cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are your sales through the roof now that ebay is advertising??

I saw a couple of ebay ads on TNT this morning (Sun), they are not half bad.

But, I just got back from seeing Spiderman (save your money, it reeks.  The easter egg at the very end is the best part of the movie) and it grossed 200 million dollars in two weeks and yes - there's an ebay ad just before the trailers kick in.

So with all this exposure, everybodies sales have got to be going up.  Right?

Now where is that sarcasm font?

(*Bleep*)
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

I don't think I sell the sort of thing ebay is advertising ( I sell used books). I was down in June compared to May and July is looking a lot like June.

Message 16 of 73
latest reply

I would rather they spend money on advertising than the "think tank" in Manhattan.

Sold a teapot that's been here quite awhile. The shipping and fvfs are so much now. Used to sell a lot to CA. Almost never sell cross country anymore.

Message 17 of 73
latest reply

@vintagecraze50

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

YAY!!!!!!  Mr Lincoln!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you everyone, no applause please, just throw money! 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 73
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I especially love the new commercial where they make the little boy cry... Smiley Frustrated

Can honestly say eBay's driven me to tears a few times too.. Smiley Tongue

Did you make that? LOL! 

Sales are normal...whatever that is. 

Message 19 of 73
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I especially love the new commercial where they make the little boy cry... Smiley Frustrated

Can honestly say eBay's driven me to tears a few times too.. Smiley Tongue

I only saw that one once, and thought, wow, the kids so scared he's gonna cry.  Good going ebay.

The purse one is trying to guilt the women to check ebay.

What I love is that the tagline is put some color in your cart and everything the show is beige or neutral colored, no color at all.

No smooching in the movie, but he is supposedly 14/15 in the movie.  It's a reboot.   One of the worst things is that they made Tony Stark a total Ahole, that might hurt the Iron Man franchise.

(*Bleep*)
Message 20 of 73
latest reply

ersatz, that is really one of the ads.  There are three after the original Amazon conveyor belt parody that I have seen and all of them are weak, but they get the name prominately stated, so that is a plus.

(*Bleep*)
Message 21 of 73
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

ersatz, that is really one of the ads.  There are three after the original Amazon conveyor belt parody that I have seen and all of them are weak, but they get the name prominately stated, so that is a plus.

Ah, ok, they messed with it. What really was said was a reporter was asking a kid if he was going to miss his mom on his first day of kindergarten. Still cute that ebay made a joke at their own expense, I like that. 

Message 22 of 73
latest reply

This has always been my favourite eBay ad.

Although technically it was Canada Post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJ2dIuB2y4

Note the promotion of small sellers and unique goods.

Message 23 of 73
latest reply

That would be nice but ebay promotes that 80% that they sell now is new. 

USPS has yanked all the blue boxes around here just this summer. No more dropping small boxes off at the corner of two city streets. 

Message 24 of 73
latest reply

"USPS has yanked all the blue boxes around here just this summer. No more dropping small boxes off at the corner of two city streets. "

What!!! Why??? Do you know why? I used to mail a lot from the market down the road, town is a half hour away....arghhhhh.
Message 25 of 73
latest reply

That new ad with the little boy is cute.  However, when the say "totally new and totally you" it made me realize what I sell just doesn't fit into their new campaign.

Remember the old commericals for Breck shampoo with Heather Locklear when they multipled her image while she said "and she told two friends", "and she told two friends", on and on and her voice echoed?  It essentially was passing the secret of Breck shampoo down the friendship lines.  It was extremely clever.

I always think ads in that vein -- for those who have forgotten eBay-- would work for eBay albeit new or pre-owned items in the ad.  Passing the secret down the line for those to find eBay again.  Of course selfishly I wish they'd focus the ad on a vintage or pre-owned item, but it would work either way.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 26 of 73
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"USPS has yanked all the blue boxes around here just this summer. No more dropping small boxes off at the corner of two city streets. "

What!!! Why??? Do you know why? I used to mail a lot from the market down the road, town is a half hour away....arghhhhh.

I don't know why, but I figure there's two possibilities--one or both could be true-- to cut down on workload, and two national security.

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

Copper actually linked me the new ads today and I thought they s**ked. I'd much rather see the ad from June with the Ebay colors. I did'nt feel the commercials were funny or actually emphasized the great deals, unique items and wonderful sellers for Ebay. Whoever their marketing team is should be fired.

How about doing an ad with a couple on vacation - strolling through a huge flea market and one saying I wish they had these where we live as they have a little of everything - and then someone says you have this at your fingertips - no matter where you are - it's called Ebay.

Ebay is selling itself short by not recognizing the ptential it still has. No millenials are not collecting anymore - but many are going retro - want retro furniture ect.. Ebay is the place to look for it.

I've had sales but I can't say it's from the new commercials because I thought they looked cheap and dumb.

Message 28 of 73
latest reply

They could really expand on that vacation idea too--since it costs $100 extra to travel with a suitcase, bringing back goodies from markets on vacation is really tough these days to fit them in your suitcase and not have it go over weight. 

Message 29 of 73
latest reply

Maybe we need to apply to Ebay for a marketing job. I thought up a few ideas that would elevate Ebay ad not demean it like those commericals did. Maybe that's the new thing in today's society and I'm just not getting it.

You could use the same concept with a couple going through a toy museum like we have the Fisher Price Museum in East Aurora NY - you can find it on Ebay.

Or when we were in Vegas - I loved standing in old Vegas watching the artists with the spray paint - swinging that canvas around - spraying here and there - and the end result - a beautiful picture. I'm sure they can ship them - but I saw many people admiring the pictures and walking away as they didn't want to carry them on the plane - guess what - they have them on Ebay.

The ideas are endless - and in todays's society - despite the millenials being mostly into tech - they are also into fun and unique. There are plenty of items here on Ebay to satisfy that - you just have to let them know!!

Message 30 of 73
latest reply