cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wants to Return Item that Doesn't Fit, No Returns Policy

Buyer made a purchase for a shirt which included measurements in the description. The item was delivered 11 days ago. I have a "no returns" policy. The stated reason was that it didn't fit and in the comments, they said it was a cute top but too short. I'd love to provide a great customer service experience to build up my followers/buyers, but something about this isn't sitting right with me. First, why did it take 11 days to determine it didn't fit (maybe that's just me, but I try everything on when I receive it). Second, the measurements were clearly in the description, including length of item. Third, I have found information in these forums to suggest that even though I should not be liable for paying for return shipping, it's possible for the buyer to get a hold of eBay customer service once they realize they will need to pay for shipping and for eBay to then force me to pay for return shipping. Finally, I'm concerned with eBay's policy about items being returned damaged, especially given the length of time since this item was delivered.  eBay does not cover damaged items and instead passes it on to the shipping provider and their "insurance," which is not reassuring to me in the least. 

I've been selling for 11 years, but only randomly. This is the first time I've attempted to open a store and build a small business so if established sellers could provide insight or advice as to how they would handle the situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Great, thank you! I accepted the return 🙂

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Are you sure "doesn't fit" means the buyer pays the return shipping cost?
It's never worked that way for me.
Doesn't Fit means I pay the shipping both ways.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

I believe that in your category 'doesn't fit vehicle' works differently if eBay's Guaranteed Fit is on the listing. 'Doesn't fit' in itself has always meant that the buyer pays for return shipping unless the seller has free returns. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

Are you sure "doesn't fit" means the buyer pays the return shipping cost?
It's never worked that way for me.
Doesn't Fit means I pay the shipping both ways.

Your selling auto parts and if the buyer selects it doesn't fit my vehicle, you pay return shipping.

If they selected doesn't fit, it would be a remorse return, then the buyer pays return shipping, unless you offer free returns.

Have a great day
Message 19 of 19
latest reply