cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk edit glitch resulting in transaction defects

For the past 18 years, I've proudly maintained a top-rated plus selling status, consistently upholding impeccable metrics. However, as my store expanded to nearly 10,000 listings, I began utilizing the bulk listing editor to streamline operations. Unfortunately, this decision has led to numerous headaches and glitches, although typically manageable.

Recently, I encountered a significant issue when I sorted my listings from oldest to newest and opted to reduce the price of 2,000 items by $1 each. Surprisingly, while 1,000 listings saw the intended price reduction, the remaining half were inexplicably changed to 99 cents. This discrepancy resulted in a frenzy of purchases, with buyers snapping up 20 to 40 items per order before I could rectify the situation.

Upon realizing the error, I promptly corrected the prices and reported the glitch to eBay. Regrettably, despite assurances from a representative, no action was taken to address the issue. Consequently, I incurred substantial losses totaling close to $1,000, compounded by the necessity of canceling four orders due to stock shortages.

Subsequent attempts to resolve the matter with eBay's support team proved frustrating. While supervisors acknowledged the glitch, efforts to escalate the issue to the defects department yielded no meaningful results. Despite assurances that someone would address the defects, I received only generic responses offering tips on handling negative feedback.

This lack of resolution is deeply concerning, especially considering the consensus among supervisors regarding the validity of my concerns. However, the inability to directly contact the defects department leaves me feeling powerless in seeking a resolution.

Have any fellow sellers experienced similar challenges in having defects removed, or am I simply at the mercy of another eBay glitch, compounding my losses? Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The out of stock cancellation is the single worst thing you can do in ebay's eyes.  It is this whole separate category of defect where only a few of them can put you below standard or shut your entire account down.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The 4 out of stock cancellations shouldn't affect your account given your volume of sales. As for the issues with the bulk editor, I refuse to use it unless I really need to, as its always screwed up my listings in the past.

Likewise, there's no defects associated with using the bulk editor, I'm not sure how you would've acquired anymore defects than the out of stocks or say late shipments, etc.

Did you fulfill all those orders with the changed prices, or did you cancel them?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have used the bulk editor to edit hundreds and thousands of listings at a time many hundreds of times. It has never once made a "mistake" that wasn't actually my mistake.  Not what you wanted to hear, but it is my true experience.  

It is more likely that you ran your first thousand at lower by $1.00 minimum .99 and accidentally ran your second thousand at "lower by 100, minimum .99" isn't it? Decimal place makes all the difference in the world.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

They were cancelled. A total of 92 items were cancelled for out of stock. They were not out of stock, just the wrong price from the edit mishap. According to my dashboard this will move me below standard 2.06% defect from 0%.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was one edit of 2000. There is a maximum of 2k edits at one time. Trust me I know I have made mistakes before, but I highly doubt it here as that is 2 separate menu options, and one mass edit. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@premium-comics wrote:

They were cancelled. A total of 92 items were cancelled for out of stock. They were not out of stock, just the wrong price from the edit mishap. According to my dashboard this will move me below standard 2.06% defect from 0%.

Ouch... Thats going to be tough climb out of. Sorry you encountered that.

I use bulk editor religiously never had the experience you had.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The out of stock cancellation is the single worst thing you can do in ebay's eyes.  It is this whole separate category of defect where only a few of them can put you below standard or shut your entire account down.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply