cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books We all know they have ads... Do you ship media mail anyway?

Lol, I've seen  sellers acknowledge this rule thru the decades,  but always manage to justify that their "particular books" are exempt from this rule.  As said, some ruin it for many.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

What type of "ads"?

Most books have ads from the publishers for other books, but that's it.

Magazines are a whole different thing and it's not even the presence of 'ads', it's the fact they were mailed as a periodical in most cases that disqualifies them from MM.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Yea, they have ads for the authors other books, for affiliate authors books, for any movies that may have been produced from the books, .... other books you might like if you like this one...

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

There's this "incidental" 

http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121.htmMedia Mail Service

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books

but the inside covers contain way beyond anything "incidental" to that particular author or book.  I haven't found one in several decades that only mentions the author or related and not... the entire line that particular publishing house is wanting to push.... pages and pages of it.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Not asking to be pickey.  I'm getting ready to list some books and cookbooks again.  Got a nasty surprise 2 years ago.  Vtg Betty Crocker cookbook could not ship media mail because it was in hardboard/3 ring binder... Paid 18.75 to ship a book because they turned down media mail because of the "format" of the book.

There's so much... I have 150 craft instruction manuals with patterns.... can't ship media because they contain advertising.  Same with many other craft manuals and many vtg cookbooks that are brand oriented in their recipies and funded sponsors.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Sometimes you're better off listing as lots that can fit in a FR PM box.

And yes, some cookbooks are basically just one big ad lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

I have always shipped yearbooks as media mail. Now I see that's a no-no.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

Not asking to be pickey.  I'm getting ready to list some books and cookbooks again.  Got a nasty surprise 2 years ago.  Vtg Betty Crocker cookbook could not ship media mail because it was in hardboard/3 ring binder... Paid 18.75 to ship a book because they turned down media mail because of the "format" of the book.

There's so much... I have 150 craft instruction manuals with patterns.... can't ship media because they contain advertising.  Same with many other craft manuals and many vtg cookbooks that are brand oriented in their recipies and funded sponsors.

As was said, cookbooks are now a no-no for Media as most are ads or are promoting a product.  I have almost a thousand cookbooks or pamphlets, that does not make me happy but most pamphlets are under a pound anyway so FC is faster.  Most cookbooks are part of a brand like Rachael Ray or promoting a restaurant so I can see it.

It's the sellers that are shipping their food processor media mail (that I watched a clerk catch red handed) that cause these problems for the rest of us.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Love this topic, Stone. Just had a dilemma of a 1928 catalog. Buyer from CA begged for shippng mercy.  17.00+ parcel select/priority - 4.00 media mail. What would you do? sunglasses

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Do you really believe that a postal employee is going to check for ads in a book??   I send any book media mail period.  Magazines go first class or priority.  

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@poppyswag wrote:
 ... a dilemma of a 1928 catalog. Buyer from CA begged for shippng mercy.  17.00+ parcel select/priority - 4.00 media mail. What would you do? sunglasses

I'd seee whether I could fit it into a Regional A box (cost $6.52 -  $10.28).  

You have it listed with Parcel Select Ground, which doesn't make sense to me since it would cost you less for Priority Mail.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Just listed a Sears catalog brick from the 80s and it fits nicely in a padded FR envelope.

(*Bleep*)
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

The listing for poppy's catalog says, "Measures 13.25" to 9.25". 600 pages." So it's too big for a FRE.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@poppyswag wrote:

Love this topic, Stone. Just had a dilemma of a 1928 catalog. Buyer from CA begged for shippng mercy.  17.00+ parcel select/priority - 4.00 media mail. What would you do? sunglasses

As long as it is on eBay, I would compromise and give FedEx SmartPost as an option.  That would probably cut the shipping cost down significantly and ultimately it would be treated as Parcel Select,  The tradeoff would be a day or two extra transit time (depending on whether you take it to a FedEx location or drop it off at the post office.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

The whole setup is crazy. Media should = paper products, newspapers, magazines, books, all of them. Just look up the definition. There is no division if media contains ads.  But...USPS is not my circus so I follow the rules. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply