cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental refund

I recently sold a brand new sealed video game that was worth $25. The buyer received the item but told me the disc was loose and wanted to return the item. I then got a message from EBay asking me to issue refund. I guess I didn’t realize what I was doing because I agreed to the refund but apparently that meant that the buyer could also keep the item. There was no warning at all in this regard. 
I spent an hour chatting with customer service. They were helpful and issued the $25 refund. But what was interesting was that I was told this happens to 1 in 50 returns. That is an incredible number when you think how many customers EBay has. I think there are scammers who bank on new sellers making this mistake and getting a free item.  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Accidental refund

@avonjames wrote:

I think there are scammers who bank on new sellers making this mistake and getting a free item.  

This, right here says it all. You are welcome. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

@avonjames wrote:

I think there are scammers who bank on new sellers making this mistake and getting a free item.  

Seriously?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

@avonjames wrote:

I recently sold a brand new sealed video game that was worth $25. The buyer received the item but told me the disc was loose and wanted to return the item. I then got a message from EBay asking me to issue refund. I guess I didn’t realize what I was doing because I agreed to the refund but apparently that meant that the buyer could also keep the item. There was no warning at all in this regard. 
I spent an hour chatting with customer service. They were helpful and issued the $25 refund. But what was interesting was that I was told this happens to 1 in 50 returns. That is an incredible number when you think how many customers EBay has. I think there are scammers who bank on new sellers making this mistake and getting a free item.  

I'm not sure what this 'warning' was supposed to be, but there are very clear guidelines when it comes to returns and MBG (money back guarantee) - it's almost the only thing that's pretty well cut and dried around here.  

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

Did they ask you to issue a refund or accept the return?

"They were helpful and issued the $25 refund."  How is that helpful if you won't get the item back?

What happens to 1 in 50 returns? The customer can keep the item?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

gjs_16
Guide

Look, if you hand me money of your own free will...

Even if it is accidental, or I asked for a refund or you didn't mean to...

That does not make me a scammer.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

I looked at several of your listings and while several are posted as seller does not accept returns. A lot of new sellers fail to understand that not accepting returns does not mean no refunds if the buyer files a case. Some sellers choose this option because if the buyer files a SNAD claim the seller has to pay for the return postage which in some cases may only exasperate the loss further and do they really want to do that and get a damaged item, or something they cannot resell back?  They simply issue the refund and avoid having to pay the return postage. This is probably a viable option for low dollar items but the individual sellers have to decide where that breakpoint is. While there may be some scammer targeting they usually don't go after low value items they expend their efforts on high dollar, high target items like cell phones and electronics. 

While it may not be much compensation the losses on the transaction can taken as a tax write off when you file your returns. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

Allot of buyers/scammers will open return request with some silly reason banking on sellers to either refund the money (be it by mistake or not) or will play the card of escalating the case and get free item if seller does not respond. 

While it happens more than it should if its a valid reason for return buyer will return the item. Sellers have to be on lookout all the time not to miss these kind of things. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

When you get some thing for nothing is called theft in my book.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

eBay is only concerned about the buyer no concern for sellers and customer service is a complete joke. I am surprised the gave you the credit be careful in the future as I said they are all about buyers.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Accidental refund

@johnrj1226 wrote:

When you get some thing for nothing is called theft in my book.

This thread isn't about us.

One thing that needs to stop on these boards is the quarreling and bickering, please address the OP's concern and leave out differences of opinion.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply