cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer changes address on check out...

I got a message from a buyer asking about shipping in Canada. I quoted a price for shipping. He bought the item and I sent an invoice with shipping for Canada.

I received the payment and went to print the invoice and noticed he'd changed it to an International location.

I don't have International shipping, all countries are blocked, anyone in another country can only order if I've given them an exception (and I didn't give this buyer an exception otherwise I would have quoted him more than $5 in shipping).

How is it that a buyer can change their address to a place you don't ship?

C.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buyer changes address on check out...

@sin-n-dex wrote:

If the location of the address is a country excluded in your shipping set up on the listing then I don't know how the buyer could use an address for a blocked location.

I would cancel the transaction using "problem with address" - if the buyer wants to re-purchase with a Canada address they can.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I've read this is possible when an invoice is sent. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will come along.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

If the location of the address is a country excluded in your shipping set up on the listing then I don't know how the buyer could use an address for a blocked location.

I would cancel the transaction using "problem with address" - if the buyer wants to re-purchase with a Canada address they can.

It's a letter sized item that would generally go without tracking (if to a Canadian address). I emailed him to tell him I don't ship to Hong Kong, I reminded him he was asking about shipping within Canada before he purchased. Then I said I'm sure it was just an oversight on check out and please provide me with the Canadian address.

He replied that some of his shipments are going overseas and he uses the Canadian address for stuff that can't (so yes it was an oversight when he selected his address on check out). He said "ship it to my Canadian address", but still has not provided what that address actually is (I had replied to please provide the address, he misread that instruction in my original message).

He replied very quickly to my first message, so I expected a quick reply with the Canadian address, but no such luck. I only have a couple of hours if it's going to be shipped tomorrow and I don't make many trips to the post office because of COVID-19.

I just find there's a higher level of frustration all around in selling as of lately... it seems that the minute I solve one problem, someone gives me another problem, and there's a general lack of cooperation from buyers in helping solve the problems they create.

C.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@lecroy3 wrote:

I've read this is possible when an invoice is sent. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will come along.

It happened to me before, but the address was changed after purchase but before payment so I got a warning that India was not on my allowed destinations list and suggested I cancel.

I'm wondering if I sent out the invoice originally with his Canadian address on it, and it got changed only on check out. That might be a simple fix for solving this issue.

C.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

As a Canadian I know it cost a lot more to ship to internationally.  Maybe he had the wrong address listed when he sent payment. I have 3 addresses (2 in the US) but I must choose which one before I pay. 

I would cancel the transaction using "problem with address" and ask him to change it to the Canadian one.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@nkmipgolf wrote:

As a Canadian I know it cost a lot more to ship to internationally.  Maybe he had the wrong address listed when he sent payment. I have 3 addresses (2 in the US) but I must choose which one before I pay. 

I would cancel the transaction using "problem with address" and ask him to change it to the Canadian one.

I think he's in Hong Kong but having it shipped to someone he knows in Canada, and on my buyer profiling, I do not think there is any scam or likelihood of anything bad happening with this transaction, except me having to cancel it.

I'm fine with him sending me the address if he chooses to do that. If he doesn't do it within a few days I will cancel with problem with address and message him that he should repurchase it if he still wants it.

C.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

To be safe, you always ship to the the address in the paypal payment. If the address is submitted via messaging to correct a paypal payment address, this would be a red flag for me. I would ask the buyer to request a cancellation and after cancelled, they can repurchase and pay using the correct address. If they do not agree to do this, then I would not make the deal. Just do a refund and say problem with transaction. Not sure where to go at this moment because everything seems to change so don't want to lead you in the wrong direction but in general, this is a red flag and when we see them, we need to trust our instincts which are usually right.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@funnymaniac wrote:

To be safe, you always ship to the the address in the paypal payment. If the address is submitted via messaging to correct a paypal payment address, this would be a red flag for me. I would ask the buyer to request a cancellation and after cancelled, they can repurchase and pay using the correct address. If they do not agree to do this, then I would not make the deal. Just do a refund and say problem with transaction. Not sure where to go at this moment because everything seems to change so don't want to lead you in the wrong direction but in general, this is a red flag and when we see them, we need to trust our instincts which are usually right.

I am trusting my instincts. First of all, to ship this thing within Canada will not have tracking (unless I pay $18 to ship to the buyer's Canada address), so whatever address he provides doesn't matter, because if he provided the right one in the first place, I'd have no leg to stand on with an INR.

My instincts also tell me that when someone buys a $5 item with no resale value at all (it's something you'd purchase just because you like it), that I'm not about to be defrauded for my item.

If the item was a Morgan Dollar or Caribbean 1oz silver coin, I'd feel a lot differently.

C.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@lecroy3 wrote:

It happens all the time as foreign sellers ask how much for local shipping and then when they pay use a foreign address.

It is a game that Ebay has not stopped yet and probably don't care about.

Cancel due to problem with address and block the buyer.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply