cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Reneges

Buyer bid at the last minute and won my auction. I messaged him and he backed out, stating that he bought another one instead. I emailed and said that legally he was obligated to buy the item. What recourse do I have?  

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Buyer Reneges

I don’t sell many things. The printer is one of two I’m selling. I  have no worries about that because I offer local pickup or they pay for shipping. I’m not worried about the new buyer. He’s established and willing to arrange the pickup for shipping. 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

It could happen that if the seller files a UID the buyer will pay just to be spiteful and take advantage of every remedy they have. Much safer to just cancel and hope they go away.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

I did cancelled after y’all said it was best. Well, most of you did! They can’t touch me now and I have written proof that they backed out and I followed the rules  

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@lovemykindle wrote:

He or she isn’t responding to my message. I canceled the auction and will just move on. I don’t use eBay often and now I understand the issues people have with auctions. I learned a lesson and have another buyer ready to buy and ship at his expense per his FedEx account. I’m quarantined and can’t get out to ship it anyway. I could just do a private sale but am not willing to screw with eBay. For a few bucks it’s worth using eBay.

Thank you all for your help. 

Frankly, in my opinion you made a mistake by cancelling the transaction.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

@lovemykindle wrote:

Because anyone buying the item has to arrange for shipping. Usually I can’t get out to ship things easily as I’m disabled in a wheelchair. 

Oh, you are so lucky this buyer did what they did.  If they hadn't, you would have had much bigger issues.  You can't do this on Ebay.  That single dollar you charged the buyer on the item you had purchased would have been ALL they had to pay you for shipping.  

The actual packaging and shipping of the item would have been all on you.

You really should close your other listings as quickly as possible until you figure out how you are going to handle this.  It is a very serious matter.  If you can't package and ship the items, then you need someone to come over and do it for you.  You also need a much better idea of how much shipping is going to cost or you will lose a lot of money on shipping.

Sellers are responsible for packaging and shipping.  Buyers are responsible for paying any shipping charge you have on that listing, no more.

@lovemykindle 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@lovemykindle wrote:

I don’t sell many things. The printer is one of two I’m selling. I  have no worries about that because I offer local pickup or they pay for shipping. I’m not worried about the new buyer. He’s established and willing to arrange the pickup for shipping. 

The item you sold did NOT say local pick up.  You charged a shipping fee of $1.00.  So you would have needed to actually ship the item to the buyer.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

It could happen that if the seller files a UID the buyer will pay just to be spiteful and take advantage of every remedy they have. Much safer to just cancel and hope they go away.

In light of the misunderstandings of the OP on how they listed the item.  I would run to file the cancellation and lessen my risk that they actually might pay.  If they pay, the OP has bigger problems regarding shipping the item.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Shipping would cost as much as the printer. I explained the facts about shipping and the buyer understands. I sold it and learned a lot about eBay and shipping. I’m glad that I don’t use it much. Years ago you could buy new items for a great price. Now they’re higher than the stores. 

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@lovemykindle wrote:

Shipping would cost as much as the printer. I explained the facts about shipping and the buyer understands. I sold it and learned a lot about eBay and shipping. I’m glad that I don’t use it much. Years ago you could buy new items for a great price. Now they’re higher than the stores. 

Well that may have been why they decided not to pay.

Please know that even with that agreement with your buyer, the Ebay rules does not allow for that.  You can't force any buyer into accepting that after the purchase.  On listings like these it is NOT something Ebay allows.  Its against the rules and will only cause you more problems if you continue to do this.

Only listing things that you can package and ship yourself or with the help of someone else.  

There are a large variety of stuff on Ebay.  And like any place else some things are higher priced and some things are not.  There are still all kinds of great deals here.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply