cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking a potential buyer before they ever buy anything

I've been selling on here for over 20 years, and I've developed a 6th sense for being able to detect a trouble buyer just based on messages they send to me asking questions about what I'm selling.  I won't point to anything specific, but often I just know.   You can just tell buy what they're asking and how they're asking it that they're going to be trouble.  And more often than not, I end up being right.

I've gotten to the point of being tempted to just plain block these people before they ever make a purchase.  Is this an appropriate action, or does it have any potential downfalls (other than possibly losing a legitimate sale) ?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Blocking a potential buyer before they ever buy anything

The worst that can happen is that you don't make a sale.

And asking "too many" questions isn't a gut feeling, it's a clue based on long experience.

One of the few that most experienced sellers will agree with.

I also Block members whose ID is vulgar in any of the languages I know.

Oh-- when you Block also block communication.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@bgt_masters_of_tiki_d wrote:

I do this as well. However it doesn't always work. I've blocked a troublesome buyer on two occasions and they just keep purchasing on other ids. The buyer abused returns 2-3 times to earn the block in the first place, one of those times sending back something altogether if I recall correctly.  

You should have reported them! That's a violation of policy and enough of those violations on their account(s) and they get suspended. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/buying-practices-policy?id=4374

Pertinent part: 

Acceptable buying practices include adherence to the following policies.

• Unwelcome and malicious buying: We consider bidding on or buying an item when you have no intention of completing the transaction, or circumventing a seller's buyer requirements, to be unwelcome and malicious buying.
  • Using multiple accounts: Registering new accounts or using other existing accounts to avoid buying restrictions or limits or other policy consequences is not allowed. See our Multiple accounts policy for more information.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Thank you.  I was wondering how to identify a "hardo".

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I called and talked with a rep about it. Nothing came of it. 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply