cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask a mentor

Is ebay wanting to eventually eliminate all but "ask a mentor" responses from the community?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@wesk_36 wrote:

Is ebay wanting to eventually eliminate all but "ask a mentor" responses from the community?

What was it that prompted this question? 

Curiosity!

I noticed an atypical amount of postings in that category lately and wondered if ebay was encouraging that, and maybe eventually transitioning the "discussion" boards to only selected members giving any answers?

@luckythewinner 

Thanks for asking... I wondered where the question came from, too.

@wesk_36 

I never think to check that board... I kind of like it here where I can play along. LOL

Message 16 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@dnasilver wrote:

You choose your mentor, mentor's have no business choosing you.

Mentors don't choose anybody, we just try to answer questions.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

Hi @wesk_36 , You can post on this thread the link to the thread where you believe an incorrect response was given.  If it was incorrect, it will give other Mentors an opportunity to correct it. 

Many of the posts in AAM/A2M go unanswered for various reasons, often because upon closer inspection, the OP is in a country other than the US, for example, which necessitates the caveat YMMV. 

The pilot program being tested where some responders are receiving modest pay is on forums run by a different entity than these boards, Limitless.  Not all eBay responders are eligible because of the states they live in, some states have restrictions on that type of earning, and at present the pilot program is full and not accepting new applicants.  But for your future reference, here's the link, below.  Good luck! 

Limitless - paid pilot program https://www.limitlesstech.com/onboard/ebay/closed-for-applications/  

Message 18 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused because you clearly stated this:

"Sometimes the posts are so vague with needed detail, we have to guess what the poster's need is."

Sounds like you do guess and do not inquire additional info. Am I misreading this? That is why I suggested what I did. Thanks again for helping those you can  help.

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

Hi @pikabo-icu   Regarding "mentors are not paid"   I believe the OP was mixing apples and oranges, and referring to that program in Great Britain whereby some members are paid a pittance, LOL.  If you scroll down this thread to the post by tenbigdogs – on page 2 as of this writing, but as more replies come in it may get pushed farther down – there's a little more detail about the program, and a link to a site that shows the name and location of the company. 

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

This post is also what I concerned about. I just collected a lot of information here from your comments.

Thank you guys for that.

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@wesk_36 wrote:

Curiosity!

I noticed an atypical amount of postings in that category lately and wondered if ebay was encouraging that, and maybe eventually transitioning the "discussion" boards to only selected members giving any answers?

I definitely have been wondering the same and wouldn't put it past ebay to only allow the Kool-Aid drinkers to post responses.  Even if there isn't anything nefarious going on, the optics on this definitely look bad to me, and I can definitely feel like my posting/opinions aren't appreciated here.

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@2013grotz wrote:

@wesk_36 wrote:

Curiosity!

I definitely have been wondering the same and wouldn't put it past ebay to only allow the Kool-Aid drinkers to post responses.  Even if there isn't anything nefarious going on, the optics on this definitely look bad to me, and I can definitely feel like my posting/opinions aren't appreciated here.

I think that board has been around a long time.

IIRC it was called "ask a question" or similar.  I recall reading it and not being able to reply to any posts.

They changed the name-  I never saw any complaints about it prior to the name change. 

How do you determine a "Kool-aid drinker" exactly?

Whom decides who gets to designate a "Kool-aid drinker"?

Is it subjective? 

Just curious.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

its a subjective subject being able to get along with so many diverse rules on ebay

I think most ebayers want to go along to get along............some see that as a sign of being sheeple.

I look at it like this you have " kool aid drinkers  and my personal favorite posters who I lump into a group called the "cant hack its"

its all so open to interpretation why we feel the way we do

keep on selling

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 24 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@1tuna 

Yes Thank you for that.

My question was somewhat rhetorical- albeit not entirely..

I get very tired & sad at all the name calling & designating members into some invented, subjective categories; Kool-aid drinkers, Shills, cheerleaders, sheep and the like..

I don't always agree with what eBay does- I don't agree with all their policies as written.. There are issues- BUT I try my best to operate within the rules and to help others understand them if they seem confused.

Just because members here explain rules/policies, that doesn't mean we agree with all of them. I can think of a couple that I and other regular posters here have some big issues with- 

But the bickering & sniping doesn't help anyone.. 

Anyway carry on.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@tenbigdogs wrote:

Hi @wesk_36 , You can post on this thread the link to the thread where you believe an incorrect response was given.  If it was incorrect, it will give other Mentors an opportunity to correct it. 

Many of the posts in AAM/A2M go unanswered for various reasons, often because upon closer inspection, the OP is in a country other than the US, for example, which necessitates the caveat YMMV. 

The pilot program being tested where some responders are receiving modest pay is on forums run by a different entity than these boards, Limitless.  Not all eBay responders are eligible because of the states they live in, some states have restrictions on that type of earning, and at present the pilot program is full and not accepting new applicants.  But for your future reference, here's the link, below.  Good luck! 

Limitless - paid pilot program https://www.limitlesstech.com/onboard/ebay/closed-for-applications/  

Hi tenbigdogs, I don't want to post a link as I certainly don't want to shame anyone and even if not shaming it could be construed as such. The OP in that case could see that the answer was not applicable due to a misunderstanding, I am sure.

Most of the responders here are fantastic, mentors or not. I learn so much from members and try to answer only if I know a solution or insight...

The pilot program Limitless was what I had read, although you gave more information and that clarifies a lot.

I wonder if the "Ask a mentor" used to be Member to member?

Sometimes when I see a question, it's like I raise my hand and say..."I know, I know!" and type out an answer only to find the Reply button blanked out. Now I just skip anything with Ask a mentor. It was just a petty annoyance, on the other hand, I spend to much time here, anyway LOL!

Thank you for your response!

-------------
Posting ID
Message 26 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

-------------------------------------------------------------

I do believe that is what it is.

this "ask a mentor" has just started popping up here for me in the past couple of days. 

That may be the "up tick" in it.

Previously after the big boards "revamping"/"restructure" the M2M post did not appear in my board viewing unless I specifically went to that board.

I like reading the M2M stuff, as I can learn things there.  Having it here makes it easier for me.

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

this "ask a mentor" has just started popping up here for me in the past couple of days. 

Previously after the big boards "revamping"/"restructure" the M2M post did not appear in my board viewing unless I specifically went to that board.

I like reading the M2M stuff, as I can learn things there.  Having it here makes it easier for me.

Using my saved short cut to that page now shows no posts after 6/4/21.

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

I remember getting this notice.

My first thought is eBay wants members to act as mentors and do the work for eBay ($$$).

eBay members do not have all the answers and if they do, they need to get outside and enjoy life rather than sit in front a screen all day! That is what a paid eBay employee is suppose to do!

We all sat in front of the screen last year! Time to get some fresh air!

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

Ask a mentor

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Using my saved short cut to that page now shows no posts after 6/4/21.

Thank you!

I mistakenly thought it was formerly ask a question..

You are correct- I remember visiting that board.

I don't recall any complaints about the program before they renamed it- perhaps the new moniker wasn't such a wise choice.. 

~Pika~

Message 30 of 60
latest reply