cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being singled out~Auctions removed

I recently listed several salt & pepper shakers. The description was the same for all, only the title changed. 1) "VINTAGE EARLY JAPAN ~BLACK AMERICANA KIDS W/HATS~ SALT AND PEPPER"  and  2)  "VINTAGE EARLY JAPAN ~BLACK AMERICANA COOKS~ SALT AND PEPPER"

Two auctions were canceled by eBay.

Reason?  "Some item(s) you listed related to Black Americana are now covered under that policy and are no longer allowed on eBay"

HERE'S THE THING...

There are many (thousands) of listings with the two so called 'offensive words' BLACK AMERICANA. 

Plus, under the main category "Ethnic & Cultural Collectibles", there is a sub category called BLACK AMERICANA with SEVEN other types of BLACK AMERICANA within those categories.

I called ebay and within 24 hours they sent me a canned reply saying the same thing. "We recently updated our Offensive Materials Policy to prohibit items that portray negativity or stereotypes based on race or ethnicity. Some item(s) you listed related to Black Americana are now covered under that policy and are no longer allowed on eBay."

Obviously I'm being singled out here, and I'm considering a law suit.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

You're considering a lawsuit over a set of salt & pepper shakers? Dang this pandemic...

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Do not relist the items that were removed.

This has happened to multiple sellers across that category--you are not personally being singled out. In this climate of heightened awareness and sensitivity, eBay has stepped up its policing of Black Americana items.

As for a lawsuit, refer to the eBay User Agreement. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Offensive materials policy 

Don't judge what you can list on eBay by what someone else is listing on eBay.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

You may have left a few details out of your post. 
Was there anything about those salt and pepper shakers that could portray negativity or stereotypes?  

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

If they updated the guidelines, there isn't much you can do besides find a new platform to sell it on. Certain WWII memorabilia showing the Nazi swastika  is forbidden to be sold on here too. But there are WWII selling community sites out there that will still allow it. Just adapt and move on.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@doxiesarebest wrote:

Any suggestions?

I think all the other sellers that have had items removed in that category would disagree with you, about being singled out.

What good a law suit do, if you could file one, which you can't.

Find another place to sell those items.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

dont take it personal. everyone is offended by everything  in this new age. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

that was for the OP. sorry

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

So the law is that the speed limit is 55.  I get pulled over and get a ticket for driving 65.  But I am not going to agree that I am violating the law, I am going to sue because not everyone driving 65 got pulled over and ticketed, just some.

This is essentially what you are saying.  Good luck with that.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@doxiesarebest   Sadly times have changed ... we were at a flea market about a year and a half ago and there was an elderly man of color who had a really nice stand and all he was selling was black American statues and figurines ... wanna guess who was buying them?   EVERYBODY ... there were people of color and people of less color elbow to elbow at that stand ... and nobody seemed to be offended at all and everyone seemed to be very pleased with their purchase ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Ebay is a law unto itself..but Im glad they are removing them here..Ive seen some that made me cringe.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@doxiesarebest wrote:

Any suggestions?

Yes. Read the eBay User Agreement before you pay your lawyer to read it. 

Kidding aside, it's well known that there is no rhyme or reason to why eBay pulls some listings and not others in "iffy" situations. Probably the same reason 3 different eBay CS Reps will give you 3 - sometimes 4 - different answers to the same question.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@doxiesarebest wrote:

Any suggestions?

Yes, quit selling those salt and pepper shakers that are not allowed anymore or ebay will suspend your ability to sell forever.

Just because someone else hasn't been caught yet doesn't absolve you from having to play by the rules.

...as for a lawsuit you would have better luck yelling at the rain to stop being wet.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

"Obviously I'm being singled out here, and I'm considering a law suit"

Hope you have a real good dream team of lawyers, to match Ebays.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 15 of 31
latest reply