cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Circumvented Block - was still allowed to leave negative feedback?

Hi All,

A buyer who circumvented a block I had on their main account used a secondary account to purchase the cheapest item on my store very clearly with the intent to leave negative feedback. I talked with an ebay representative on the phone and they confirmed it was the same user (same address and last name on their account), and told me it would be okay to cancel the sale and that the buyer would not be able to leave a negative review.

However, the "buyer" ended up leaving a negative review and when I requested feedback removal, I was denied even though the buyer very clearly broke Ebay ToS by circumventing the block on their main account. In fact, even after providing more details to ebay I lost my appeal to have this feedback removed again, with them claiming the buyers experience is legitimate...

It is very wrong to me that ebay will just let any person looking for revenge to leave negative feedback even if they go out of their way to break ToS to do so. I am also bothered that they won't even consider the fact that a customer service rep advised me that it's okay to simply cancel the order, and that there is this previous solved community post stating it's okay to cancel an order with "issue with buyer's address" when you're certain they are circumventing a block.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting negative feedback in this situation removed? I am really shocked that ebay is siding with the "buyer" in my situation... would appreciate any advice if possible and especially if an ebay employee could explain my situation is different from the one linked above : /

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

@ebooksdiva  Yes, that was misinformation for CS to say the buyer wouldn't be able to leave feedback. That's why I noted that the CS advising me "pointed out that buyer could still leave negative feedback, but if that happened, eBay would remove it since I had reported the buyer for circumventing my BBL." 

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 31 of 119
latest reply

ebay does not support sellers.

Message 32 of 119
latest reply

eBay no longer removes feedback anymore. Even if its in a situation where eBay policy says it should be removed. They advise you to use seller help which no matter what gets denied and then when you call again they pretend to submit a request to have it removed on their end. Have called eBay dozens of times regarding feedback that 100% should and has in the past qualified for removal with no results.

Message 33 of 119
latest reply

@hkgcwobu 

I think this is a GREAT discussion.  In a nutshell the buyer was blocked from buying from you, so they then circumvent that block by using another account to purchase from you.  Now this gave them the opportunity to retaliate against you for blocking them and leave a negative FB on your account for having the gall to block them in the first place.

Ebay at this point is allowing the retaliatory fb to stand from a buyer that circumvented the block policy.  To me that doesn't make any sense because the buyer circumvented policy for the purpose of damaging the seller's account.  

Sometimes CS doesn't always get things right, so lets see if we can get more clarity on this important question / matter.

devon@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 119
latest reply

@thefossildepot wrote:

eBay no longer removes feedback anymore. Even if its in a situation where eBay policy says it should be removed. They advise you to use seller help which no matter what gets denied and then when you call again they pretend to submit a request to have it removed on their end. Have called eBay dozens of times regarding feedback that 100% should and has in the past qualified for removal with no results.

@thefossildepot 

I'm sorry you were unable to get the FB you experienced removed, but that does not mean that Ebay is "no longer" removing FB for cause.  I don't see where the 3 you have broke any rule of Ebay, but that doesn't mean it didn't as there may be some rules not coming to mind at this time.  So help us with that, What FB rule did they break?

Message 35 of 119
latest reply

I was just wondering what would happen if the seller used another id themselves to retaliate in kind, as they said their buyer also sells items. Where would it all end?

Wasn't that the whole point of certain feedback rules, to stop things like this from going completely out of control.

Message 36 of 119
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

I was just wondering what would happen if the seller used another id themselves to retaliate in kind, as they said their buyer also sells items. Where would it all end?

Wasn't that the whole point of certain feedback rules, to stop things like this from going completely out of control.

Retaliation is rarely a good idea.  It certainly solves nothing.  

Message 37 of 119
latest reply

That is frustration for sure. Did they say something about you cancelling their order in the negative feedback? 

Message 38 of 119
latest reply

Yes, if they can prove this was the same buyer who was blocked they should remove it. What would be the purpose of blocking a troublesome buyer in this situation. AND they caused even MORE trouble second time around for this seller. 

Message 39 of 119
latest reply

I know they want us all to reply to most of these negatives now, but what is the seller going to say in this one.

Message 40 of 119
latest reply

When I hear these things on here it makes me very nervous. I don’t know how you feel but dang if I got something like this seller did I would be worried about future transactions and feedbacks out of my complete control if one like this happens, or worse.

Message 41 of 119
latest reply

I see your point. In other words you are saying that if a seller cannot get a chance to get these removed they increase the risk of sellers doing the Same dang thing to retaliate against the buyer. That’s why, if the feedback warrants a removal as retaliatory acts it should be removed IMO.

Message 42 of 119
latest reply

I can only say what I would do in your situation.

I would keep trying until I got that feedback removed.

Good luck.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 43 of 119
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yes, if they can prove this was the same buyer who was blocked they should remove it. What would be the purpose of blocking a troublesome buyer in this situation. AND they caused even MORE trouble second time around for this seller. 

According to the OP, they proved that, yet the fb remains.

Message 44 of 119
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I know they want us all to reply to most of these negatives now, but what is the seller going to say in this one.

I missed that.  When and were did Ebay say that?

Message 45 of 119
latest reply