cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been a While but... I love feedback hostage takers.

Not really, no. I don't love them.  But it's been a while since I had anyone have trouble with anything I've sold - until this week.  Sold a child's saddle, used.  I cleaned it, conditioned it, checked it for soundness, it was a good little saddle made by a reputable maker.

It sold in 24 hours of being listed with a package deal for a complete set up.

Several days after it was delivered, I got a snotty message that began with: I don't want to leave you negative feedback but.... and the chief complaint was that there was some rust on the screws at the swells - which is normal.  They threw in later that the leather was 'so brittle it almost came apart'.  Which was not true at all.  It was such a nice little saddle, I was tempted to keep it for my own granddaughter.  I had two rodeo friends tell me it was too nice to flip, that I should keep it.  Buyer said they paid a ridiculous amount of money for it and wanted a partial refund.

The partial refund would have made the saddle price at about their initial low ball offer.

Thanks to being here off and on and reading, reading reading, I wisely messaged them back a simple: I'm sorry you're not satisfied with the item. Persuant to eBay's return policy, please open a return, I will pay for the shipping back, and upon receiving the items in the condition they were shipped out, I will refund  in full.

Lo and behold... 

Suddenly no no. It's fine.  Really. My son insists on keeping it... 

In the meantime, I'd looked at their own feedback - been here since 2007, had a 24 score, and had never, ever, left anyone, feedback, for anything, ever.

So.

Yeah. Whatever.

I don't get people.  It's dishonest and aggravating.  

Thanks for all the advice given to me in the past and to others that I lurked around and read, Community.  

I knew I had to ask him about the mysteries of life
He spit between his boots and he replied
"It's faster horses, younger women,
Older whiskey, and more money"
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Been a While but... I love feedback hostage takers.

@rdj831 wrote:

The buyer was probably a reseller or flea marketer in the real world and was fishing for a better price for resale. I have run into quite a few of those.

I wish it were just that, however my experience has shown once a seller gives in to the partial that is not the end of it... Hardly, then it just escalates, the buyer wants more and more until the seller either just gives it to them for free or they end up filing a SNAD anyway (and by now it might not be in its original condition).

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

If the item is bad enough to compalin about, then it is bad enough to send back. If it is not that bad then I guess they keep it. Good Job on the EVER Famous RETURN FOR FULL REFUND MANTRA. It works exceptionally well with partial refind scammers.

100% agree.  It is either fit for purchase or not.

A partial is not going to change that.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I am glad things worked out for you. I don't fall for the threats. I post tons of pictures and try to tell everything that is wrong with an item and pack everything well. Before ebay took away the ability to leave negativeson buyers, I sold an item to a guy who was getting hammered in his feedback for how horrible a buyer he is. He bought my item then sent me a hate message trying to tell me it was all kinds of damaged and if I didn't issue a full refund he would leave me bad feedback. I was like, "I don't do threats, leave the feedback. I don't care. Well he did and in turn I added to his already large amoung of negative feedback. 

I have no problem fixing a problem for a buyer who comes at me with a good attitude and is decent, but when someone comes at me nasty I don't do anything to help them and the threat of negative feedback doesn't bother me. I just use ebay to get rid of stuff I find or when I am trying to clean house, not use to run a business so I don't cringe when I get the "negative feedback" threat.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

It happened to me recently - an unhappy buyer refusing to return an item and hinting around for a partial. Buyer retaliated by smearing my reputation and keeping the bargain vintage books - which I shipped in a custom-made box so they would not get damaged during shipment. Oh the irony...

Selling on eBay is not the rainbows and unicorns that it once was.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

You would be surprised how many come here, read the advice and then figure, 'Well, maybe this one time I'll go ahead and give them a partial - they were so polite, you understand".  Although, if you've been reading here, then you've already seen it happen.  Somewhat irritating. 

Sure wish more would take the high road rather than figuring it is 'just the cost of doing business'.  Smiley Mad

It gets tricky when the items are too cheap to warrant return shipment or too expensive to pay to ship back. From a business perspective, it may save you money in the short term to just write the item off. Longer term you may be opening yourself up for more abuse. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

so I don't cringe when I get the "negative feedback" threat.

Negative feedback no longer has any "impact" on your seller rating.   I think I might make mention of that in the "I am so sorry your are not pleased with your item. Please initiate the refund via eBay yada yada.."  Been here for over 20 years, and I will say I always favored the $$$$ over green donuts.  We see plenty of sellers with RED donuts...many hundred a month, that are still at the top of search results.  And  we wonder why ebay removed the "report this message" button from the ebay message system.  They don't want to hear about the extortion either. 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@yanquita wrote:
It happened to me recently - an unhappy buyer refusing to return an item and hinting around for a partial. Buyer retaliated by smearing my reputation and keeping the bargain vintage books - which I shipped in a custom-made box so they would not get damaged during shipment. Oh the irony...

Selling on eBay is not the rainbows and unicorns that it once was.

Boy oh boy  ! would that make me mad ! I hope you replied to the nasty feedback ? Awhile back a buyer purchased 4 handmade jewelry items from me ,, then proceeded to leave me neutral feedback on all four by claiming inferior  design WITHOUT ever contacting me first for a resolution .  Then a few days ago the same buyer  made a low ball offer on another of my items in  which I quickly declined . I'd block her  but I've forgotten how to do it 😞   Tulips 

Message 22 of 23
latest reply