cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bubble Bath = Wine?

I woke up this morning to a notice from eBay that one of my listings last night was unilaterally ended by the bots. It was for a brand new Avon Cape Cod Collection Wine Decanter Full of Bubble Bath concentrate. Bubble Bath was right there in the title!

The email contained a lengthy explanation of how it's against eBay "policy" to sell wine or alcohol of any kind without legal approval to do so. Blah, Blah, Blah...

Here's the first paragraph of many in the email from eBay:

Hello duffy4444,

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Alcohol policy. Wine can be listed on the eBay US site (eBay.com) by eBay approved sellers only. No other alcohol products are allowed...

This is the stupidity of allowing AI bots to do the "thinking" of humans. All it saw was the word "wine" in the title, and my listing was toast. I guess other listings for other items with wine in the title as a color of cloth, for example, would also get ended. How about the color burgundy, or champagne?  What about glassware? Are Beer Steins next? This is getting out of hand, and is proof positive that this country's obsession with AI is far from a good thing, and probably will always be.

I made a new identical listing with "Bubble Bath Decanter" in the title instead, and so far it is remaining. I could have made a lengthy stink with Ebay For Business on FaceBook, but my time is better spent just going around the stupid bots.

SMH...

Cheers, Duffy

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Bubble Bath = Wine?

It is dumb, but with over 1.5 billion listings, theres no other way but  AI's to check all those listings for infractions.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

I see the word "wine" on the box. You may or may not get lucky with that listing again. I would take the box away from the photo just to be safe. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

You must also think of the buyer that might drink it with dinner.

I would think about relisting it.  You could get suspended if they keep removing it.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I see the word "wine" on the box. You may or may not get lucky with that listing again. I would take the box away from the photo just to be safe. 

@12345jamesstamps:

Good idea... Thanks!

I blotted out the word "wine" on the box and revised it. The box is important enough to Avon Collectors, that I wanted to keep the box in the photo, and noted what I did in the details.

- Duffy

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

"Pssst.  Hey mister, if I give you some money, will you go in and buy me some bubble bath?"   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

Just resist and remove the word "wine"

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

It might get shut down again especially if you hit relist button.  If you rewrite the entire ad with new photos, you might getaway with it and do not write wine in the title, just decanter.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

"Pssst.  Hey mister, if I give you some money, will you go in and buy me some bubble bath?"   

LOL!!!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

Well woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand
Whose wine, what wine, where the hell did I dine?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

That works too.

As a past master sommelier the wine industry ...we would probably throw the box out.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

I've sold a lot of Avon Cape Cod glass, and the buyers know what they want - you don't need 'wine' decanter in there, just decanter. And I sure wouldn't worry about the box.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

I suspect what got you in this case was the combination of the words "Wine Decanter Full." That makes it sound to the bots like the listing is for... well, a full wine decanter.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

It might get shut down again especially if you hit relist button.  If you rewrite the entire ad with new photos, you might getaway with it and do not write wine in the title, just decanter.

@ms.rodriguez*:

Once an item gets shut down by eBay for a supposed "policy violation", simply relisting it is blocked. A totally new item number unrelated to the one that was shut down is what is needed. So I did a sell similar with another Avon Cape Cod listing and modified it, dropping the word "wine" and blotting out "wine" on the box top. That should more than remedy the issue and keep it totally away from the attention of the AI bots.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Bubble Bath = Wine?

@duffy4444 

Love your new avatar!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 22
latest reply