cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask a mentor

Is ebay wanting to eventually eliminate all but "ask a mentor" responses from the community?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Ask a mentor

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

the old Charlie Brown and the football.  

Great analogy!

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 46 of 60
latest reply

I see three unanswered questions in two pages - two are rants.  That board can move pretty fast.

Hopefully you'll get your application OK'd!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 47 of 60
latest reply

I've posted this several times before, but it just doesn't seem to sink in for some people.  The number one criteria to becoming a Mentor is to actually LIKE eBay.  Responder posts are reviewed, of course they are.  If a responder spends a lot of time complaining about eBay, calling it names and accusing the people who DO like it of being corporate shills and worse, well then give it a thought.  That responder is not a prime candidate for the Mentor program, the purpose of which is to help other members better enjoy their eBay experience, most often through a better understanding of eBay Policy & Procedure.  Does a Mentor have to agree 100% with every eBay policy?  No.  They just have to accept it, often while working behind the scenes to have unpopular features and policies modified.   Good luck!

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

There is one Mentor who is quite vocal about not liking MP,  but the answers are accurate.   I don't study policy and procedure because I have a life, but I do like selling here and answering questions and discussing eBay keeps me from boring my family!  Hubby doesn't "speak eBay"!!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

There is one Mentor who is quite vocal about not liking MP,  but the answers are accurate.   I don't study policy and procedure because I have a life, but I do like selling here and answering questions and discussing eBay keeps me from boring my family!  Hubby doesn't "speak eBay"!!

I have a life, too, and I manage.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 50 of 60
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I have a life, too, and I manage.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything by that.  Just meant I didn't search the help pages for all the answers, but it's a good thing many people do.  You always have great answers!  @chapeau-noir 

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

@chapeau-noir   And, I was talking about someone else!

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

I think I can answer a lot of the questions here, and would be happy to address any that I missed.

The Member to Member board was created in 2015 as a Customer Service overflow from eBay's help pages. The only way a question could be asked on the Member to Member board was through the Help portal.  You will see the link on all help pages.  Otherwise, the board was not accessible unless found by other means, like "new posts" or popular questions.

As an intermediate step between CS and the forums, the Mentors responding on the Member to Member forum had to be vetted for an ability to remain calm and friendly and to be able to stay current with eBay policies.  Many knowledgable people have considered the program, but knew they could not operate within the deportment constraints, so have declined invitations to join.

With the community overhaul, the board was renamed Ask a Mentor, and it appears in the menu list, rather than being hidden. This appearance (and a recent fluke in the eBay UK pages that redirects UK members here)  has created a sudden influx of questions, and of course, many are going unanswered.  On top of that, the forum structure is now making it difficult for Mentors to sift through the pages to locate the unanswered. More infrastructure work is required.

The number of available Mentors is at a low ebb right now with summer vacations, private lives, normal attrition, and with a few of our more prolific Mentors tapping into the UK pilot program. 

So with that bit of a backgrounder, I do know that the Community leaders will be looking for new Mentors when they can get out from under the overhaul here.  I would urge regular posters to apply if you enjoy helping others, can hold your tongue, walk away from arguments, and deliver help with a smile. eBay knowledge is a huge asset, although the Mentors do support each other in cross-training and sharing knowledge; and getting up to speed and remaining there is always a group effort.  One of the benefits of the Mentor program is that the Mentors have better access to pursuing answers to community questions, due to the quasi-CS nature of the program.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I wonder if the "Ask a mentor" used to be Member to member?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I do believe that is what it is.

this "ask a mentor" has just started popping up here for me in the past couple of days. 

That may be the "up tick" in it.

Previously after the big boards "revamping"/"restructure" the M2M post did not appear in my board viewing unless I specifically went to that board.

I like reading the M2M stuff, as I can learn things there.  Having it here makes it easier for me.

And as suddenly as they started to appear here for me to read, the "ask a mentor" posts have vanished from the posts displayed for me to read without specifically going to that board.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

Better than you.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

@*madison wrote:

I've looked through a few pages and many questions haven't been answered that were posted yesterday, 27th, and the 26th.

Every time I look, I see loads of unanswered questions.

That's not good. Not good at all.

Last time I was on there (last night), all questions were answered save one or two which were just rants.

I have a look there sometimes, most questions are answered, madison and myself are not in the US and I notice a LOT of questions around 2.00am your time and onwards, so it looks like they are ignored, when most people are actually just asleep.

And, they get even more ridiculous questions than these boards, and I agree they tend to ignore the rants or one liners, which IMO they should.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 56 of 60
latest reply

@wesk_36 wrote:

I have noticed a sharp upswing in questions in the "ask a mentor" board today.
---

It seems that maybe the "mentors" are overwhelmed. Ebay must be pushing this on questioners?

"An eBay user who volunteers said the new practice of paying some people is leading to fewer questions being answered."

As someone who has contributed to the general eBay Community thru these message boards for a very very long time, I would agree that knowing that someone else was getting paid to do what I'm doing for free would be viewed as extremely rude by the organization making the payments.  Do these paid persons have to identify that they are being paid to answer your question?  Are they considered eBay employees/contractors and therefor required to identify themselves as such on the boards?

It sounds more like eBay wants to ensure there are "members" who are trumpeting the company line, thinking this will help balance the other, true members who speak from personal experience and have no interest in ensuring eBay continues to profit from seller activity - rather, they have a great interest in ensuring eBay sellers continue to be able to profit from their labors, with eBay receiving a fair amount for the service of bring buyer/seller together and for ensuring both parties behave them selves.

Well... this is eBay... so why should I even pretend to be surprised?

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 57 of 60
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@wesk_36 

< the new practice of paying some people is leading to fewer questions being answered >     

Surely you can appreciate how preposterous that statement would be if such payment were based on the number of answers.  Bean counters – and I do use that term as a pejorative – value quantity over quality.  I don't know how payments would be calculated, but I've seen a lot of one-line answers, as if the responder were knocking them out as fast as possible so they could quickly move on to the next one.  I don't know who the payees are, or even if there are any in the first place, but I'm not one, and my answers tend to run pretty long ... some would say too long, LOL out loud.  

This is exactly why there would be fewer answers - folks like you and I would be more likely to stop answering questions if we were to unequivocally learn that eBay was 'salting the boards' by paying some members to post answers.  Mostly because quickie answers tend to be less helpful, but also because these paid "members" should be clearly identifying themselves as profiteers from the answers they provide.  ie: they are paid to trumpet eBay's company line.

I think the common term is 'a shill'.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 58 of 60
latest reply

I was invited.  After seeing some answers here from some posters, I can see where they might!  Bad attitudes, snarkey remarks, and more hurt rather than help.  We'll see.  I'm open minded. Could be an upgrade.     

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This topic has been closed at the request of the OP.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 60 of 60
latest reply