cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Accepts Offer not from me

How does eBay monitor Offers sent/accepted?  A couple of weeks ago a "Buyer" bought a dvd from me through an Offer that went through the eBay system. The problem was I NEVER sent the Offer. The "Buyer" sent  me a screenshot from their "iphone" that showed the offer. When I contacted eBay Customer Service, they said that they had found no intrusions on my account. Also, the rep said that eBay had "NO WAY TO TRACK ANY OFFERS SENT/ACCEPTED".  Seemed ODD since they maintain a page to do just that for potential "Buyers" to send Offers to. They also told me to just cancel the order and block the "Buyer". I did all that and asked for a Supervisor to call me, NEVER HAPPENED!!  Also, went through the process of setting up NEW password and 2-step confirmation. Today have received 3 "Buyers" that have purchased through eBay via huge discounted items from "Offers" that I NEVER sent.  Since eBay appears not to want to help THIS SELLER finding out why this is happening, I appeal to the eBay community for HELP.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Buyer Accepts Offer not from me

So, if you were willing to send that same offer in the past then why would you not be upset at getting that price now?

Just wondering?

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I have to second that.  I have actually set my items that have offers to send offers automatically.  Now, that offer is higher than my lowest accepting offer.  And I set the lowest accepting and the auto refuse to the same amount.  I don't want to have to go back and forth.  Let them set their price, if its high enough, they get their item!   If they get an offer automatically, they even have the option to counter, which then follows the normal offer rules that are already set.

They get to haggle with the computer.  And I don't have to stress about it.  😄

Then there are those that can't seem to understand that adding multiple items to cart from the same listing will give you discounts and they buy them individually.  Even when I have it clearly described in the smaller condition box.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

There could be cost increases in the items for sale or limited product availability (supply demand) issues.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Found that eBay makes adjustments to Selling price in Offers, but does not change the Offer Price nor the Offer Percentage previously sent nor whether Shipping cost was changed.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

No.  But all future offers will have the change.  See image below.  I had actually updated this a few days ago, the update offer is actually a bit higher. Before it was the same as the lowest accepting price.  It will not retroactively send any out, but any new offers for new watchers/etc will get the updated suggestion.  I set it a bit higher and left the option to counter enabled.  They can still try to go lower, but will get auto denied if they go lower than my lowest price.  Or they will get auto-accepted at this price or any other price.  Not only that, they can then get a discount for quantity on that price too.

gator08041971_0-1707892847641.png

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

I find its a lot easier to maximize your profit if you can sell in bulk.   Even with a hefty discount, its more money per item better to sell multiples of the item, mostly because you still only have to ship one package.  And the shipping generally doesn't go up a whole lot on many items, unless you are selling big bulky heavy stuff.

I have one listing with a 50% discount on 4 or more items.  I have that listing priced to get rid of them.  I have this large box of the things and just want them gone.  But at 50%, they can buy 4 for the price of 2.  And I still make a couple bucks.

The more often you can group like items together into one listing where buyers can add to cart and buy them together AND get a discount on multiple items, the more you actually will get to keep.

Look at it this way:

I sell an item for 15 bucks.

Shipping costs me 5 bucks.

ebay takes $2.02 (no tax in this math)

I get about 8 bucks.

Lets say I sell 4 of those together.

60 bucks.  Ebay gets $8.10

Shipping costs me 8 bucks now.

That leaves me $43.90 /4.  Nearly 11 dollars an item.  Compared to 8.

Lets say I give them up to 10% off?  I still make about $9.50 each.

At 20% off, I would be about the same return as selling one item.  So depending on what you are selling, what you are selling it at, etc, will determine how much discount you want to provide.

But still, multiple quantity sales will increase your gains, mostly because the shipping doesn't change nearly as much for a lot of items.  Won't work for everything, but it can help.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply