cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertising your own website on ebay?

This seller is selling 30+ items a day with an inventory of 1200. This seller gets contestant sales day and night, BUY IT NOW is fully on and working full blast 24/7, weekends, holidays, overnight hours it does not matter this seller is always selling.

400 + sales a month with only 1200 items up on ebay, his inventory levels never change and they in an extremely competitive category.

NOW MY QUESTION TO EBAY STAFF READING THIS (WE KNOW YOUR HERE) OR ANY POSTER WHO CARES TO SHINE IN ON THIS, WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE THEIR WEBSITE ON EVERY LISTING PAGE AND IN THEIR STORE HEADER IN HUGE LETTERS?

listing page

LISTING.JPG

Store page

STORE HEADER.JPG

Isn't this 100% against ebay TOS rules or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Why is this seller allowed to use their website URL on every listing and can still consistently list and sell at that absurd SELL-THROUGH-RATE while other sellers on ebay and on these message boards are making 1 sale a day (if they are lucky) with double and triple his inventory with better prices and feedback and have been here selling much longer.

what is going on here?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I've noticed some of the higher volume sellers have a different set of rules with certain things. A few other big sellers come to mind. They are allowed to advertise their site it seems. Idk maybe someone who else a high volume seller will weigh in on this. 

They have a special program I should have said. Like they can show their own personal brand in the search results also.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@we_buy_2_much wrote:

WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE THEIR WEBSITE ON EVERY LISTING PAGE AND IN THEIR STORE HEADER IN HUGE LETTERS?

I think part of it may be that their website name is displayed as a graphic image, rather than actual text ending in ".com" which would be a lot easier for bots to detect.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Are you sure it is a website as it does not come up on google

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

yes it does come up in google.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

That's not allowed.  The ebay bots do not catch it because it's a graphic the sneaky petes!  

The more people who report this voilation the sooner it will be corrected.

Go to the listing then just above the description box on the right hand side use the report item link.  

Select  Listing practices >  links, logos and videos>  web address included in store name.  

I did two.... NEXT 🙂  

I am a community help volunteer and not an E bay employee.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That's not allowed. 

Sure it is...  special sellers, special contracts, etc. It is just NOT ALLOWED for regular sellers unless you move to China.   Have a happy ebay day! 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

That's not allowed. 

Sure it is...  special sellers, special contracts, etc. It is just NOT ALLOWED for regular sellers unless you move to China.   Have a happy ebay day! 

Even though it gets beaten into us every week that all sellers are treated equally ............

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

That's not allowed. 

Even though it gets beaten into us every week that all sellers are treated equally ............

Actually, it gets beaten into us every year.  But it's been a lie for some 9 years now. 

I have no idea why they keep trying to perpetuate this myth,  If you just read the UA it says otherwise, plain as day!  Including provisions that say the who, when, and how any enforcement of any of the TOS is at eBay's sole discretion and they reserve the right to make exceptions.  Continuing to make suggestions that isn't the case... I just don't get it...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

who, when, and how any enforcement of any of the TOS is at eBay's sole discretion and they reserve the right to make exceptions.  

You are correct. However, including the forbidden information in the form of a jpg file will work.  We all need to understand that while previously "communication" was a best selling practice, it is now abhored by the market place.   Sellers need to learn how to get on the "exceptions" list.  LOL 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:
Even though it gets beaten into us every week that all sellers are treated equally

Every day when I open the Seller Hub, I am reminded that Top Rated Sellers are treated differently regarding fees and Best Match placement. 

Every time I look at eBay's Best Practices page, I am reminded that sellers who offer free shipping and returns are treated differently with respect to Best Match placement. 

Every time I read this board, I see a post reminding me that new sellers are treated differently than establish sellers with respect to listing limits, category limits, and paypal holds. 

Whenever I read about programs like the eBay collective or curated collections, I am reminded that large sellers are treated differently than smaller sellers. 

Can you give us an example of where eBay says that all sellers are treated equally? 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

George Orwell explained it all perfectly in Animal Farm

"All of us are equal, it's just that some of us are more equal then others".

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It may also depend on when they joined eBay.

Very early on, when few businesses had their own sites, eBay allowed members to use site URLs as names.

Those members are grandfathered and are allowed to continue to use the dotCOM name.

It is also worth mentioning that those sellers who are getting special treatment and privileges are (probably) also paying for those privileges.

Just as Anchor Stores have lower listing fees and FVF than non-store or Basic Store sellers, but pay $250 a month every month for those privileges.

Not saying it isn't cheaper for them in the long run, just saying that probably any one of us could get those privileges if we were willing (and able ) to pay for them.

I won't count into those purchasable benefits the low shipping rates China Post gives exporters. That has nothing to do with eBay and a lot to do with the Chinese government.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

"This seller gets contestant sales day and night, BUY IT NOW is fully on and working full blast 24/7, weekends, holidays, overnight hours it does not matter this seller is always selling."

What are contestant sales?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

d-k_treasures wrote:
Even though it gets beaten into us every week that all sellers are treated equally...

luckythewinner wrote:

Can you give us an example of where eBay says that all sellers are treated equally? 

I believe the comment to which you replied suggests the eBay personel conducting the Weekly Chat have been asserting this quite forcefully and frequently.  At least that's what I see when I read it. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply