cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTENTION! :Videos for listings

after june can I still  use you tube video on my listing and how so it fits in the new gidelines 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

ebay is removing active content at that date.  That would include videos, I believe.

You might want to check out the seller announcements or google eBay removing active content.

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@kev70s

Sometime in June (eBay has not been specific), eBay will turn off Active Content and that means your YouTube videos will no longer play.  eBay will not pull your listings or demote your listings for having dead YouTube code displaying a black window (at least not for many more months, or perhaps not until after the holidays, at which point they would simply block a relist).

Here is what I recommend for YouTube videos:

Keep using the Object code for YouTube as long as you can. You will still receive Active Content notices from eBay, but as long as you know the videos are your only active content, you can ignore the notices until your videos go dark.

eBay has revised their links policy to allow a clickable link to a YouTube video, so when the video goes dark, the clickable link puts the video just one click away.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

However, it is important to do this correctly. This tool is designed to provide code that works within eBay's policies. Additionally, this page will update the moment eBay gives us any new information about videos.

http://www.isdntek.com/tagbot/YouTubeConverter.htm

Your current video code is fine - it is nearly the same as provided by the tool and is eBay compliant, but the tool makes the video size flexible for mobile devices, so you may want to update.

The additional "Direct Link code" provided by the tool will open the video in a new empty window, by itself, without any other YouTube video distractions. So this is an approved link method.  If you include the link code when you relist, near the [unknown] June deadline, you will have that backup you need for your videos.

Alternatively, if you want to stop the Active Content notices and avoid a later revision to purge a dead video screen, you can start using the Direct Link code in your new listings right away.

At some point (we are hoping that will be soon), eBay will have a solution to the YouTube video problem.  Because the video will no longer display within the description, and because eBay will not be able to MAKE it display within the description, my guess is that eBay's solution will appear elsewhere on the listing page. When they come back with a solution, you can revise any remaining items to migrate to eBay's solution.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply