cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Xbox auction bidding is approaching the price of a new Xbox

I have an Xbox Series X on auction it clearly states it will not turn on and is being sold for parts.  However, bidding is approaching the price of buying one brand new. The Xbox Series X hard to get this holiday season however, they are available at stores.  Should I be concerned that this is some kind of scam?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Should I be concerned that this is some kind of scam?

@mill0651 

It is quite unusual.  Be alert for post auction communications asking that you "text" them or "email" them.  Often, scammers will outbid each other simply for the opportunity to perpetrate the usual scam.  Could be you have some potential buyers that didn't read the description and realize it is not functioning. 

Since all buyer IDs have 100% positive feedback scores and we are no longer allowed to see what they are buying or bidding on, you just won't know until the auction ends. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@mill0651   To me, the 'About this product' section is misleading since none of it applies to something that doesn't work, so it should not be there. That section leaves you vulnerable to an 'item not as described' case.

Also, your text in the description area is so small as to think it is almost trying to hide.

The first and last words I would have used in the title would have been in caps 'BROKEN' so even the best scammer would be hard pressed to say they 'didn't know' they were buying an inoperative device.

I would end the listing and re do it

All this just my opinion and how I would have listed it LOL

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

At this stage, there is no indication of a scam, because the only way to determine that will happen after the auction. No, i think two things are possible here.

1) One is that folks are thinking they can get it repaired or genuinely want the parts. Or 2), they didn't read the listing and are going by the pictures and price alone. But either way, it is impossible to know anything at this time.

I would likely send a note to the highest bidders reiterating that the unit does not work.

I no longer sell non-functioning or flawed goods on eBay. Too risky.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

To me, the 'About this product' section is misleading since none of it applies to something that doesn't work

@stuff4divas 

Is that part not added by eBay as a consequence of adding the MPN number in the item specifics? Is the MPN number REQUIRED? 
 To the OPs credit, the title, condition, and description at the end of the listing all state that the item does not work. 

That, of course, does not help if the subsequent buyer actually pays and subsequently files a SNAD for "it doesn't work".  At that point the automation begins, and the seller will have to fund a return or let the buyer keep it for free.  That could happen on a new unopened sealed product as well. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

might even send the winning bidder an e-mail and confirm they understand the unit is for parts only. Send a copy of the e-mail to yourself. What for their reply before shipping.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Suggesting a "possible" easy fix in the listing can also encourage bidding. I would leave that out.

As stuff4 suggested............  I would start the title with BROKEN. Leave out the black (can see that its black) ,the  dashes, and there will be room to add that.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

too late to edit my post:

Your top bidder bids on other similar (same category) items.  2nd  not so much, and 3rd bids some, so not all beginners.

Looks like you have one that possibly put a bid in to find out the hidden bid amount of others, and then retracted.  (bid $2010.00 to make it look like an error)

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Any issue creates a greater probability of a Item Not as Described return.

a) Broken

b) Needs repair

c) Missing Parts

d) Accessories not included

Pointing out those flaws in the title, condition, description and pictures doesn't change the outcome. Buyers don't read and then file a return case.

Should I be concerned that this is some kind of scam?

Yes. Your return policy states: Seller does not accept returns

The scam the buyer is going to use is dependent on you not knowing the eBay policies and making the wrong decisions.

They will file for a return.

You will decline the return.

The case will fester for a couple of days.

The buyer will escalate the case.

eBay will refund them the money.

The buyer will not be required to send a package back to you.

Don't communicate outside of the eBay Message Center with texting, emailing or phone calls.

You should have either:

1) Sold this to the local video game store as broken for the fraction of the original price it is worth as broken.

2) Paid for the repairs to get the unit operational

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@ittybitnot  No, it is optional to put that section onto the listing, at least it was for me when I placed my MPN numbers onto my listings.

And yes, I agree the OP put plenty of 'not working' words, but we all know how that goes. Plus their font in the description area is so tiny, one could almost claim they couldn't read it.

I just think that caps in front and back of title 'BROKEN' leaves no way for a scammer to claim they didn't know.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I just think that caps in front and back of title 'BROKEN' leaves no way for a scammer to claim they didn't know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That surely should help to start, but as we all know, that will not stop eBay from approving a NAD return for the buyer that knows how to work the system 😞

Message 11 of 11
latest reply