cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abusing return & still wins return case

The same day the item got delivered, the buyer opened a case as "Doesn't match description or photos" with comment: "N" and that same day I got a message from the buyer: "I need to return. It's still in the same package you sent. Thanks for your cooperation in proceeding”.

At that point for me is clear the buyer just wants to return the item (buyers remorse), he/she is not claiming any problem with the device, but still opened the case as "Doesn't match description or photos" to force me to pay for the return shipping anyway.

In the case I asked what's the problem with the device and the buyer started claiming that the USB port didn't work, I asked different questions about what device was he trying to use/connect to it, and how, etc. Buyer only reply to one or two of the questions.

In the end my last message in the case was about the message the buyer sent to me at the begging and how the case was opened. Looks like eBay didn't read any of my messages in the case or check the message the buyer sent to me at all.

But like you all know the buyer won the case in the end.... So I paid / will pay for 2 shipping USPS Priority Mail, fees, packing material, time, etc. I just hope my item gets back intact w/o any intentionally made damage...

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sorry but thats how eBay works.

eBay does not care about the seller and will not look at any emails or proof. 

99% of the time they just blindly accept that the buyer is honest and right.

Had a buyer contact me letting me know that the vase I sold was only 2" tall and not 4" tall.

AND she has bought lots of items (FB of 7) and I can either refund her or she will file a case an I will loose.

Since I know eBay would never believe me because I have been doing this for 9 years.... and I have never seen a 2" vase, the scamming buyer received a refund and a spot on my BBL.

Always best just to refund and block and be done. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Welcome to eBay!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Sorry but thats how eBay works.

eBay does not care about the seller and will not look at any emails or proof. 

99% of the time they just blindly accept that the buyer is honest and right.

Had a buyer contact me letting me know that the vase I sold was only 2" tall and not 4" tall.

AND she has bought lots of items (FB of 7) and I can either refund her or she will file a case an I will loose.

Since I know eBay would never believe me because I have been doing this for 9 years.... and I have never seen a 2" vase, the scamming buyer received a refund and a spot on my BBL.

Always best just to refund and block and be done. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Ebay significantly changed the return system last year.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/simplified-returns.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

ebay only says that a seller will be protected from abusive buyers.   Respectfully speaking, ebay doesn't state what qualifies a buyer to be defined as being abusive.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

ebay only says that a seller will be protected from abusive buyers.   Respectfully speaking, ebay doesn't state what qualifies a buyer to be defined as being abusive.

Yes they do.  It is abuse of the return system.  What they aren't going to tell us is how many reports by the sellers it takes to deem them Abusive.  I know we all would like to know that, but Ebay isn't going to share that information.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

The buyer threatened you with either a case or a refund? Report that buyer immediately! It is against eBay rules for a buyer to use the threat of either negative feedback or opening a case to recieve a refund. NO ONE is getting a straight up refund from me without, A: a legit reason, and B: Sending the item back. Unless of course, it is my fault, then I just refund. DO NOT LET BUYERS RUN YOU OVER.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

They are going to tell us how many reports it takes to deem an Abusive buyer One day after they will start sharing with us the specific % and numbered returns of your "Peers" in the relevant categories for the seller metrics scheme...

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@flyingmvp wrote:

They are going to tell us how many reports it takes to deem an Abusive buyer One day after they will start sharing with us the specific % and numbered returns of your "Peers" in the relevant categories for the seller metrics scheme...

@flyingmvp 

The Service Metrics is a completely different thing.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Actually, eBay will look at emails between members if you don't accept returns.   What they don't do is make the buyer prove it's not as described, they take their word,  and the seller can't prove it is as described.  EXCEPT  if the buyer claims it's not as described and there's proof  they didn't even open the package (they admitted it) they'll still make you accept the refund but they might give you a courtesy refund or coupon for the return shipping you were forced to pay for a fraudulent claim.   So call them and speak to a supervisor.  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Yes they do.  It is abuse of the return system.  What they aren't going to tell us is how many reports by the sellers it takes to deem them Abusive.  I know we all would like to know that, but Ebay isn't going to share that information.

Most likely, an abusive buyer is a buyer who starts costing ebay money rather than the seller.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@flyingmvp wrote:

@flyingmvp 

The Service Metrics is a completely different thing.

Pretty sure the poster is aware of that.

Ever heard of a thing called irony?

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Yes they do.  It is abuse of the return system.  Sorry, I could have stated it better, but I guess I thought that was a given, considering the topic.  What they aren't going to tell us is how many reports by the sellers it takes to deem them Abusive.  Yes, how many times and which particular actions are the 'what'  to which I was referring.  I know we all would like to know that, but Ebay isn't going to share that information.

Sometimes I write 'funny'.  Smiley Happy

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

eBay is the one letting the buyer run over me, by not checking the eMessage the buyer sent to me or reading my last message in the case. =(
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Don't worth wasting my time with eBay anymore, this only shows me how bad the return cases are handle.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply