cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone notice that their watch list now defaults to 'Most Relevant'?

My saved ebay summary page, which I'm still miffed at having the selling removed from there, now the watch list defaults to 'most relevant' instead of 'ending soonest'.

Another wonderful "enhancement" brought to you from grade school programmers!

46 REPLIES 46

Re: Anyone notice that their watch list now defaults to 'Most Relevant'?

Yes, and I still cannot figure out why ebay put it in the order they did.

It certainly was not for my benefit.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

I thought some auctions were removed, until I realized it. 

No wonder I missed bidding on some things.

Just when you think they have reached a new low, they dig further.

I wonder if it is a glitch because when I list ending soonest or newly listed, it does not change.

And ending soonest should show the one that is expiring tonight first, and it does not.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I wonder if it is a glitch because when I list ending soonest or newly listed, it does not change.

And ending soonest should show the one that is expiring tonight first, and it does not.

One would think that is 'most relevant'. Evidently ebay doesn't.

It appears to be the latest glitch generated by ebay's crack technical unit that devotes its energies entirely to fiddling with the web interface to no purpose whatsoever. See also the pointless new feedback page when viewed on a large pc screen. Horrible. Employees are recruited exclusively from those who have never used ebay as a buyer or seller, so's not to poison their creativity with prior knowledge or common sense. Motto: “If it ain't broke, break it good and proper then get paid again to fix it.” Anyway, I had a crack at making the watch list the default home page. If you go to LISTS down the left of the page and click on watch list it defaults to 'ending soonest'. Yay! This view also actually allows you to change the home page view (not obtuse or concealed at all... Good to know though, until they hide it somewhere else) . Unfortunately if you set the Watch list to be your new summary view it defaults back to the baffling ‘most relevant’... Sigh. Change it back to summary view and you are right back where you started. I suppose that we have to wait to see if anyone in the web un-design department fixes the 'improvement'. None of this is helped by ebay being awash with contradictory internal hep pages that show you how to use features in 2003 that no one has ever bothered to update and the impossibility of politely contacting ebay when things like this happen (almost weekly) . Just try the hilarious 'customer service' maze page and see how far you get. You can contact them as long as it is about a question that you don’t want to ask. If too many people do ask a question on the permitted list then the question will be removed without notice. Have a nice day. Brilliant.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

This must be a test or a gradual rollout, since my Watch list is still in order by "Ending soonest," thank goodness.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a programmers' newsletter out there with "Goofy idea of the week," since I got a very similar notice this morning from Facebook, saying that my notifications will now be shown in the order that THEY think is most relevant, rather than in chronological order.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 8.25.45 AM.png

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

This must be a test or a gradual rollout, since my Watch list is still in order by "Ending soonest," thank goodness.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a programmers' newsletter out there with "Goofy idea of the week," since I got a very similar notice this morning from Facebook, saying that my notifications will now be shown in the order that THEY think is most relevant, rather than in chronological order.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 8.25.45 AM.png

I have mine on ending soonest.  And it is in a crazy order.  But when I change it to newly listed, it stays in the same crazy order.

So I have the settings but they do not seem to work.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Well many times you can't get to the Watch List but that seems to be better.

They seem to have made the work around Trinton suggested the default.

Before you would have three concise pages for three hundred items.  When it worked, it was great because you just scrolled through three pages.

Now there is far more pages, 6? 12?  I saw twelve at one point and scrolling through all those pages to delete is a bit much.

Ending soonest makes more sense so you don't miss out on a listing that is ending.  

Most Relevant is in the eye of the beholder.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Well many times you can't get to the Watch List but that seems to be better.

They seem to have made the work around Trinton suggested the default.

Before you would have three concise pages for three hundred items.  When it worked, it was great because you just scrolled through three pages.

Now there is far more pages, 6? 12?  I saw twelve at one point and scrolling through all those pages to delete is a bit much.

Ending soonest makes more sense so you don't miss out on a listing that is ending.  

Most Relevant is in the eye of the beholder.

And the 'beholder' in this case would be the tinker monkeys, who would probably need to google the word. They obviously didn't bother to google 'relevant'.

I can't see that relevant makes more sense than ending soonest.

Logically.

This will hurt Ebay's bottom line as people miss listings they might have bought or bid on.

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

I can't see that relevant makes more sense than ending soonest.

Logically.

This will hurt Ebay's bottom line as people miss listings they might have bought or bid on.

Exactly.

Actually, I can't see that relevant is even relevant for a watch list.

Most relevant IS ending soonest!

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

But that is my point -I  have it on ending soonest, and it is in a weird order.

Which makes me think it is another glitch.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Obviously, only to people who USE their platform ...........