cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And here's why I will stop selling on Ebay............AGAIN!

Just a short rant.  I started selling on Ebay in 1998 when thing were very simple and low tech.  I am an individual who sold vintage and collectable items that I would find at yard sales and thrift stores.  Those times were great and I did very well and I'd like to think I made a lot of buyers happy.  I accumulated over  3500 feedback ratings and 100% positive since 1998 just selling individual items from my own home.  I'm not a business!   I stopped selling several years ago because Ebay was just getting absolutely crazy with the guidelines and making it very difficult to conduct auctions/sales on a personal level like it used to be.  eBay became very buyer oriented.  I recently decided to list two items I had at home (auction).  Both sold and 'low and behold' both buyers are now requesting Return/Refund.  One person has accepted a partial refund.  All a seller has to say to eBay is that the item was not as described and my hands are absolutely tied - I've got to refund AND pay for return shipping.  It is just not possible to sell items as an individual in the manner that I do anymore.  How can I possible anticipate any tiny spec, perceived color variation, wrinkle, etc. that a buyer will report as 'item not as described' because they have buyers remorse and just don't want the item anymore.  Darn people, it you want off-the shelf, brand new, retail store items, then go to the store and get it!!    Once again.  I'm DONE with eBay as a seller.  Just not worth one woman's effort who is doing it as a side gig to earn some pocket money.  eBay is no longer a selling venue for people like me.  

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

So how is this eBays fault again? 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@craft-stash wrote:

What about a bunch of stuff just lying About my property from my Ancestors from the last 70 years 3 generations that I just want to sell.

Now I'm a business...Rediculos!

Yes, you are a business.  You went into the business of selling your property, instead of leaving it sit where found, giving it away to individuals, donating it, tossing it into a dumpster, or disposing of it via a glorious bonfire.

The source of the inventory does not matter.  You are in the business of selling it.

-

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@gigagirl wrote:

... I am an individual who sold vintage and collectable items that I would find at yard sales and thrift stores....  I accumulated over  3500 feedback ratings and 100% positive since 1998 just selling individual items from my own home.  I'm not a business!  

Of course, you are a business.  You seek out inventory to sell, and you sell it.  To have accumulated 3500 feedbacks, you sold a heck of a lot, too, for which I congratulate you.  

You were in business in 1998 and you are in business now.  The difference is that business and business practices, especially in e-commerce, have changed considerably in the past 20 years.  If, after careful consideration, you decide that the changes mean it's no longer worth your while to be in business, you would not be alone.

-

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

What about a bunch of stuff just lying About my property from my Ancestors from the last 70 years 3 generations that I just want to sell.

Now I'm a business...Rediculos!

If I had as much stuff "just lying around" as you have sold since you have been on eBay I believe I would have had one giant garage or estate sale rather than listing it on eBay and taking 20+ years to sell it.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I,I,I, Capt!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Oh ok....not!

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I have been selling for almost 20 years, and most of my items were glass pottery and old vintage items. I provide the most accurate description with the best pictures, and I have received the most satisfied clientele with the best feedback. Now customers could just wait 15 to 20 days after receiving the item, and claim the item is not as described. The lady said there was a flaw in the glass basket handle, the fused applied handle appeared like it was broken repaired, or damaged, yet to her observation, and also looked like a factory flaw since the basket is made out of glass from the early 1900s. She negotiated it from $100 down to $20, she demanded that I refund her partial of the money and that she keep the basket. I refused and I told her to send the basket back. EBay gave her the full $20 and charged me the shipping cost against me. I took the same basket to an antique shop at a credible appraiser, they wrote the statement there was no Factory flaw there was no crack and there was no repair it was simply a bubble in the glass that looked awkward in the reflection of a light. This is ridiculous that the buyer has the right to use and abuse the system and disrespect the seller by The Audacity Of calling them a liar and having the right to post negative feedback, plus receive their money back in full including shipping! Wow! This is eBay this is the way to make money? Me and scrutinized after all my experience in years of antiques and the best accuracy with the best photo imaging? EBay expects me to donate my stuff online and pay for shipping. Plus have eBay charged me all their additional fees? This is worse than Goodwill, Goodwill used to sell hundreds and hundreds of used items, now I'm going to Goodwill and 75% are brand new items sitting at the front while the old unwanted stuff is way at the back overpriced! There is just no market for it the small-time seller! Too many price comparisons to many online services too many technology methods to cheat the seller and get the money back in favor of the buyer! I was not born to give away my life's hard work money, experience, and expertise plus the knowledge of the value of these items simply because they want it for free! Go somewhere else to sell it or just donate it or keep it it's much more economical than putting it in storage units, or giving it to eBay and paying them additional money to sell your stuff for their profit, not yours!

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@astroprime 

6 month old thread friends.  OP is no longer.

Good idea to start your own thread to get the help & advice you need.  

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply