cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions binding?

Seller had an auction for an item then when he did not like the auction result he cancelled the order using 'buyer requested to cancel order'. He then messaged me with this "Hi. Sorry. I'll have to cancel. The price is too low". I've reported seller and left negative feedback to warn others. What are any other options?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auctions binding?

Was it for the Peavy guitar amp.  Starting bid is $1.00.   He will probably get an even lower price. I would place a 1.oo bid just to see where this one ends at.  Maybe you will win it again.

Did you know that for auctions, Ebay actually recommends to start them at 99 cents.  Very often , they put the starting price at 99 cents and if the seller is not attentive, the ad may start at 99 cents. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@cus733 ,

Unfortunately, There is not much you can do. Ebay can force a seller to honor their auction. You did the right thing by reporting the seller and leaving negative feedback. 

I'm sure if the seller does it enough their days of selling on ebay will short lived. 

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Check seller feedback and when they joined. That seller never sold anything and was a new seller.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Yeah, he reposted the same item the same way today...

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

@cus733 ,

What is the seller expecting the results will be this time? 

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? You would think the seller would at least put a minimum bid on it this time?

Insane.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Sorry typo. I meant can't do anything.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@cus733 wrote:

Yeah, he reposted the same item the same way today...

Well, that earns him a promotion from "Clueless" to "Deeply  clueless."

Sellers complain a lot about zero-feedback buyers who behave badly, but there seems to be plenty of bad behavior by new sellers, too.  Sometimes it's because they don't know the rules, but this one in particular doesn't seem to have common sense: if starting n auction at $1 didn't work the first time, why relist the same way?  Although IIRC when a transaction is canceled, sometimes eBay will automatically relist the item.  Still, he's had his chance to adjust the opening bid price.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Hi @cus733 

What is the starting Auction price on that Seller's listing???

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

$1.00

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Buyers do it all the time although technically they may be binding the same way a buyer can do it means  a seller can although ebay will probably kick them off.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Yeah, I was a 'Top-Rated' seller for 7 years and would have never done something like this. Never had any negative any feedback up to when I retired in 2020. If he had a finacial issue and needed me to cancel I would have no issue. But this was just plan wrong.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

You have taken care of it. A pound of flesh is all that is allotted.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@cus733 wrote:

$1.00

@cus733   Thank you, now let me tell you what the issue really is and it is NOT the Seller's problem, it is eBay's lack of educating new Sellers on how to price Auctions ... in most cases they recommend starting at 99 cents giving the impressing that it will bid up to a higher amount.  Proof of that is the pic below ...I created a listing Auction format and eBay suggests 99 cents starting price (green arrow)  ... then when I switch the format in the listing tool to Buy it now they show the Median price of $ 13.45 (orange arrow) ... duh, why not give the Seller TAHT as the starting price for their auction???

Sellers need to start their auction at a price that if it sell on ONE bid they make their profit ... more bids would mean more profit.  So if the Seller is new it is NOT necessarily their fault the item sold so cheap.

You may want to consider asking the Seller for a Feedback revision form and change the Neg FB to positive ... 

Screenshot (20).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I'll pass

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

lol

Message 15 of 36