cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abuse of eBay return policy (with Proof)

cybergoodscentral
Adventurer

I've suspected this happening before but could not proove it, and while eBay says they protect sellers as well as buyers, they did nothing to assist me last time this happened. This time I can proove the buyer is dishonest and abusing the system. What can I expect from eBay when I call them tomorrow? Has anyone else experienced this?

Story is as follows:

-Buyer purchases item from me. I print a shipping label through the eBay system 1 hour later, USPS Priority 2 day. Scheduled pickup for the next day.

-Buyer leaves positive feedback the following day, with a message saying that I did not include a tracking number. This is false, I printed the shipping label 1 hour after the buyer made the purchase and scheduled to have it picked up the following day. This tracking number would have updated in the buyers My eBay, as it had mine. Red flag number 1.

-I then check the buyers feedback left for other sellers. They are full of notes from other sellers questioning the feedback left. Example, one negative fedback rating, but the message says the the seller is highly recommended, with a followup message from the seller asking why the feedback is negative if he is highly recommended... red flag number 2.

-Exactly 9 calendar days later, buy opens an "Item not as described case". I honor my return policies, which was a 14 day policy. But first checked the tracking information to see when my item was delivered. According to USPS the item was NOT delivered, indicating a problem with delivery, lost package, etc. The tracking info showed the Priority 2-Day package sat ay my local USPS hub for 6 days, then arrived in the sellers city 4 days later, and then The message was "Delivery status not updated". I leave a note in the return details asking if the buyer ment to open an item not received case instead of not as described. Buyer answers by demanding me to send a return label to send the faulty item back. We all know how reliable to USPS "delivery confirmation" system is, so I figured the mail piece was not scanned when delivered or something, and approved the return.

-To be on the safe side, and because I suspected foul play based on all the above, I paid USPS to intercept my original package that I sent, just in case.

-3 days later, I now have two packages, the original package that I sent to the buyer, and the fradulent package that the buyer sent to me with an identical item inside of it with the label that I paid to have him send it to me through the NAD case that he opened. I have proof of the intercept, and the original tracking number still says "Delivery status not updated".

-My original package has a damaged label, the delivery address was ripped off. The return address area, and barcode portion were all gone. The USPS lady explained that is why the package couldn't be delivered, which of course makes sense. Luckily the portion of the label with the return address was still stuck there, so they were able to bring my package back.

I understand that since the buyer did not receive the item, he is due a refund. But this is abuse of an item not as described case, since the buyer never received the item. I test everything before I sell it, so I knew it was a working item. NAD effects my seller rating differently, than a problem due to USPS ripping my label off. It makes it seem that I am selling shady items if I get hit with enough of these. I use a Zebra labeler  with good sticky labels, like Amazon packages come with, so I don't understand how the label was partially ripped off, but at this point this doesn't matter.

What, if anything, does eBay do to the buyers like this that are the scum of the eBay community? I have buyer requirements setup for all my items to avoid buyers like this, but he was still able to make a puchase from me:

• Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item strike(s) within 12 month(s)
  • Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
  • Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1
  • Have bid on or bought my items in the last 10 days and have met my limit of 1 and who have a feedback score of 0 or lower

Are there any other ways that I can protect myself in the future since eBay isn't going to do it for me, or give me the tools to properly do it myself? I am thinking of getting some "warranty void if removed" stickers that are serialized and tamper evident, taking a picture of it in the listings, and only accepting the return if it's stil in tact once received like the major manufacturers do. If anything, maybe it will divert these type of buyers from my listings, which are mostly categorized as computer electronics, and parts for home and business equipment.

Thanks for your time

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@cybergoodscentral wrote:

The return address area, and barcode portion were all gone.

Luckily the portion of the label with the return address was still stuck there

No, not confusing at all.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

Sorry, I mean the return address was there but the delivery address was gone.
Message 17 of 56
latest reply

"Are there any other ways that I can protect myself in the future since eBay isn't going to do it for me, or give me the tools to properly do it myself?"

--------------

It's sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable already,

so the only thing I can add is:

Only list items on eBay you can afford to lose if totally defrauded.

Jmtcw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

Sorry, it was a lot to type in my OP, lol. I should have said, the item was identical in appearance, but faulty that was sent back to me. But you are right, he has nothing to gain here. I just have my seller ratings, and the cost to have him send junk back to me to loose.

That's a pretty important detail to leave out.  Now it does make more sense to call it a scam that you caught him trying to pull.

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

So

what happens in 160 days, or so

when the buyer files a Not As Described with Paypal?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

Yeah that's part of the reason I posted here before calling eBay tomorrow. I was a little heated admittedly when typing, and there are a lot of details and easy to leave something out, but at the same time not write a book about my experience. I read my first OP and shortened it quite a bit before posting because I didn't want it to be too long. You guys help me to see where I may need to clarify details when I make my case to eBay.
Message 21 of 56
latest reply

Now that you you have the original item back, you do owe him a refund, jerk that he is.

As for calling eBay, that really won't help. He opened a SNAD claim, you sent a label, he returned a package using that label so when tracking shows it delivered back to you, the refund will be automatic. 

You still get the defect. If you can get a CS rep to understand that it would have been impossible for the buyer to return something he never got in the first place, you will be very lucky. Getting them to remove the defect will require even greater luck.

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

-3 days later, I now have two packages, the original package that I sent to the buyer, and the fradulent package that the buyer sent to me with an identical item inside of it with the label that I paid to have him send it to me through the NAD case that he opened. I have proof of the intercept, and the original tracking number still says "Delivery status not updated".

Umm, the buyer sent you an identical item?  What, exactly, was "fraudulent" about this thing?  In what way do you think the buyer was "trying to rip you off"?!?  Looks to me like he bought the same item from 2 different sellers and got you mixed up with the other seller.  What other explanation could there be when he hadn't received your package but sent you back an identical item?!
If he HAD wanted to rip you off, all he had to file was file an INR - and he would have won (and kept the money and the item).
You owe the buyer a refund of his payment.  It would be (at the least) courtesous to let him know you will mail his item back to him if he pays for shipping.
What class of shipping did you use that did not include return service?
Last comment based on something you said about a hit on your account...You don't get a "pass" from eBay for a USPS-caused problem - eBay holds you responsible even when it is not your direct fault or is a circumstance outside of your control.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 23 of 56
latest reply

he claims that he bought a new part from someone else.

Am I the only read who saw instantly that this

he bought a new part from someone else

is what happened?!  This is not an unusual circumstance!  It happens rather frequently!

Message 24 of 56
latest reply

-Buyer leaves positive feedback the following day, with a message saying that I did not include a tracking number. This is false, I printed the shipping label 1 hour after the buyer made the purchase and scheduled to have it picked up the following day. This tracking number would have updated in the buyers My eBay, as it had mine. Red flag number 1.

@cybergoodscentral

I think all that happened in reality is the buyer bought two identical items and got the sellers mixed up.

Buyers get sellers mixed up all the time.  When something weird happens like you get a feedback that does not apply to your transaction, that should raise a red flag.  To prevent this type of thing happening again, you could just copy/paste the tracking number into a message, include the item no., etc. to make sure he hasn't confused you with another seller.  It should also have occurred to you that the buyer might have dinged some stars, and that a feedback revision might be in order.

You have your item back, another seller's item, and the buyer is out his money paid for both items...and you have cut off communication, all premised on your belief that the buyer was a scammer, and no matter how many clues there were that the buyer mixed you up with the other seller.

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

Thanks for your comments. If this is correct, then the seller overlooked the return label on the box from the other seller, in addition to everything else. I'm inclined to agree, however my item was a used, tested working item. The seller claimed that he bought a new item from someone else. The box he sent to me had OEM packaging, foam cuts specifically for the the item. My box was filled with peanuts as I didn't have OEM packaging. So this assumes the item the buyer received from the other seller was bad. It's possible I guess to receive a bad item that is sealed from the manufacturer... but...

I did send the tracking number to the buyer, and also a screenshot of the tracking page on USPS showing that the delivery status was not available. It did not prevent this issue. He just became more defensive. Communication isn't very effective after that.

And like I mentioned earlier, I suggested to the buyer that this is what may have happened. I even mentioned to the buyer that the box he sent to me has someone elses return address under the ebay return label, not mine. There's a number of things that the buyer had to mix up in order for this to happen, if this were the case.

And yes after I realized that the buyer was on the defensive and not hearing anything, I ceased communication with him, as he with me. To me, when the conversation turns to an ebonic vernacular, and other non-professional language then it's time to let eBay step in.
Message 26 of 56
latest reply

Yes true, refund is processing since he never got my item.

Whatever happens, I'll update this thread.

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

he claims that he bought a new part from someone else.

Am I the only read who saw instantly that this

he bought a new part from someone else

is what happened?!  This is not an unusual circumstance!  It happens rather frequently!

Well, that proves it is a remorse return, hope they have it in a message can't hurt.

But in the end, the seller has his good item back, had to paid to have someone elses junk sent back.   bummer.

refund, if ebay didn't do it already, block them, and get on with life.

Slow typer corner for me. 

Message 28 of 56
latest reply

"The box he sent to me had OEM packaging, foam cuts specifically for the the item."

that sounds like a new item
Message 29 of 56
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:
"The box he sent to me had OEM packaging, foam cuts specifically for the the item."

that sounds like a new item

I keep all my OEM packaging, I have a room for it... the box room.

I have boxes with all the custom packing, just in case I need to ship it.

The OP said the one returned was not working.  not sure the condition visually.

What really happened, it will remain a mistery.

Message 30 of 56
latest reply