cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another horror story.

The Samsung Galaxy S21+ that I had someone allegedly "buy", became the worst experience here, ever. Since 2007, I have done 100% (which from all accounts doesn't mean anything and hasn't for quite some time), always treating the buyer with respect and honesty. This phone was immaculate. Only a few months old. It sold cheaply at $453 before shipping. Naturally, they took $67 and eventually sent me the remaining $396 to my bank 5 full days later. That is the way it works here now. Money received from buyers will sit in interest bearing accounts for as long as they deem necessary, but I digress. The buyer claimed that I sent the wrong item. An impossible claim for several reasons. To tighten up the story, I accepted to have the "item" returned, curious to see what this human debris would do. He sent empty ink jet cartridges. The powers that be here when I protested vehemently sent the following brief note:

Here's the case outcome

After reviewing your appeal, we won't be able to change the outcome of the case, unfortunately.

We kept the original outcome because we received valid proof that the item was returned to you.

--Valid proof, members. Valid proof. So what is the point I am making? If you send a package with tracking and the listed item sold is in the package, as a seller this is not "valid proof" when a dishonest member claims to have not been sent the correct listed item. 
Now, when I call the buyer out and agree to have the item returned for a refund, he sends expired ink cartridges and by simply having the tracking number uploaded...that is enough for the so-called deciders to determine it as "valid proof". Nobody from here however stood at my kitchen counter and opened the box with me, which technically constitutes valid proof.

Moral to the story? There isn't one. It is just one more example of how deeply flawed the archaic infrastructure that is this platform, is. Oh, and if you plan on listing items like this, be prepared to have zero safeguards in your corner. Be prepared to in essence, give your item away for free, because you are a seller. Your rights are 100% non existent. 

The platform is a haven for those who spend their days looking for ways to violate sellers, and there is no hope for a fair business model to ever become a reality here.

I predict and hope for the best thing to happen here eventually.

Total collapse and irrelevance. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Another horror story.

@book_of_rules 

< I accepted to have the "item" returned ... He sent empty ink jet cartridges >    

The stupidity of some people astounds me.  The buyer pulls a stunt like this on somebody who has his address!  One of these days he's going to steal from the wrong person ... let's hope it's soon.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Another horror story.

This is, indeed, a sad story and one that is being repeated over and over as of late.

As a new seller, one of the best pieces of advice I learned in this particular forum has been: Never sell anything you would hate to lose money on. 

High price items like cell phones and expensive jewelry are best sold through friends or local venues where you have some control. Here, you just never know who you're sending your item to and there is no recourse in a "he said / she said" situation no matter how dishonest the buyer is or how honest the seller is. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. 🙁

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

Thank you.

Just taking the time to write out something like that makes the world a better place. Many have lost their way. Many never had a way.

Keep being a good person. There's a shortage of those like you in the world.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@alltheprettylittlethings   It is sad indeed and something that really needs to be addressed. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@book_of_rules 

Wow what a mess and this so called buyer left you a neg stating your the one who sent the empty cartridges!

I would file a police report in that buyers town, do it all online.

Then I would call Samsung and report this phone stolen and give them the Imei code, the buyer will need to enter it to activate phone. Samsung can trace phone but I don't know if they have the capability to brick it like Apple.

You can always file a small claim in buyers home town and you can do this online as well.

Just a few suggestions for you to chew on, very sorry you have to go thru this mess.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@ckimodog wrote:

It is sad indeed and something that really needs to be addressed. 

Apparently so - you would think there would be an on-going development in solving this issue of sending back broken and/or the wrong item and filing INAD cases falsely as these cases seem to be increasing. This "the customer is always right" thing is being taken a little too far.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

Then I would call Samsung and report this phone stolen and give them the Imei code, the buyer will need to enter it to activate phone. Samsung can trace phone but I don't know if they have the capability to brick it like Apple.

They can.  Found out the hard way getting scammed on here for a cell phone.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@2013grotz 

Samsung can brick it then?

Good to know, I have one and love it.

What happened in your case?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@book_of_rules 

< I accepted to have the "item" returned ... He sent empty ink jet cartridges >    

The stupidity of some people astounds me.  The buyer pulls a stunt like this on somebody who has his address!  One of these days he's going to steal from the wrong person ... let's hope it's soon.  

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

Samsung can brick it then?

They can't render it completely inoperable, but make it pretty useless.  I gathered there's a "stolen IMEI" database that is maintained and the cell phones consult.  Basically there's a lot of annoying nag and all you can really do is anything local.  But yeah there's a registration service and what not you can contact if your phone was stolen or lost.

What happened in your case?

Bought cell phone on ebay which was later claimed to be reported stolen.  Claim happened to be made exactly one day after ebay's return channels expire (interesting, hmmm?).  Holding onto it, but tried to research a lot on what to do from there and didn't find any real good answers.  Ended up buying another cell phone from an actual reputable brick and mortar outlet.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

@book_of_rules So sorry this happened to you.

Like some suggested, you can go to the authorities. In particular i would report this incident to the USPS Postal Inspectors who investigate crimes using the mails to defraud. What your buyer did was a federal offense.

In addition, report this to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at ic3.gov (can be done online).

Ideally, the purpose of doing all this is two-fold. First, you would save copies of these reports and case numbers, and then use them for your appeal to eBay. They prove you are taking the theft very seriously indeed, to show eBay your resolve. Because if you are willing to report this, tho it may not be incontrovertible proof a crime was committed, it certainly bolsters your claim of fraud. Sadly, i see you have already appealed. 

Second, these reports may not help get your money back, but they will serve to call attention to the scammer, who all want to fly below the radar. You can deprive them of that by getting their name on the authorities’ radar. Don’t forget to report this user to eBay as well for misusing the returns process and the Money Back Guarantee.

Wish you much smoother sailing ahead on the eBay seas, going forward.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

It's horrible that this happens.

But what else should eBay do? What else can eBay do?

If the seller says one thing and the buyer another, what's the answer here?

If they always believed the seller, then buyers would be in here complaining about the exact same thing.

I don't know the answer. EBay's answer is to side with the buyer based on a small bit of evidence.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

Would you post the buyer's comments, if any, from the Message Center/Resolution Center when the case was filed?

Does it say 'phone is broken' or 'ink jet cartridges are empty'?

When a buyer's comments did not make sense, I contacted them and convinced them that they had mistakenly clicked on my transaction instead of the intended one above or below mine on their Purchase History page. They cancelled the case and I was never charged for the label. It is too late for you, but something other sellers can try in the future.

We regularly read sellers on this discussion board stating that they mistakenly switched labels on two packages. They ask for advice on how to get these packages to the correct buyers. There is a remote possibility that your buyer switched labels when shipping two returns. Not sure how willing the buyer would be to fix this.

I don't want to instill a false sense of hope, you are unlikely to get your money back. Sorry for your loss.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

Hi @book_of_rules   Did you appeal?  It sounds like you accepted the automated resolution that was not reviewed by humans.  If the buyer provided tracking that showed delivered to you, then the program is going to uphold the return.  Review by eBay staff might get a different outcome.  If the Appeal option is available, use it.  If you've waited too long, you can ask for review by eBay staff though Facebook.  Use the Message link and include your name, user ID, and a brief description of your problem, such as Buyer returned wrong item.  Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/ebay

tenbigdogs_0-1646893173982.png

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Another horror story.

Thank you for your input.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply