cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I obligated to do combined shipping?

I have a buyer that won two separate listings and requested combined shipping. What are the rules regarding this? I personally don't want to do it, can I refuse?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

@bigbluesky555 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The items in question are a couple swim trunks my little guy doesn't wear anymore. They ended up selling for around $2.50 each. Shipping on each item is $3.50.  Because I consider these low dollar items I may give a dollar back, but that's it. Because eBay fees are also applied to shipping right?

Combined shipping is customary and expected. 

Sellers who are seen as "profiting" from excess shipping are not very well-regarded. 

Just remember that unhappy buyers have the power to inflict damage on sellers. 

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

Actually you can collect full shipping on both items and still ship them in the same package.  But that really ticks buyers off.  They don't understand that sometimes doubling the weight can also double the cost of the postage......   But in your case $3.50 is retail postage for up to 4 oz.  Double the weight and it increases the cost to just $3.75.  Only a quarter!   Why not charge them half off the shipping for the second item and send them an invoice for $5.25 combined shipping?  This way they save $1.75 and you save, too.  It would actually be more money in your pocket to give half off on the second item and ship them together than for you to collect full shipping and pay usps for two packages.   It's a win win for both of you for you if you ship together and discount the shipping a little.  

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

As I pride myself on being an honest seller, I always combine for the stuff that I sell.

My listings clearly state - Where you buy multiple items DO NOT pay immediately, wait for a revised invoice.

In instances where this is disregarded and the customer pays double, I message them and advise that it is difficult to refund, however, I will offer additional goods to make it 'square'.

It is always well received and appreciated.

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

To me, that is a demand, as the seller had every right to not combine, and I didn't think a negative for that was reasonable, since the buyer agreed to the shipping price when they decided to purchase. 

Would you apply this analysis to any requested courtesy?

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:
Curious, when you send your DVD's out as letter rate, are they in a padded mailer (bubble?). The post office here rejects bubble mailers that go out letter rate and sends them back for additional postage.

If not bubble mailers, how do the DVD's not get damaged?

There is a long standing precedent for the statistical safety of sending a disc through the mail in a letter envelope.  That precedent is called Netflix.  Before I switched to streaming only, I could count on one hand the number of broken discs I'd received.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 50 of 55
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@lovefindingtreasures2 wrote:
Curious, when you send your DVD's out as letter rate, are they in a padded mailer (bubble?). The post office here rejects bubble mailers that go out letter rate and sends them back for additional postage.

If not bubble mailers, how do the DVD's not get damaged?

There is a long standing precedent for the statistical safety of sending a disc through the mail in a letter envelope.  That precedent is called Netflix.  Before I switched to streaming only, I could count on one hand the number of broken discs I'd received.

It has always surprised me that their loss rate is so low. But there it is.

They have lost more from that one postal employee who stole thousands of DVDs from them than from breakage.dizzy_face

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

While the OP would be within her rights to not combine, price wise, it would be a mistake to send the two items together and keep the price difference.  

That could also result in negative feedback from the buyer who will feel betrayed.

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

@bigbluesky555 wrote:

I never stated that I would send both items in one package, it would be two separate ones.

I understand. Just mentioned that in case you had plans of that.  No offense to you, but some would do that.  I didn't want you to get bad feedback in that event, that's all!Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@bigbluesky555 wrote:

I never stated that I would send both items in one package, it would be two separate ones.

No, you do not have to combine the shipping, but I'm curious as to why you are willing to refund some money to the buyer but still want to ship them separately.  That seems strange since it will cost you more money to ship that way.

Maybe the OP just feels safer with two separate shipping situations?

I don't know.

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

To me, that is a demand, as the seller had every right to not combine, and I didn't think a negative for that was reasonable, since the buyer agreed to the shipping price when they decided to purchase. 

Would you apply this analysis to any requested courtesy?

If it came before purchase, no.  When it comes after purchase, and it should have been broached before the purchase, and negative feedback is threatened (which this buyer did not state but other posters did), then it seems like a demand to me.  Maybe that is too strong a word, but it seems to me that retribution for something that was not accepted before buying and was not guaranteed before purchase seems to be putting the seller over a barrel, and I wouldn't do that.  It has been customary to ask a buyer to ask questions before buying.  

Of course, your (and others) interpretations may be different.  We can agree to disagree.

In any case, as I said, asking post sale seems to me to suggest that the buyer feels it is their right and that they have the seller over a barrel~it isn't allowing for the seller's right to decline the request if they feel a need to.  That's all.

I am very respectful of seller's rights, and fairness, and I am a considerate buyer.  That is what is driving my opinion.

Message 55 of 55
latest reply