cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claiming toy fell apart after they opened the package, advice needed

Sold a transformer that was delivered to the buyer a week ago.

They sent me a message just now saying that the toy fell apart after their son opened it. They sent me a picture and the toy is in 3 pieces. Didn't explicitly ask for a refund but I'm assuming that's what they would like.

How would you respond to this? There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the toy, I sourced it from retail. I suppose it's not impossible that there was an issue with it that wasn't visible but I really don't know what to make of this. Wouldn't be a huge loss, about $13

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you have another, ask if they would like a replacement, if not, just refund and move on. It's not worth returning at $13.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

"Hi, I'm so sorry there was a problem with it!  Go ahead and open a return and I'll be happy to give you a full refund once I get it back."

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If you have another, ask if they would like a replacement, if not, just refund and move on. It's not worth returning at $13.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

For an inexpensive item just tell them to keep the item and send them the refund through Paypal.  Don't get involved with Ebay.  Sure you eat some fees but sometimes simplicity rules.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sometimes forcing them to at the very least have to return it, makes them less willing to blame you for everything.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

Sometimes forcing them to at the very least have to return it, makes them less willing to blame you for everything.

Possibly, but they could take offense at that since they sent a picture and feel they are being hassled.  JMO

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
I hate to say it, but considering you said they received the toy a week ago, perhaps the toy fell apart from play. Transformers are meant to bend and transform into something else, forcing incorrect movement could easily break it.

However, even if this is what happened your still on the hook since nothing can be proven either way. Just be glad it's not an expensive item.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

They can feel hassled all they want.
A lot of buyers know this is how they get free stuff.
For all we know, the kid could of had another one they broke. Got this one as a replacement and sent pics of the original broken one.
Return for refund....rinse and repeat.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:
They can feel hassled all they want.
A lot of buyers know this is how they get free stuff.
For all we know, the kid could of had another one they broke. Got this one as a replacement and sent pics of the original broken one.
Return for refund....rinse and repeat.

Oh, I understand and agree.   We don't know what happened.  This could be legitimate or it could be as you say, child broke it or had a broken one.  Just pointing out that buyer might feel hassled, though, that's all.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I open a lot of figures to sell, shipping loose usually saves a lot on shipping. I personally know that some figures are just flawed and will actually fall apart or have major defects right out of the package- this is another reason I like to open items. Some issues I've seen- body parts or accessories broken/popping off, discoloration, peeling paint, and other general defects like having 2 left feet. I've also had some figures that were slimy from the oils they used to make the figures.

Some figures also are just notorious for issues, there are whole lines of figures I will just stay away from because I know they break often. One of the worst figures I've ever come into contact with was actually a Transformers figure- a Beast Wars Trans Metal Megatron. That figure breaks very easily, something to do with the plastic they used.

-I guess what I'm saying is I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I would ask them if they want a partial refund or if they want to return it. If it's under $30 I'd just fully refund them and apologize.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Maybe I am jaded but at least make them return it! I have seen too many buyers fishing for freebies by claiming a problem and wanting the refund but not willing to return the item.  At the end of the transaction, they get one or the other, item OR refund, not both.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

OMG BEAST WARS!!  I had SO MANY of those when I was a kid and NO, they often didn't last long.  Hottest item so badly made.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Maybe I am jaded but at least make them return it! I have seen too many buyers fishing for freebies by claiming a problem and wanting the refund but not willing to return the item.  At the end of the transaction, they get one or the other, item OR refund, not both.

It's a personal decision because sometimes the cost to get the item back on top of refunding price and original shipping is detrimental.  I recall an item I asked about what appeared to be damage and referred her to the pictures; seller didn't check but said it was fine.  It came with that damage and she wanted it back.  She paid for return shipping, then told me she had to throw it away.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply