cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account being slowly destroyed by illegitimate returns...

So there was a month where it was pretty quiet on the "**bleep** returns" front.  I've posted prior threads articulating some of the atrocities that were happening recently.  Welp, back to the downward-spiral.

Recently sold a hard case for a guitar which I clearly state is for specific models of short-scale guitars.  Someone wants to return it because, "it is very short and doesn't fit my bass".  No where is it stated it is for bass.  The header clearly notates guitar models and the body clearly notates it's for guitar.  

If it was two years ago, I would have this cleared out quickly.  But now, the "we want to gut you" policies eBay has... this will end up costing me $50.  

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

If it was two years ago, I would have this cleared out quickly.  But now, the "we want to gut you" policies eBay has...

What eBay wants is for buyers to receive what they are expecting - preferably on the first try.  And if that fails, eBay wants sellers to take care of buyers and leave eBay out of it.  The "old system" of letting sellers habitually talk their way out of SNAD claims didn't achieve either of those goals.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 56
latest reply

You are corrrect about no personal responsibilty.  EBAY makes it so easy for buyers to return items. Nothing you put in your listing will be used to prevent a return. Ebay penalizes sellers for returns, and paypal keeps payment/refund processing fees for cancelations and refunds.

I think that if a seller receivs the item back, re-sells it with positive results to the next buyer, seller defects should be removed(if imposed), and return shipping should be refunded to the seller.  I have done this several times, and it just frosts me that EBAY sits on the sidelines, and does nothing. Sometimes, I think about raising my prices to cover these losses, however, if I want to remain competitive, this is not always an option for items I sell.

I am thinking about other options other than EBAY.  Forced returns with return shipping plus slow to no traffic/sales, just doesn't justify the efforts put into selling here.

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

Michael - I would put measurements in every listing as we know some people aren't aware of what they actually have. That way they could measure their instrument and see it wouldn't fit.

A responsible buyer would contact seller for any information needed that may be lacking within a listing before making a commitment to buy and thereby avoid inconvenience and costs associated with making a return.  

Ed, while that is true, many buyers just hit the back button if all the info needed to make an informed buying decision is not in the listing, especially if they experienced lenghty delays in getting that info in the past, or were given incorrect info.

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@michael_atw wrote:

I've posted prior threads articulating some of the atrocities that were happening recently. 

Yes, you have. Thanks for keeping us posted on every return request you receive.

@michael_atw

And may I add that I imagine I speak for more than just myself when I say we're looking forward to the next thread you post about an illegitimate return request. Or a false SNAD. Or an unreasonable buyer.

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

If you accept returns then it is for any reason which means there is no such thing as illegitimate returns. 

The questions is who pays return shipping?  It does sounds like a buyer issue and not yours, but as already explained to you.  Without sizes you can not really hold any ground as it relates to eBay.

• You are assuming the buyer is actually a guitar player 
  • they may easily be a parent, relative or friend buying a gift.
  • Nowhere is it stated it is not for Bass guitars 

The one thing that is sort of self teaching for these buyers who make mistakes and do not want to pay return shipping: is that they have to actually follow through with the return request in a timely manner to get there refund or get the request closed out against them.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

I don't provide a single dimension for the same reason 98% of eBayers don't measure their items.  It is redundant and irrelevant when you provide models and types.  That is not the issue. 

OK, well, your listing specifically said it "will fit other short scales", so that means that if I have a short scale, then it is a universal fit.

Again, I'm no expert, but I can't believe that it would fit every short scale ever produced.  Thus, without more information, the buyer can only hope.

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

Michael - I would put measurements in every listing as we know some people aren't aware of what they actually have. That way they could measure their instrument and see it wouldn't fit.

A responsible buyer would contact seller for any information needed that may be lacking within a listing before making a commitment to buy and thereby avoid inconvenience and costs associated with making a return.  

That's not how it works on eBay.  The responsibility for clarity and completeness of a listing is 100% on the shoulders of a seller ... if there is any inconsistency, it costs the buyer absolutely nothing.

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

With that being said, we are all well-aware that I could put measurements down to the mm and it would make no difference in return requests in 2018. michael -atw - op --- unquote ----------------

Well, at least not for the sneeky dishonest buyers  who just want to borrow our stuff for 30 days in 2018  . This new free returns policy is pitiful and I think it will get even more pitiful depending on the peticulars of what is being sold . I guess the only few  things we can do to prevent some of them is to put as much information as possible  about the item for sale   as well as several  good clear up close photo's  in the listings . However as its been mentioned nothing can be done to stop  the '' renters '' . They will find fault  no matter what . Too bad sellers can no longer  include a restocking fee . I realize restocking fees are somewhat unfair  for  legitimate returns . However many things in life aren't fair  ,, like this new returns policy as an example . Tulips 

Message 24 of 56
latest reply

No.  Personal. Responsibility.  It's dead in the USA - and it's shameful.  

Personal Responsibility is a great thing for everybody else to have. 

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

A guitar and a bass guitar are 2 different things.  Like a car and an SUV are 2 different things.  Similar, and both are often referred to as "Cars", but obviously not the same.  If the listing specifically says that it does not fit a bass, I would have to agree with this seller.  If you state in the title that it is "Not for" this or that, then eBay kills your listing and warns you for keyword spamming. 

WIth that being said, accurate measurements might help, but they might not.  This particular buyer obviously did not read the listing, or he would have known that his bass would not fit.  Measurements don't help if a buyer does not bother reading the description, as is the case with MANY buyers.  To cut down on future issues, measurements are a good idea.

Nonetheless, buyers who are too lazy to read the information that is clearly provided need to be held accountable.

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

The seller for creating incomplete ads

I repeat - again... if you didn't read:  The models and types of items that fit in the case are clearly listed multiple times. 

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:
As is    

A used item

No returns

No refunds

USPS delivery. Packed securely in a box.

If there are any questions, just ask.

_________

It can't be any clearer than that. (I rarely sell new stuff, or anything that has a powered or moving part)

Absolutely nothing there that would preclude getting a return/refund.

Any item with that description is 100% returnable.

Sort of like the sellers that say the photos are the descriptionsee_no_evil

Message 28 of 56
latest reply

If you accept returns then it is for any reason which means there is no such thing as illegitimate returns. 

False.  Ebay has categories of returns for a reason.  If that was the case, then they would not ask the buyer to provide why they are returning. 

Message 29 of 56
latest reply

Personal Responsibility is a great thing for everybody else to have. 

I intentionally post about this stuff to see how many people lodge ad hominem swipes for literally no reason.  Here is a perfect example.  

You're free to explain how I don't have personal responsibility - I look forward to whatever LOGICAL post you bring. 

Message 30 of 56
latest reply