cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you running a sale this weekend?

I'm running a 20% off Markdown Manager Sale on everything in my store this weekend in an effort to goose sales a little. (I usually run a sale on only selected items)

And no, I did not increase my prices first. Most of my stuff has good margins, so I'm OK with 20%. Whether it will do much good or not, well, we'll see. I might also send a 10% off coupon for Small Business Saturday, and post that to FB and Instagram as well....but with very few followers, I doubt it will get much use. (It will "stack" onto the existing 20% off sale, but will probably only be good for Saturday. Haven't decided for sure yet.)

Anyone else? If so, what are you doing?

We keep hearing buyers are looking for "value" this year, and all the major retailers are discounting heavily, so I figure, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. LOL

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I try to take off the month of December. What that amounts to for me is creating no new listings.

I do end & then do a "sell similar" for current listings that are close to the end of the 30 days time period. On those listings I drop the price, usually 20-30%, depending on how long I've had the item & what I paid for it. That's my Christmas sale. The price goes back up when the next 30 expires.

I've had a great year, probably up 40% over last year, so I don't care if anything sells in December or not. I'll hit it hard again come January 1.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Yes, I am running markdown sales. I started on Wednesday and have been marking items down each day and will continue doing that through Monday.  The markdowns will all end on the 30th. 

I include a coupon for 10% off the next order in every package and I am seeing those being redeemed.

On December 1st I will decide on a promotion to run through December 14th or 15th. All of my items ship Ground Advantage. The cut-off date this year For Ground Advantage is December 16th. Typically, my sales come to a screeching halt in mid-December regardless of markdowns or order discounts.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Not running any sales this weekend ... am listing new stuff from an auction purchase from earlier this week ... 

may not run my 4Q23 quarterly PLS Campaign ... don't want to pay eBay's inflated "Suggested rates" that do nothing but kill profit margins.  Hope everyone has a successful Selling weekend.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

It’s not exactly a sale but I edited all my 112 listings and allowed offers on all of my items for now certainly until after the weekend to see how it goes!

Thank you for asking!

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

And to all the great sellers who frequently post such helpful comments on this board I’m wishing for “Mr. Moneybag” to  fly into your window 🪟 with lots of money very soon… 

”Mr. Moneybag” is a discontinued balloon float that is no longer flying D4AF8FAE-86D7-4FA3-980A-6A059A95E8EE.jpegin the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade after 3 years of service.  I took this pix during my black and white photography period…

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

I thought that was the Jamie Iannone - eBay balloon, flying out our windows with the eBay fee.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

One could just call that float "The 1%".

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Nope. No sales breaks this weekend. I feel my prices are already competitive on many of my items. I am running a Facebook ad though, to increase traffic. 

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

I'm shutting down in a week or so, so no sale - I'd already sent out a ton of offers so that was kind of my "sale". I'll have a big January clearance, though, on most of my fall and winter items.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

I have found having 24-hour sales beneficial.  I pretty much have a constant loop going, it's easy to 'copy' the markdown sale.   Seeing the 'sale ends' hourly countdown on the listing seems to help. 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

No sale.

Pretty much amazed by what has been sold recently after a couple of bad weeks.

Anecdotal evidence that buyers have been looking longer than usual before buying, and I am not sure I want to create the wait for a sale mentality.

I expect sales to be terrible in November and December for what I sell.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

No sale.

Pretty much amazed by what has been sold recently after a couple of bad weeks.

Anecdotal evidence that buyers have been looking longer than usual before buying, and I am not sure I want to create the wait for a sale mentality.

I expect sales to be terrible in November and December for what I sell.

People who get $$ for presents. Or they got what they didn't want for Christmas and shop with us afterwards to get what they DID want lol.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Yes, everything I have listed is for sale.  I'm sitting at my PC waiting for someone to buy something.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@aeparts1  Glad to hear you had a great year...may it continue through 2024!

@mcdougle4248  I've tried using the coupons that way in the past, with no luck. But then I don't sell in a niche that makes it easier for people to buy multiples...but maybe I'll give it a try if sales don't pick up. Glad to hear they are working for you.

@mr_lincoln Most of my items are also in a PLS campaign, but at no where near ebay's recommended rate. I have healthy margins on my stuff, so I can handle the 20% discount for my buyers, but they aren't so healthy that I can give ebay an even bigger cut...I don't entirely rule it out, but I doubt I'll go higher....at least not while running a sale

@jewelbiz  A lot of my items have Best Offer, and I find, even with the 20% off, many buyers will still make offers. I usually point out that the item is already discounted, and then suggest something just a little shy of the already discounted price. Some take it, some don't. Hope you get some good offers!

@gloryglorygifts Have you found FB advertising draws you a lot of traffic and sales? I assume you already have a decent following on FB? Is it worth it to pay FB? 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply