cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Obviously Did Not Read Description....

Recently I sold a - Vintage BOSE SoundDock Portable iPod iPhone DIGITAL Music SYSTEM, APPLE iPOD 4GB which stated in the listing - The SoundDock works, however the age and charging capacity of the removable battery pack is unknown and therefore cannot be guaranteed to hold a charge. - in 24 point font at the bottom of the listing in a separate paragraph right after and along with the description of the condition. The Buyer, (who I just discovered also apparently sells BOSE SoundDocks, the batteries and other BOSE AV items on ebay for a lot more money than the one they purchased from me), received the BOSE and although said they were satisfied with the sound, they discovered the battery does not hold a charge and wants to return it, not pay for shipping, as with the battery not holding a charge, they claim the BOSE is not considered to be - Portable. In their words - The battery is dead means the unit is useless as portable and part of the dock and should be working so I need a replacement battery so I can use it anywhere portable - Although I pointed out twice in subsequent emails the listing stated the battery was not guaranteed, and offered a Refund minus the cost to ship it back, the Buyer completely ignores the mention of the description of the battery in the replies and now they practically demanded either a partial refund (for the first time) or send them a prepaid label to return the BOSE.....  Comments on this situation please would be appreciated.... Thank You!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1) People not reading is not new (it's expected), and you're on the hook regardless.
2) Resistance is futile...ebay will not have your back.
3) Take it back and good luck going forward.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you buyer has not yet filed a "return request" on ebay, simply wait until he does.  When the request is filed, send a return lable, not until.  

Buyers are not required to read or understand your description.   If you have a return policy at all you have to accept the return when the request is made.  If the buyer lies to get free shipping (paid by you) back, it is too bad to be you.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You chose the "Used" condition on that listing.  Which by eBay definition means the item is fully functional. 

Your statement at the very end (the entire listing is in 24 point font, thus the very last paragraph on a long page of text does not stand out as you seem to think it should) contradicts your choice of item condition.  This is a violation of eBay policy.  You should not include contradictory information in your listings.

Take the return.  Give a full refund.  Pay the return shipping. 

Read the condition definitions and be more careful in your choice of item condition in the future.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

1) People not reading is not new (it's expected), and you're on the hook regardless.
2) Resistance is futile...ebay will not have your back.
3) Take it back and good luck going forward.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi, i looked at the listing. Unfortunately the description has contradictory information about the battery. You wrote this:

”...Rechargeable lithium-ion battery offers hours of playing time between charges. You’ll get about eight hours of playback at normal volume.

You can recharge the battery with any wall outlet or use an optional spare battery for a little extra time (the unit batteries are easily user-swappable)...”

Then at the very bottom, there is the info that says this:

“...The SoundDock works, however the age and charging capacity of the removable battery pack is unknown and therefore cannot be guaranteed to hold a charge...”

Because of this, i would honor the buyer’s request and refund. It is a problem to list something untested and unknown and then tout its functionality as a selling point. All flaws should be disclosed in the Condition field Seller Notes at the top of the listing. That is its purpose, to put the most important flaws/problems an item has right upfront and center. The batteries are not mentioned in it altho other flaws are included.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Be sure to block this idiot after they have forced you to pay return shipping for their idiocy.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@sidemidt

Just like your buyer should read listing descriptions, you, too, should read up on listing specifications. 

Here is a link to eBay's description of "Condition:"

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

And here's the salient information:

Used

An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, items that are locked or can't be activated, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Being a seller of this particular item perhaps your buyer should be held to a higher standard?

Should this seller/ buyer have known of the importance in reading an item description, &  asking any questions before making a purchase?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Being a seller of this particular item perhaps your buyer should be held to a higher standard?

Should this seller/ buyer have known of the importance in reading an item description, &  asking any questions before making a purchase?

Perhaps the buyer thought the seller was aware of eBay's definitions of the condition of items being listed, saw that the item was considered "used," and felt confident that the OP had listed it correctly; i.e., that the item was fully functioning, as stated in eBay's "used" definition. Maybe the buyer knows the definitions, since s/he also sells, and assumed the OP did also. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

That's all irrelevant.  A buyer has every right to expect that an electronics item listed as 'Used' will be functioning properly because that is part of eBay's definition for the category.  If you aren't sure whether or not it works, you MUST list it as 'For Parts/Not Working.'

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Also irrelevant because the listing violated eBay policy.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Helpful? Sort of. However under both condition descriptions is the following: See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Which makes sense to me at least.

Thank you.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to answer this post & obvious confusion on my part in a helpful manner and to educate, rather than to berate, judge and scold.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@sidemidt wrote:
Helpful? Sort of. However under both condition descriptions is the following: See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Which makes sense to me at least.

Thank you.

It probably won't matter if he files a SNAD against you. You have a 14 day return policy, so they can return it, but because he feels that the item is not as described, you are playing with fire for a case against you that most likely won't be found in your favor.  I would pay the return shipping to avoid a defect and negative feedback.  Not offering the return shipping fee is not worth it. You should agree to pay for the return shipping and refund once it's received back before he files a SNAD. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you very much. Mean that too. 🙂 I have already accepted the return and sent the Buyer a Return Label.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply