cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer being unreasonable, what can I do

Sold a  pottery vase for 40.00 plus 25.00 shipping.  It actually cost me 30.30 to ship the item.  Packed it well.  The item arrived broken, and she said she felt it was the post office's mishandling of it that caused the breakage.  I told her I would send her the receipt so she could file a claim where she lives.  She said she is not willing to do that, she wants  a refund.  I guess I'm not sure how to handle this.  Your thoughts.  I feel she should go and file for a refund in California,so the problem is she has the box and broken vase and I have the receipt.  Guess I am at a loss right.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer being unreasonable, what can I do

@7606dennis wrote:

Actually, if she filed a return request using a NAD reason, you are required to accept the return and pay the return shipping.  The fact that you underestimated the cost of shipping is irrelevant.

You could just go ahead and refund without a return and ask her to hold onto the damaged item in case the PO wants to inspect the damage for your insurance claim.  However, I don't believe you can force the buyer to comply.

The seller must pay for return shipping IF they want the item back.

In this case, it makes more sense to just refund, based on images of the damage, and then ask the buyer to hold onto the item and packaging. Indeed, the seller cannot force the buyer to cooperate with the insurance claim.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

The item should be automatically insured for up to $50. 

In my opinion, it's not worth the time and effort involved to file a claim.

Besides that, on a item like a vase, the USPS will almost always say it was not packaged good enough and deny the claim. 

I would just refund the buyer and be done with it.   Go on with life. 

Good luck to you and stay safe. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Or the seller can just file the claim with USPS and hope that they don't ask to look at the item.  

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

The item should be automatically insured for up to $50. 

In my opinion, it's not worth the time and effort involved to file a claim.

Besides that, on a item like a vase, the USPS will almost always say it was not packaged good enough and deny the claim. 

I would just refund the buyer and be done with it.   Go on with life. 

Good luck to you and stay safe. 

If the package was shipped via USPS Priority, and the label was printed and paid for on eBay, it is insured to $100. Regardless, the package is insured by the USPS, so recovering the $40 should not be a problem. May take some time for getting the claim handled, but the seller should be covered.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

The OP is not a Top Rated Seller, so the insurance that is included with their eBay Priority Mail label is $50.

USPS might deny the claim based on inadequate packaging, but filing the claim online takes just a few minutes so it's worth a try.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

The buyer is not being unreasonable.  You are.  It is up to you to get the item to the buyer and to get it there intact.  If you fail to do that, you must make the buyer whole, with refund or replacement.

You can, in turn, file an insurance claim to cover your loss.  You are the one with the insurance contract with the carrier, so you're the one who files a claim.  It is not the buyer's concern.

If you doubt me, consult the Uniform Commercial Code.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Actually, if she filed a return request using a NAD reason, you are required to accept the return and pay the return shipping.  The fact that you underestimated the cost of shipping is irrelevant.

You could just go ahead and refund without a return and ask her to hold onto the damaged item in case the PO wants to inspect the damage for your insurance claim.  However, I don't believe you can force the buyer to comply.

The seller must pay for return shipping IF they want the item back.

In this case, it makes more sense to just refund, based on images of the damage, and then ask the buyer to hold onto the item and packaging. Indeed, the seller cannot force the buyer to cooperate with the insurance claim.

Isn't that what I said?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Not exactly. The seller is not required to pay for return shipping, since they can choose not to ask the buyer to return the item.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

When you say “the carrier sends the money back to me” do the mean the U.S.Post Office,UPS, Federal Express or another carrier that I’m not familiar with. If you try to make a claim with the Post Office, you could die of old age before getting a reply, much less money for loss or damaged goods. They have lost  my package, have admitted their bad, and for over a year, every 3 months I got  a notice that “they’re working on resolving the problem “.It took me at least a dozen letters to EVERY POSSIBLE person/company/or otherwise helpful suggestions for the Post Office to even acknowledge my situation.It became a quest, yes like Chevy Chase going to his “Disneyland” in that film. I had a very cool buyer; didn’t demand a refund, and was willing to wait because he knew it wasn’t my fault and I showed him proof of my emails etc. After 18 months he received it! Yes, we both live in the U.S. and there’s no excuse as far as I can tell.It was correctly addressed and I took a picture of the outside of the package to prove my point to the Post Office and my buyer. Sorry I got sidetracked and I just rambled on! I guess after that situation you need to share it with someone!

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I feel the whole “I got the item broken stuff on here “to be a pain in the behind. It is quite possible that a fragile item such as this could arrive broken due to mishandling. The part that gets me about this is that a buyer can make a claim like this and then be allowed to NOT COOPERATE with the seller.  Many scammer can use this to their advantage even if it is a basically cheap item to get if free becuase who the heck is going to ship back a broken item or what seller will pay for a broke item to come back. There needs to be a HECK OF A LOT amore accountability on the buyers parent here but of course that wont happen becuase buyers can continue to get away with just about everything on here.  Oh well. It is what it is here.  Carry on my wayward son.

Thank you Kansas ..........

Actually, the buyer shouldn't be filing for the insurance - what was said earlier was proper - seller asks for photos and the buyer to keep item and all packaging, refunds buyer, then files for insurance.

The only thing missing is that the buyer is not required to help the seller in a situation like this, and that is just wrong.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

The buyer is not being unreasonable. Insurance is for the person who shipped it.

You'll be lucky not to get a defect and a neg by expecting the buyer to jump through hoops.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@mimiwells wrote:

Sold a  pottery vase for 40.00 plus 25.00 shipping.  It actually cost me 30.30 to ship the item.  Packed it well.  The item arrived broken, and she said she felt it was the post office's mishandling of it that caused the breakage.  I told her I would send her the receipt so she could file a claim where she lives.  She said she is not willing to do that, she wants  a refund.  I guess I'm not sure how to handle this.  Your thoughts.  I feel she should go and file for a refund in California,so the problem is she has the box and broken vase and I have the receipt.  Guess I am at a loss right.

The insurance is for you and not the buyer, they have the MBG.

They didn't get what they ordered so you have to refund them and you use the insurance to make your own claim.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

The part that gets me about this is that a buyer can make a claim like this and then be allowed to NOT COOPERATE with the seller.  

Supposedly there are some "protections" when a buyer refuses to cooperate but no blue has ever stated what those "protections" are to my knowledge.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@mimiwells wrote:

The insurance is for you and not the buyer, they have the MBG.

They didn't get what they ordered so you have to refund them and you use the insurance to make your own claim.

@elferg_1997  and @monster-deals are correct.  The buyer is not being unreasonable, and it is not the buyer who must file the claim but rather the seller.

@mimiwells, as the seller and shipper, has a contract with USPS for the safe delivery of the vase to the buyer.  Therefore, @mimiwells must file the claim with USPS, not the buyer.  However, the buyer MUST participate in the claim process and provide all necessary pictures, evidence, and information necessary for making this claim with USPS.  If the buyer fails to provide the necessary supporting information and evidence then the buyer would be unreasonable.

The buyer has a contract with the seller for the safe delivery of the vase in the condition described and pictured in the listing.  If the buyer does not receive the item in the described/pictured condition then the buyer must open a case for an item-not-as-described and the seller has a responsibility to process a full refund.

This is all about contracts.  The buyer has a contract with the seller, not with USPS, and the seller has a contract with USPS.  Therefore, the buyer must deal with the seller and the seller must deal with USPS.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply