cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions vs. Buy It Now and COVId-19

I've been and occasional seller (on another account) since 1997. This was always to get rid of stuff I didn't want/raise money to buy stuff on here I wanted.

I have always done 7 day auctions. But when I read here on the boards, I keep seeing that most people don't do auctions anymore, most do Buy It Now. I never did this because I figured I'd have to be going to the post office multiple times a week, which I didn't think would work around my regular job. Well, fast forward to this year and I lost my job so I figured I could go to the post office more often. I tried doing Buy It Now twice, but I feel wary of the post office now.

We're supposed to limit our exposure to public places (going to the supermarket, etc.) Do those of you who sell for a living limit how much you go to the post office to avoid exposing yourself to the virus? Or have your visits to the post office stayed pretty much the same?

I have rheumatoid arthritis and the medication I take for it works by suppressing the immune system, so I was trying to limit my exposure to public places, but I'm thinking maybe I'll start doing Buy It Now.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auctions vs. Buy It Now and COVId-19

If you haven't done so, go to USPS's web site and setup an account with them, it just makes it easier to schedule pick ups, now with such said about USPS's pick ups, you do have to have at least one priority package, I believe, but I'm not sure, it's been awhile  since I've took note of it, b/c I always ship by priority. And if you ever planning on using UPS or FedEx, post cost is less expensive when you have an account with them... 

You know, in the being of eBay the auction style format was eBay's bread and butter, but things have changed, and I don't believe it's in the best interest of normal type items to worry with the auction style format; to me just set the prices that you want for the items at the buy it now format

Good luck and best wishes

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Why would you go to the Post Office at all, when you can have them pick up from your porch???  I have been selling for several years and never go to the Post Office.  I Schedule a Pick up and they come and pick up. I do mostly Buy it Now and have 24 hour shipping time, so I have to get them ready for the next day PU. It's wonderful!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If you haven't done so, go to USPS's web site and setup an account with them, it just makes it easier to schedule pick ups, now with such said about USPS's pick ups, you do have to have at least one priority package, I believe, but I'm not sure, it's been awhile  since I've took note of it, b/c I always ship by priority. And if you ever planning on using UPS or FedEx, post cost is less expensive when you have an account with them... 

You know, in the being of eBay the auction style format was eBay's bread and butter, but things have changed, and I don't believe it's in the best interest of normal type items to worry with the auction style format; to me just set the prices that you want for the items at the buy it now format

Good luck and best wishes

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You can have USPS pick up at your home now, as described by someone else. Personally I still go to my local PO and I am also practicing distancing. I only go once a day to my PO, usually in the early morning. Any packages I pack up the night before. My PO is only a 5 min drive from my home, right next door to my grocery store. 

I walk in with my packages all labeled and ready to go. Usually there is no one else there, and when there is I just stand away from them. There are now marks on the floor. At my turn I place my packages on the counter. Clerk scans them and hands me the receipt. I leave without touching anything, doors are automatic. When I get back in my car I use hand sanitizer. Drive directly home and wash up again. It's actually easier then my grocery store. So think about all those options and carry on selling to earn some money for yourself. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@salliemae wrote:

We're supposed to limit our exposure to public places (going to the supermarket, etc.) Do those of you who sell for a living limit how much you go to the post office to avoid exposing yourself to the virus? Or have your visits to the post office stayed pretty much the same?

I get what you're saying about not wanting unpredictable BIN sales to suddenly require a trip to the PO due to an unexpected sale that day, but speaking as someone who's done auctions since 2004 (and is now doing some fixed price listings as well), you don't always get paid on the day the auction ends, or even the next day, so in other words, you still have the possibility of having to ship one or more items on any given day of the week.

Speaking for myself only, I just put on my mask and go do whatever business is needed that day, including post office visits. That is, I don't see any higher risk at the PO as compared to other general public places such as supermarkets, etc. If I can face up to going on one day, I can do it just as well the next day, and the day after that, etc. I don't like it, and I really, really hate this whole mask-wearing life we're in right now, but I'm used to it enough that I can go out and do the stuff I need to do.

That's not to say that scheduling a pickup for the next day isn't a valid solution too. If your carrier is reliable enough to actually make the requested pickup and scan in the items properly, then just set your handling time to accommodate that (maybe 2 days), and you won't need to visit the PO at all.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you all for your responses---I don't know why scheduling a pick up hadn't occurred to me. I guess because up until a few months ago I wasn't here during the day, so couldn't do that. The habit of going to the post office was so ingrained. But I think I will try that and start doing Buy It Now. Thanks!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@salliemae wrote:

Do those of you who sell for a living limit how much you go to the post office to avoid exposing yourself to the virus?

I don't sell for a living, and I go every day. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@salliemae wrote:

Do those of you who sell for a living limit how much you go to the post office to avoid exposing yourself to the virus?

I don't sell for a living, and I go every day. 

Irrelevant.  Do you have RA and are on immune suppressant drugs and thus at a heightened risk? 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

My carrier walks the route, so while I leave small packages (e.g., #0 envelopes) out for my carrier to pick up, I take larger packages and boxes to the Post Office.  Unless there is no line, I just drop them off on the end of the counter just inside the door, which is where everyone else drops their stuff off as well.

Note that you can schedule a pick-up only if you have a Priority or Express package.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@eleeper-half wrote:

Note that you can schedule a pick-up only if you have a Priority or Express package.

Actually I don't think that's a requirement anymore. Any package types can be scheduled for pickup (as long as other details are also correct: length or weight limitations, no stamps, etc.). 

Ref: https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm 

I actually worked through the form to see what restrictions would show up if I was only sending one First Class Package and nothing else. I made it all the way to the Submit button without a problem. In particular, on the third screen, where you actually itemize the package(s) to be picked up, the field for specifying the package type has an Info link to list what types are valid, and virtually all prepaid packages can be picked up, even Media Mail (which is listed under their "Other" category).

Message 10 of 10
latest reply