cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee for jewelry, ripe for buyers scamming sellers?

I haven't been selling for quite a while but have some higher end jewelry pieces I'd like to list that would fall into the AG category automatically. 

After reading over the AG FAQ etc I'm actually skeptical and not at all enthusiastic about shipping off jewelry to an unknown third party (glossy pics don't count), then on to a buyer who can still choose to return an item (according to your return policy) which then goes BACK to the so-called GIA (have my doubts about this), where they 'verify' your item is indeed what was originally sent out, then gets shipped on back to you, the seller. They 'verify' it is the same exact piece exactly HOW? Are they taking close up PHOTOS of your main carat stone??? I highly doubt that! Do you know how easy it is to pop a stone out of a prong setting and replace with another of lesser grade/value?! It's very easy. Has anyone had any bad experiences/hesitation such as this?

It's bad enough chewing fingernails shipping items off to buyers with signature delivery and insured, add a higher value and this extra layer of supposed expertise in the middle; how would one then go about proving that what you received back from the 'experts' was actually switched out?  Even if you have detailed close up photos in high resolution, this middle layer of AG giving your  buyer-returned item a thumbs up green check pass via their 'inspection (consisting of WHAT?) seems like a bad potential loss set-up. Ugh. I'm def on the fence.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Authenticity Guarantee for jewelry, ripe for buyers scamming sellers?

Hello. Adding to the post as I currently have a jewelry item shipped and marked for AG review. Here's my catch though: it sold for under $500 and still given the blue check. I think it's because the maker's mark is too similar to a high end one, Tiffany and Co. The items is by no means Tiffany but nice w/ gemstones and gold.  I think the item got flagged by the wrong/similar terminology of maker. My listing even states the correct maker's mark name with photos.

We'll see how the review goes and if item is returned. 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

My bet would be that it was an auction listing, and you listed it with a "buy it now" price of 500 or more.  They aren't randomly sending items to authentication, there are very specific qualifications for it to be triggered on a listing.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Oooo now that's interesting that they ran your item through tho under $500, yikes! Keep us posted. I was all set to sell 'lesser' pieces under $500 here and put the others on another site I found but your experience is making me reconsider again haha! Did ebay give you any explanation of why your item UNDER $500 was sent off anyway? I wish they could just make 'improvements' cohesive, transparent and uniform!

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Authentication is not triggered by what your item sells for, but what it is listed for.  In the above circumstance the posters listings are mainly auctions with buy it now prices.  If the auction ends at 250, but you had a buy it now price of 500, your item will go to authentication.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply