cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asks "How many items do you have?"

If you have a listing that you can get a constant stream of the item from your supplier and keep a good amount of stock in hand, and a potential buyer asks "How many of these items do you have?"

What would your answer be?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

'How many items are you interested in purchasing? If you can give me a general idea, I will check to see if I can get that quantity from my supplier.' I always reply with a question asking for specifics.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I would ask how many they need / want, and what their desired time frame is.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Totally agree with all the above. How many you have is none of their business; it's how many they want (or need) that matters. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your interest.  I appreciate your question.  How many would you need and when would you expect them?  I look forward to your response and to doing business with you.  If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  Thank you again.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"How many do you need? And by when?

Currently I have 'xx' in stock, but can replenish my stock quickly if you need more"

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Agreed, because there's a good chance the average buyer is phishing to find out if they can wait to purchase or they want to know what your profit is on the item, how readily available it is, if they can find elsewhere... If they aren't interested in purchasing a certain amount, like previous poster stated, it's none of their business.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

True.  Hopefully they do have a large quantity in mind and the OP gets a fantastic sale out of this question.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@jtro8059 wrote:
'How many items are you interested in purchasing? If you can give me a general idea, I will check to see if I can get that quantity from my supplier.' I always reply with a question asking for specifics.

This is exactly what I said when someone asked me that question.  They gave me an answer, I checked, and sure enough, I was able to get that many for them.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

answer with question of how many you want/need. being honest and telling them you 26 of them will obviously turn off buyers.  they want to think its only one, but if they buy and then see you relisting it, its not so valuable anymore and they get funny about it.

had a buyer ask after the fact, then threatned neg feedback if i didnt give a discount refund as he says he wouldnt have bought it if he knew i had that many to sell. 

Aslo had alot of an item, it was selling for a certain price for a bit, then no sales, lwered price and a buyer came back with if i knew you had that many and were gonna lower price i wouldnt have bought it. I try to expalin stores put stuff on sale or lower prices too. Neg feedback was again threatended unless i refunded the difference of the new price i was selling it at.  walmart dont care if they get negative feedback, but i do!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

If you have a listing that you can get a constant stream of the item from your supplier and keep a good amount of stock in hand, and a potential buyer asks "How many of these items do you have?"

Hmmmm.  It would depend on a lot of things. 

Is it an item that one person would want more than a few for personal use?  How many would they use in 10 years?  Sounds like it could be someone wanting to use you as their dropshipper or supplier their customers.  Is it a question one would expect, somewhere along the line, for this particular product?  Why would they be interested in knowing? Is it a competitor?  (You're right, I don't trust too many people nowadays.  Smiley Very Happy  )

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@ultimate_collectables wrote:

answer with question of how many you want/need. being honest and telling them you 26 of them will obviously turn off buyers.  they want to think its only one, but if they buy and then see you relisting it, its not so valuable anymore and they get funny about it.

The OP is not selling collectibles.

Bigdeals sells new items in multi-quantity, multi-variation listings, not single quantity "one-offs".

It is reasonable to expect that they may have more than the 50 items they show available on the listing (if not on hand, then through their supplier).

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

If they're interested in purchasing more than one  just ask them to give you advanced notice . Tulips 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

(You're right, I don't trust too many people nowadays.  Smiley Very Happy  )

Not a bad thing.  Certainly better than trusting too many, or the wrong people.

The only one looking out for you, may be you.Smiley HappySmiley Wink

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I got xx, at $xx.xx discounted price for you. 

Let me know how many you want, I can make a special listing for only you. Smiley Wink

Did I mention free shipping? Smiley Very Happy

latest reply