cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction Title misrepresents what is posted in pictures.

There is an auction for a singer sewing machine that is claiming to be in the first run which makes it more valuable.  There are currently 18 bids and the seller does not except returns.  The issue is the pictures are not of a first run machine although the serial number has been altered to match the sequence run.    I have sent a message to the seller with the belief that they are unaware given they have a great reputation.   Is there anyway to report an auction that is misrepresented.   I know I should just go on my way but it truly bothers me that someone is going to be cheated and may never know it until it is to late.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Auction Title misrepresents what is posted in pictures.

@elpstuff wrote:

Is there anyway to report an auction that is misrepresented.

No. It's your word against the seller's, and eBay would have no way of knowing who to believe. Caveat emptor is the motto for on-line purchases, although it's pretty easy for a buyer to file a Not As Described dispute if that turns out to be the case.

If it helps, I would say that most buyers who are interested in a first-run Singer machine would also be familiar enough with it to know what they're looking at (or not looking at).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The fact that a seller states that returns aren't accepted doesn't mean anything.

ALL eBay buyers have the Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  That means that, if a received item does not fit the description, the buyer can open an item not as described case.  eBay will require that the seller either send the buyer a repaid return label or reimburse him in advance for return shipping.  Upon receipt of the faulty item, the seller is required to refund the buyer in full.  

Have you not read the MBG?  It is recommended reading for all sellers as well as all buyers.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@elpstuff wrote:

Is there anyway to report an auction that is misrepresented.   I know I should just go on my way but 

There is a link to "report item" on every single eBay listing. But generally speaking, eBay is not going to take down based solely on your word. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Whoever buys it can file an Item Not As Described and get a full refund.  The seller's "No Return" policy does not mean "No Refunds," as he will learn if he thinks otherwise.

The fact is that the majority of antiques, antiquities, and collectibles listed on eBay are misidentified or misrepresented, innocently or intentionally.  Neither your nor eBay can police the literally hundreds of millions of listings for such things, so buyers need to be (a) canny and (b) familiar with the MBG.

=

Message 5 of 5
latest reply