cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point will Ebay ban a buyer who threatens to physically harm a seller?

I have a buyer who just bought a Christmas ornament from me. The post office took an extra three days longer than estimated to deliver the ornament to the buyer. Several days before the ornament was too be delivered, the buyer was sending me multiple messages daily using foul language and insult in every single message. He filed an INR claim the day after the estimated date and then it got there two days later.

After it gets there, he complains and says he was expecting to receive an ornament like he had seen in someone else's Youtube video and not the one I had pictured and described in my listing. So he files an "item not as described" claim.

In his claim he threatended to come to my house and spit in my face. Then he said I would be a victim and that he would violate my rear end. I called Ebay on this asked them to read all the messages he sent me over the past eight to ten days. Even with the blatant physical threats, they seem reluctant to suspend this buyer from Ebay. What exactly does a buyer have to do to get their account suspended? If making physical threats against doesn't qualify, I don't know what will!! 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: At what point will Ebay ban a buyer who threatens to physically harm a seller?

He's blocked from buying. The problem is you can't block him from sending messages "related to the transaction" for 90 days after purchase. Ebay allows buyer to continue to send you messages, even if you block them from doing so, because there was a transaction between the two members. Since Ebay doesn't attend to do anything with his account, this member can continue to harass me or others that he's purchased anything from in the past 90 days.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: At what point will Ebay ban a buyer who threatens to physically harm a seller?

@ncc1701-b wrote:

No. It does not appear they have done anything. His account is still active and he is still able to contact me and it's very likely there are others he is harassing. Ebay would rather have someone "spending" money on their site than they would more sellers.

File the police report and then call eBay with the report #

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I've used a P.O. box for ebay transactions for years too. But I have an unusual last name, so it would be easy to find my home address. Even having a common name, & using sellers name + p.o. box zip code, it wouldn't be difficult with an online people search with area location. Most people don't live many miles away from their p.o. box.

Scary what you can find out about people online..

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I have an extremely rare last name - about 12 in the entire USA. I can't hide with a PO box so I don't try. The OP may be better off.  I agree , file a police report.  This guy/gal sounds in need of medical intervention.  If you're a registered voter in my state, someone can get your mailing address without any trouble at all.  So....

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

When talking to eBay about this problem, be sure to name the policies that the user violated. Another poster mentioned the Threats and Offensive Language policy. But he has also violated the Member to Member Contact policy, see link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=4262

Also, have you made a report thru the link in the following policy? It may be the right eBay person needs to have this brought to their attention in order to get this matter addressed. You can find such a link in the Report an Issue With a Buyer policy. Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084

One last thing, eBay will not discuss actions it takes against a member, so you may not know what punishment, if any, is applied. 

So sorry this happened to you. Wish you all the best, and swift relief from this terrible situation.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

On the Classic version you could block a buyer.  On this new **bleep** version they have now I don't know where to even look to tell you how to block the buyer.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Where I live, what this "person" did is called making a terroristic threat.

Miss. Code § 97-7-75 look it up.

The fun part: A person convicted of the offense of making a terroristic threat is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections for not more than ten (10) years.

It's been tried and upheld many times, and there are several people enjoying a stretch in Parchman because of their verbal behavior.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@reddsjewelryetc wrote:

On the Classic version you could block a buyer.  On this new **bleep** version they have now I don't know where to even look to tell you how to block the buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

You find it under account>selling preferences, where it's always been. https://www.ebay.com/uas/selling-pref

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 23 of 23
latest reply