cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Besides Ebay

Hello, I'm a seller and wanting to know if there is another website besides ebay that I can sell my preowned clothing.  I know ebay is considered the number one place to sell used clothing however, the policies and rules for sellers seem to almost always go in the buyers favor and I can't afford to lose profit because of loopholes.  I have been doing pretty good on ebay but lately have run into issues with buyers who change their mind and use any excuse to get a refund....is there a better place to sell used clothing online? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Besides Ebay

First, include all measurements in the listing. Sizing isn't consistent even with the same manufacturers. No one should need to ask for them. In fact, some won't even bother with asking and just move on.

Second, look at your descriptions. They are short. "women's short black and white cardigan size small in good condition, by Champion." "Girls toddler 2T Gap sweater gently used and good condition." Try to get more descriptive.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Used or vintage?

Vintage has a place on The Doll and The Moon. High end vintage on The Red Road.

Used? Maybe The Ranch.

I've listed on all of those. And I choose the word 'listed' rather than 'sold' carefully. Total sales are around 1-2% of what I get on eBay.

If you are having many problems with returns, then perhaps you are doing something that is attracting problems.

Not blaming the victim, really, but are there consistent patterns to the returns like sizing* questions or condition ?

Remember that you are allowed to demand return before refund and that a USPS Return Shipping Label that is not used is not charged for.

And you may find Cookie Jar Insurance (adding a small amount to every asking price as a self-insurance premium to cover the costs of occasional problems including return shipping, damage in transit, buyer remorse, or claims of late or no delivery)  is part of the answer.

Yes that means raising your prices.

In my experience, and I see it echoed by other sellers, I get more questions and problems on low priced items than on high value ones.

* a Kardashian dress with no hip measurement? Have you seen those girls?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm a fairly new seller and so far have sold almost 200 items, I've had three different issues, one buyer wanted a refund for a game that I listied as defective, he didn't want to send it back and since he didn't, it went to my favor, the other had to do with sizing, I measured the jacket exactly how the buyer requested and she still unfortunately wasn't happy that she couldn't fit into it, I didn't want any issues because I keep hearing alot about ebay almost always going in the favor of the buyer, and I definitely didn't want a bad review so I just told her I would issue her a refund, and I didn't get my item back.  This recent issue shocked me, I sold a brand new dress and keep ALL my items locked away in totes, we don't have pets or smoke, and the buyer wants a refund because she's claiming the dress has a bad odor, now I have sold almost 200 items and this was a first,  I am aware that I will have these types of things come up, but I want to make sure I'm fully covered as well as the customers are....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

There are a ton of clothing sites out there for resellers. Can't name names here as it's against board policy. You can do a google search.

That said, all of the other clothing sites I've used have much higher fees and are typically only worth it when you have higher-end items. Looks like a lot of your clothing listings are $10-$30 so you will probably have the most luck on eBay.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

There are a ton of clothing sites out there for resellers. Can't name names here as it's against board policy. You can do a google search.

That said, all of the other clothing sites I've used have much higher fees and are typically only worth it when you have higher-end items. Looks like a lot of your clothing listings are $10-$30 so you will probably have the most luck on eBay.

One of my friends tried the phone-only app that starts with P and ends with K and said pretty much the same thing you're saying-- it's great if you're selling high-end stuff, but if you're just trying to clear out your closet, it's not worth it due to the fees.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

First, include all measurements in the listing. Sizing isn't consistent even with the same manufacturers. No one should need to ask for them. In fact, some won't even bother with asking and just move on.

Second, look at your descriptions. They are short. "women's short black and white cardigan size small in good condition, by Champion." "Girls toddler 2T Gap sweater gently used and good condition." Try to get more descriptive.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the response,  I will do a bit more research on google.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

femmefan1946 wrote:

* a Kardashian dress with no hip measurement? Have you seen those girls?

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ was funny!!!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Ok thank you for the helpful tips.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@happysplace1010 wrote:

Hello, I'm a seller and wanting to know if there is another website besides ebay that I can sell my preowned clothing.  I know ebay is considered the number one place to sell used clothing however, the policies and rules for sellers seem to almost always go in the buyers favor and I can't afford to lose profit because of loopholes.  I have been doing pretty good on ebay but lately have run into issues with buyers who change their mind and use any excuse to get a refund....is there a better place to sell used clothing online? 

Why would you think that you're not going to get scammed on another site? Scammers exist everywhere and if they are going to scam you, it will happen. None of the site mention are seller-centric. You can use other types of payments, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Plus, there are virtual little sales on other sites.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

and she still unfortunately wasn't happy that she couldn't fit into it, I didn't want any issues...  and I definitely didn't want a bad review so ... I didn't get my item back.  

You have the right to demand/request the return of the item.

Even if you pay for the return.

And if the customer is fishing, she won't use the Return Shipping Label, will lose the Dispute and you keep the money.

...I sold a brand new dress and keep ALL my items locked away in totes, we don't have pets or smoke, ...she's claiming the dress has a bad odor,

Again this is a case for "I'm sorry you are not happy with your dress. Please return it, with tags attached, for a full and prompt refund. I have enclosed a Return Shipping Label to make this easy."

No excuses, no blame game, and again, if she doesn't use the label, you don't pay out anything.

You have to take control. It's not easy for women. We're not trained that way. But we can do it and still be ladies.

Well, not me. I'm too old for that shinola.

With two problems out of 200, you are actually doing better than WalMart who have a 1.28% shoptheft rate.

Put the cost of your losses into your pricing. Shoptheft costs everyone money, including the consumer.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Unfortunately they all charge in the long run..i used to sell on another site but really ebays just as good..other then getting suspended on here i had no problem with the other..thinking about it maybe i will go back
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

There are numerous other sites that offer services as online selling platforms.  Unfortunately, it isn't quite ethical to tout them here.  That would be akin to me attending another auction house's event and passing out my business card to potential clients.  That's considered very bad form around here.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Three problems out of 200 really is not bad at all.

Clothes are time consuming to sell and competition has gotten stiff.

I, personally have cut back on selling clothing.

I Still have a lot of garmets, I came into a great deal on a lot of things, but not enough hours in my life for all that ironing and measuring.

I have found that instead of general conditions, I will instead say, all buttons and fasteners in good working order, no wear at hems or knees. (Or slight wear) 

Or, there is some pilling, or a repair has been made in the seam.

Then show that in the photos, a flaw with a penny.

I found out I liked that as a buyer.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck selling!!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply