cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Doesn't Pay 2021 - Does the Buyer Still Get "strikes'?

Lately, I've had a lot more buyers not paying for their auctions.  Instead of me opening an Unpaid Item Case for Non payment, I know I can now just go and cancel the order.  Here's my question:

If the wining bidder does not pay, by me cancelling the order - does this action give them a "strike" on their account ?

Maybe a seasoned moderator, or eBay employee can chime in .

Looking for a simple answer:  Yes or No  -  not 2 paragraphs of jibberish.

Thanks people

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

To get the “strike “ it still need to go through the UPI process.

you can set this so eBay automatically does it and at 4 days you get your fees back, item is relisted and buyer gets a strike.

Just canceling will not refund your fees or give a strike.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

If you cancel the transaction on day 5 for non payment, then yes the buyer gets a Strike. Many have reported that eBay has set the default for non payment to 5 days, but I have not personally confirmed this.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Maybe. Depends on what you do do. Yes or no?

-------
Not my selling nor buying account
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@9091gus wrote:

Looking for a simple answer:  Yes or No  -  not 2 paragraphs of jibberish.

Yes.

This was stated explicitly in the Spring Seller Update. 

"Each cancellation with a “Buyer hasn’t paid” reason will be recorded against that buyer. You can stop purchases from buyers with more than two unpaid item cancellations using your “Buyer management” preferences. Buyers with excessive cancellations for “Buyer hasn’t paid” reason may be suspended for abusive buying practices.”

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2021-spring/business.html#m17-1-tb2

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

There is no more UPI process.  One cancels the order after 5 days selecting non-payment as the reason.

As to the OP's question, I checked my Buyer Requirements Activity Log (which is a fancy way to say here's who we blocked from bidding) and it shows three times it prevented people from bidding on my items because they had too many unpaid item strikes.  So apparently people do get strikes still.  

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Find it hard to believe eBay would ever give a strike to a buyer they usually let buyers do whatever they want.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

So you see it's maybe, it all depends on what you do.

Give these kind folks a helpful for taking the time to answer without 2 paragraphs of (g)ibberish! Show your appreciation!

I will consider your private message to be my helpful. Thank you for taking the time! It's very kind.

-------
Not my selling nor buying account
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

There is no more UPI process.  One cancels the order after 5 days selecting non-payment as the reason.

As to the OP's question, I checked my Buyer Requirements Activity Log (which is a fancy way to say here's who we blocked from bidding) and it shows three times it prevented people from bidding on my items because they had too many unpaid item strikes.  So apparently people do get strikes still.  

On a related topic...

Do buyers know how many strikes they have?... and if so, does anyone know where to find this information? I looked everywhere and can't find where it would be.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@dentalrprtek2012 wrote:

Find it hard to believe eBay would ever give a strike to a buyer they usually let buyers do whatever they want.

I believe a seller can view a log of the buyers who were blocked by the seller's buyer requirements. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

That is not something sellers or buyers can see... 

But I checked my log of blocked buyers and it was quite a few and some who tried to buy multiple times... I think its too bad eBay does not let them know why they are not allowed to purchase. 

Maybe it would change behaviors???

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@9091gus 

1.  Sellers have to wait 4 days to the minute before Cancelling the transaction (new policy)

2.  Sellers can set the Unpaid item Cancellation up to happen automatically if they want

3. Buyers receive a strike on their account for Unpaid items if they are cancelled per the Policy (item 1 above)

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@9091gus 

>does this action give them a "strike" on their account 

eBay says they do, but do I believe everything eBay says? Not likely. No way to really tell as eBay doesn't list a buyers' strikes.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@bimm_corp wrote:

@9091gus 

>does this action give them a "strike" on their account 

No way to really tell as eBay doesn't list a buyers' strikes.

eBay makes a record available to a seller of any buyers who were blocked from buying your items because of their strikes. 

So while eBay does not show a buyer's strikes, eBay does show the result of those strikes. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@bimm_corp wrote:

eBay says they do, but do I believe everything eBay says? Not likely. No way to really tell as eBay doesn't list a buyers' strikes.

Please read Messages 6 and 11, above, where two separate posters confirm that a seller can indeed view a list of buyers who have been blocked because of strikes.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply