cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to exit eBay

I'm just tired of trying to sell on eBay and want to quit.   The problem is I have a lot of money tied up in inventory.  How foolish do you think it would be to just list everything at auction for 99 cents and just take what I can get?  Or do you think just keep using the 50 listings a month and drag it on forever in the hopes things eventually sell?  I don't know.  Just don't want to bother anymore.  Could I right off a loss on taxes?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Best way to exit eBay

@kathieskorner wrote:

Considering what you are selling and the price points I wouldn't go the 99 cent route.  You've already done most of the work by creating the listings.   I'd list 50 items per month - reducing the price 5-10% each time until most of the items sold.  Use a 3-4 day handling time so you don't have to rush to the post office when you make a sale.    For the jewelry you can sell 2 or more items in lots at auction, but I wouldn't start them at 99 cents.  

If you have a good consignment store nearby - that is also an option.   Before listing anything at 99 cents on ebay, I'd donate it to a worthwhile charity thrift store.

Thank you, I found that advice very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to answer and offer great suggestions. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

how much inventory are you talking?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Having just looked at your listings, I think you'd take a heck of a loss if you just put them all up for .99 and hoped for the best.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Considering what you are selling and the price points I wouldn't go the 99 cent route.  You've already done most of the work by creating the listings.   I'd list 50 items per month - reducing the price 5-10% each time until most of the items sold.  Use a 3-4 day handling time so you don't have to rush to the post office when you make a sale.    For the jewelry you can sell 2 or more items in lots at auction, but I wouldn't start them at 99 cents.  

If you have a good consignment store nearby - that is also an option.   Before listing anything at 99 cents on ebay, I'd donate it to a worthwhile charity thrift store.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@km181177 wrote:

I'm just tired of trying to sell on eBay and want to quit.   The problem is I have a lot of money tied up in inventory.  How foolish do you think it would be to just list everything at auction for 99 cents and just take what I can get?  Or do you think just keep using the 50 listings a month and drag it on forever in the hopes things eventually sell?  I don't know.  Just don't want to bother anymore.  Could I right off a loss on taxes?

You are the best person to decide how to liquidate your inventory and close your business. Your tax obligations should be addressed by a profession rather than a member posting on a discussion board. 

Here is a link to a page you'll find most valuable as you move toward closing your business:

Closing your account

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You might put all of one kind of item in a lot (say all of your dishes, all of your mens clothes, all of your electronics) then list the different lots starting at a reasonable $100 or so.  One person may want the dishes, another the mens clothes, another the electronics for resale or use.  Just note AS IS, WHOLE LOT - NO CHERRY PICKING.  (You would be shocked at how many buyers I have had who bought lots only to want to pick out one or two then send everything else back for a refund - uh NO.) Take photoes of what is in the lot, list what is in the lot wiht a general description (5 shirts - 3 ralph lauren, 2 holister, etc.)

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

Thank you, I found that advice very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to answer and offer great suggestions. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I downsized my ebay listings a few years ago due to family obligations and then have started up again....when I liquidated my inventory I did several things. First, I listed things at auction at the rock bottom starting price I would take (but not 99 cents). Some went higher, but most did not, but I sold quite a few. But then I also took my items and grouped them in lots, as suggested above. This worked quite well for me. I also listed groups of items on craigslist and local garage sale facebook groups. That is actually how I sold a lot of my stuff. For example, I listed two very large boxes of stampin up stamp sets on craigslist for a reasonable price (But with a little bargaining room), expecting someone local. I ended up mailing the boxes to someone in a very rural area who was delighted to get such a deal. I would not have listed them that way on ebay because of the shipping costs, which she paid without any question. Dealing with local people has its own challenges, but I deal with very low scam items, so no real problems have ever arisen except people not showing up when they say they will. And you can go a little bit lower since CL and FB have no fees.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I have a similar CL story. I got several boxes of Korean romance novels from a commission and they went nowhere on ebay. I created two lots of them  and listed on one CL for a decent amount and it was snapped up. Listed the other, same situation. Basically some Korean folks came from quite a distance away, thrilled to get the books. Everyone was happy. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

The Best Way To Exit ebay is on Horseback and preferably in The Buff...show some pinache. 🙂

Yes folks it's true!

It's Ebay....so they CAN and DO make this stuff up!
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@km181177 wrote:

You are the best person to decide how to liquidate your inventory and close your business. Your tax obligations should be addressed by a profession rather than a member posting on a discussion board. 

Here is a link to a page you'll find most valuable as you move toward closing your business:

Closing your account

That would be a bad idea for the OP. They don't have to close their account to stop selling.

They would no longer be able to buy either if they did that.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

The Best Way To Exit ebay is on Horseback and preferably in The Buff...show some pinache. lightwing -studios - unquote  ---------------

I will be offering some Lady Godiva  memory lockets on my site  this summer when the weather gets warmer , if you're interested  🙂   tulips

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I wasn't serious  but now that I think of it  humm 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Find a local auction house. You would be surprised how much you can clear there. We do that once a week with things we dont sell on ebay. Mostlt bulkier items to expensive to ship. Dont have to ship they take home and all we brought is gone..

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Just a suggestion. But most of this stuff can be sited on PoshMark. I sell there now with a few listings here. Works for me. Good luck

@km181177 wrote:

RRR
Message 15 of 19
latest reply