cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMZ -- $1K a share

Did everyone else hear this on the news this morning?  AMZ reaches all time high of $1K/Share.  Bezo's is second richest man, lonly below Gates.  His wealth went up $20 billion in one year alone.

It is time for eBay to recgonize they are not the same as AMZ and should stop trying to compete.  AMZ has a whole different business model and has totally revolutionized the way people shop.

Please eBay get back to the original business model that made you famous.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

AMZ -- $1K a share

@klassic*kids wrote:

It is time for eBay to recgonize they are not the same as AMZ and should stop trying to compete.  AMZ has a whole different business model and has totally revolutionized the way people shop.

I think eBay recognizes that they are not Amazon. IMHO it is the people who keep trying to compare the two that need to recognize this. 

Amazon has a bigger future and has the better business model. The long period where eBay was regularly kicking Amazon's behind in profits is finally over.  

Up until 2015, eBay was winning the Net Income race by a landslide. But in 2016, Amazon finally topped eBay and will probably continue to do so for the forseeable future. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

luckythewinner wrote: 

I think eBay recognizes that they are not Amazon. IMHO it is the people who keep trying to compare the two that need to recognize this. 

I emphatically agree with you on that.  I see the comparisons on this board constantly.  It's a little like comparing apples to oranges.  Hopefully that nonsense will stop.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

Amen to that.  

Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk are both visionaries and empire builders - profits have never needed to be an important factor to them as long as investors kept buying into the visions.    They have successfully built outside the original box.    Ebay has never been run by anyone of their ilk - nor have the vast majority of corporations.    

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

I think a lot of the things Ebay is requiring have to do with retaining buyers and credit card rules, nothing to do with Amazon. We don't have returns because of Amazon, we have returns because buyers want returns and because buyer protection laws want returns.

Many of the times people on the boards complain about Ebay trying to be Amazon, Ebay is just moving with the times and maintaining industry standards.

Since scammers hit the interwebs in force about 10 years ago, operating purchases on trust is no longer viable. Buyers are not going to send checks to some unknown person with no guarantee they will get their item or that it will be as described. That ship sailed a decade ago.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

I don't agree Ebay does not have visionaries or vision. They built an empire and built an entire industry around providing access to a huge pool of items people would never see otherwise.

Their problem is in the weeds and dealing with software and herding cats.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

Amazon shot up to about 100 before the dot com bust, after the bust you could have purchased it for about 7 bucks a share in 2000 or so..........

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/26/amazon-stocks-history-the-importance-of-patience.aspx

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

"Please eBay get back to the original business model that made you famous."

And what would that business model be?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

@z50com wrote:

Simply put, being a venue, not the managed marketplace IT is now.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

Two points:

1. This has nothing to do with selling here. There is no comparison between the two sites.

2. AMZ's main income producers are not their marketplace site. The biggest draw is their webhosting service which is what most of the investors are responding to. You can see that in the stock prices. There wasn't much of a rise before AMZ started disclosing financial figures for the webhosting and other ventures.

If there were to break into multiple companies and report financials and offer stock for the marketplace site separately, you would see something significantly different. It's been reportedg that they are taking serious losses on shipping and in other areas of the marketplace; losses that are being covered by those other ventures.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

I've been selling on eBay since 1998

It's still a venue, I don't feel "managed". . .

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

@z50com wrote:

@z50com The world's largest, best known, and reputable garage sale.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

I sell used items and it still feels like a garage sale to me!

Things have changed but the goal is the same, sell merchandise to those that want it.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

@tonycea wrote:

Amazon shot up to about 100 before the dot com bust, after the bust you could have purchased it for about 7 bucks a share in 2000 or so..........

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/26/amazon-stocks-history-the-importance-of-patience.asp

@tonycea I read Motley often, it's been quite helpful with my portfolio.  However, I never read this article.  WOW .. Imagine how much $ someone who bought in 2000 sees now. I bought books from them at the time, too bad I didn't think about investing in them .. not many could have predicted they'd be to $1K today.  If I was an investor I'd think about selling half of my holdings now, though I'm sure many will argue and say keep it all as a long hold.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

AMZ -- $1K a share

LOL, look at the home page, eBay is selling new merchandise, period end of story with their deals..........

Message 15 of 19
latest reply