller processes the refund at their end once the item is received ...

Additionally, with Feedback Revisions Sellers are permitted 5 per year ...

In any event, before you contact the Buyer make sure you have separated personal feelings from the business aspect of the transaction ... I know from personal experience that can be hard but it is necessary to get the situation off your chest so to speak so it does not affect you moving forward.

Best regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I had not noticed that you indicated they were NEW, but then were more vague in the description.  NEW is only for things that are for certain 100% new!  Not 'like new', not maybe I wore them once but can't remember, only 100% new. 

That said, I totally disagree with the poster who said you need to offer returns & especially so, with clothing.  As a clothing seller, most of the clothing sellers I know do NOT offer returns.  I provide measurements, so buyer can determine fit.   As you've discovered, you can still be forced to take a return (or at least to refund), but you do not have to take returns & it is not true that most clothing places offer free returns.  Ebay tells everyone this, but offhand, I can only think of maybe 2 places that offer free returns.  Most catalogs & stores allow returns, but you have to pay to ship the item back.  

Offering returns is a great way to have rentals, when it comes to clothing.   Everyone will tell you that if you don't, you'll get a bunch of fake SNADs.  I find that it depends on your demographic.  I have pretty much never done returns & have only had a handful of fake SNAD's ever.  Ultimately, it's up to you.  There are def some buyers who take comfort in having that safety blanket, but there are many more buyers who don't have a clue what their measurements are & are just going to give it a shot & return if they don't fit.   But it's your choice & it's absolutely not required just b/c you sell clothes. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

You're making me think about writing my listings as a defense attorney would 😉

They were/are in fact new. Six years old, but never washed or worn. You're right that I should have been more affirmative about that point. However, given the complaint about the simulated wear, it probably would not have helped in this case.

My listing  did state explicitly that the jeans are *not raw denim* and they had some light elements of fake wear from the factory, including whiskers (faded creases where the hip meets the thigh). 

Maybe, if I sell an item like this, again I should include a small glossary explaining terms that could be a bit esoteric for some shoppers? I think as long as it's in a separate section, it won't annoy the more knowledgable ones.

I'll note here that I received the return in perfect condition and issued a full refund yesterday. You make some good points about not taking returns. I actually chose the returns not accepted option only because I thought it would make shoppers read the listing very carefully before bidding. It doesn't seem so.

Now, I just want to let a few days pass and figure out how to convincingly approach the buyer about dropping the negative feedback. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I had something similar happen. Buyer bought the item then left neutral feedback but in the feedback they claimed i was rude and had stole the listing of the item somehow. I replied listing off everything false about their feedback and listening how i had given them and discount and sent them new pictures of the item in question before they had paid telling them if they had anymore questions to ask. They replied to my feedback reply calling me a liar and smearing me even more. I contacted Ebay asking to review they feedback but they said it didn`t violate policy and recommended i put in revision request which i did. Unfortunately, I didn`t know they revision request asked the buyer to revise their original feedback which they did making by making it every worse than before smearing me even worse. There is zero protection for buyers from this on here is seems.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 29 of 29
latest reply