cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on suing buyer in small claims court for being refunded and not returning the item

I recently sold a laptop without a battery to a buyer. The buyer received the item and wanted to return it because "it doesn't charge". I declined as this was stated in the listing. The buyer subsequently filed a claim "not as described" and won (?) and my appeal was denied (??). The buyer was automatically refunded and has not returned the item.

I live in Connecticut and the buyer lives in New Jersey. This is close enough that I don't mind going through the motions to sue in in small claims court and would otherwise like to learn more about the process first-hand even if it does not result in getting my money back in the end.

From what I've read, Connecticut has no jurisdiction over the buyer because they are out of state and I must file claim in New Jersey. The buyer's state says that a theft of "more than $200 and up to $500" is considered a fourth-degree felony offense. Sounds pretty clear.

I have reached out to the seller both via eBay messages and by phone. They have expressed no desire to return the item despite receiving a pre-paid return label.

I have the buyer's name, address, phone number, and place of business/work. I am keeping record of conversations and dates.

As a first order of business I believe that I should file a criminal complain with my local PD and to have it forwarded to the buyer's local PD and proceed from there.

Considering that the transaction may also be considered criminal (including misrepresentation and fraud), is small claims the right place to file?

I would appreciate any further advice on how I should proceed.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Advice on suing buyer in small claims court for being refunded and not returning the item

They can take your money and close the case. They did this exact thing to me. Exact same thing. I had proof the item was as I listed it, but they closed the case after they told me to wait, and they gave the person their money back. They told me they were looking into it and to wait to close it, so I waited. They returned the money to her. Now, she won’t return the item and she’s ignoring my emails. She has 120.00 and the item she bought for me. 

Message 91 of 93
latest reply

Re: Advice on suing buyer in small claims court for being refunded and not returning the item

As a seller, I won a bogus "not as described" case. After you get the buyer to document exactly what was not as described, call ebay for advice before you give the buyer your decision. That way ebay is in the loop.

Message 92 of 93
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 93 of 93
latest reply