cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

I sold two items to a guy who apparently lives in Mexico but right over the US border enough so that he has friends in San Diego who he has his stuff sent to. He contacted me after buying and said he might have a change of address where to send it. I said my policy was stated on my auctions: I only ship to the address associated with your payment method. He said he would work it out but it might take a few days and I was ok with that. He contacted me again and said it was ok to ship. The item did go to San Diego. This was almost a month ago. This last weekend I received the package back as unclaimed.  Messaged him and asked if I should I refund him or try to resend. No answer. Should I just refund him and relist, and he can buy again if he’s still interested?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Advice please

Should I just refund him and relist, and he can buy again if he’s still interested?

@pepper1202 

I think yours is a fine idea... you'll have to have an order with the correct address anyway. Good choice, good luck.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@pepper1202 wrote:

This last weekend I received the package back as unclaimed.  Messaged him and asked if I should I refund him or try to resend. No answer. Should I just refund him and relist, and he can buy again if he’s still interested?

Refund him, less the cost of shipping (unless you offered Free Shipping in the listing), and put him on your Blocked Buyer List. There's no point in rehashing all that nonsense again.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Wait for an email from the buyer. Packaged unclaimed or refused?

Check to see if buyer is still registered on eBay.

Google the address to where package went? Is it a house or?

I average about 2 undeliverable pieces of mail a week. I goggle one address the other day and it was just a piece of lot with nothing but grass growing and it was for sale.LOL.

Wait for a response from buyer.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@pepper1202 

When I get something back in a situation like that I refund, and message the buyer. YMMV

As the buyer has caused me undue stress and financial harm they also are added to my BBL to preclude a repeat performance YMMV.

When they are added to the BBL, per eBay policy, all communication from the buyer ceases.  The buyer can message, but messages will not be received.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Hello!

At this point, just wait for his reply, and you can send him few more messages.

I suggest kip the item and money until he is responded.

Why should you do that?

The buyer and You have 60 days from the date of purchase to leave feedback and eBay never extends this timeframe.

Been on eBay almost 30 years, trained me.

Let play couple of examples:

1 You do exactly what you stated you will do, and refund money to buyer now.

Let say he come back with in 60 days and will nail you feedback for you not to ship item, it is dosn't matter if you shipped or not, he did not received.

2 In another hand, witch is I considering more safe plan, is to kip item, not resell, and not refund until 60 days feedback window is past, then you can protect yourself by at lease for sure not receiving feedback, you can do now what ever you prefer, you an refund money to the buyer, or you can kip the funds, no body know what happen to human - life is full of circumstances. 

3 You can cancel transaction now, you will receive final fee back, and funds will be credited back the the buyer - BUT You will lose money that you paid for shipping!

I would choice number 2.  refund at the end of 60 days time, and prior that do math, and calculation, how much fee's you spend on this transaction, including shipping

Hope this will help - please visit my YouTube channel @Goasfarasyoucansee & say Thank you 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

And that is what I said

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@selforfun 

You cannot post personal contact info on this forum.  FYI.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Basically eBay's policy is that Undeliverable shipments do not require refunds.

Ethically, you should probably refund the purchase price (but not shipping or fees) but eBay will not force you if it comes to a Claim.

Just provide the tracking number to show what happened.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

I once had an item returned to me from the UK.   The individual that purchased it passed on.  The stamp on the package stated, "deceased." 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Wait for an email from the buyer. Packaged unclaimed or refused?

Check to see if buyer is still registered on eBay.

Google the address to where package went? Is it a house or?

I average about 2 undeliverable pieces of mail a week. I goggle one address the other day and it was just a piece of lot with nothing but grass growing and it was for sale.LOL.

Wait for a response from buyer.

Just as an aside. That is not always accurate. Google shows a front and satellite picture of my house. I can tell the old age of that picture by the tree in the yard (blown down 10 years ago in a windstorm) and the car in the driveway (I no longer own).

I had a similar “vacant lot” Google search result some time ago. Another old picture of a neighborhood that is now fully developed and occupied.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Hi, OP here. Thanks for all your input. While researching this topic online, I did come up with a few cases where it seems like the buyer refused the item (or made it undeliverable) and then opened a case with eBay. The long story short of it was that the buyer got refunded in total and also got the item, and the seller was out of luck. While I don’t think that’s the case here, I’m wondering if that’s possible.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Well, that's Henderson which was just a big old desert decades ago.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

a few cases where it seems like the buyer refused the item (or made it undeliverable) and then opened a case with eBay.

Unless the seller responds to the Claim with the tracking number showing that it was Undeliverable (or refused) eBay will go with the buyer.

Or eBay may refuse the buyer, who then goes to a chargeback, where the seller is at more risk.

Which is why the seller must respond promptly with information eBay probably already has, both to an eBay claim and to a chargeback claim.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Put them on your blocked bidder list too.  Only refund the item, not the shipping.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply