cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best offer-buyers message now binding terms?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Why does ebay keep trying to fix things that were not broken.

In the past, the shipping charge was the shipping charge on a best offer.  It remained the same as per the original listing.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I went to make an offer and there was a note under the message to seller space. "Any additional terms in the buyers message are legally binding." Really? So I can offer and say free shipping and the seller has to?

This just does not feel right. Anyone on selling had this enforced?
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:
I went to make an offer and there was a note under the message to seller space. "Any additional terms in the buyers message are legally binding." Really? So I can offer and say free shipping and the seller has to?

The seller only "has to" if they accept your offer, if a seller doesn't like the additional terms they can simply decline or counter.

The only sellers that have a problem with this are the ones that don't read the additional terms.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I know the seller first has to accept. But I still find this change upsetting. What if it gets missed? And accepted and then I have to argue with the seller over shipping?
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

In the past, the shipping charge was the shipping charge on a best offer.  It remained the same as per the original listing.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:
I know the seller first has to accept. But I still find this change upsetting. What if it gets missed? And accepted and then I have to argue with the seller over shipping?

Actually a Blue has cautioned sellers to read any message the buyer has attached to a Best Offer, as if they accept the Best Offer, they are also accepting the terms the buyer set forth.  

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

You're right, and they even had a blurb on Best Offer that explained Best Offers did not include shipping.  IMO, I think many buyers paid no attention to that, and would write free shipping on their offer, and they were highly upset when they found out that shipping was not negotiable~so Ebay changed it.  

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:

eBay can’t really enforce it. I think the statement is actually ridiculous and should be removed. Just think of all the outrageous things you could write in the terms of your offer.. you could ask for a million bucks or the seller’s wife. 

caped*crusader*by*night
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@seller*by*day wrote:

eBay can’t really enforce it. I think the statement is actually ridiculous and should be removed. Just think of all the outrageous things you could write in the terms of your offer.. you could ask for a million bucks or the seller’s wife. 

That's so outrageous I'm tempted to try it... maybe I can get a wife out of the deal. laughing

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:

I think that one has been posted here in the past.

It has been brought to the attention of the blues that the statement present is contrary to the statement about shipping not being negoitable when shipping is stated.

The problem is...... there does not seem to be anyone at eBay that can understand that to 2 policies are in conflict.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@seller*by*day wrote:

@annasunicorns wrote:

I agree. To make a legal and binding deal there must 1st be "a meeting of the minds".

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@seller*by*day wrote:

@annasunicorns wrote:

Well, I don't have a million bucks, but the "or" may not be a bad idea.  They would be getting the short end of that sticklaughing

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

The problem is...... there does not seem to be anyone at eBay that can understand that to 2 policies are in conflict.

They understand...they just don't give a rats...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

They understand...they just don't give a rats...

Yup, but they should as the 2 policies create problems.  They keep saying they want things to go smooooooooooth without eBay having to step in, but eBay sometimes creates the problems.

Two (probably 10) different departments writing policy that is very clear as it stands alone, but does not work when applied to the same transaction.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Be careful what you ask for.. I have one and they come with a set of problems much bigger than free shipping 🙂
Message 15 of 36
latest reply