cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI-Generated descriptions

Wonder how that experience will turn out? 

I won't know right away because I list using a desktop PC. Maybe people using the app can report what it's like.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: AI-Generated descriptions

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

I'm no Luddite, but I dislike the AI descriptions I've read so far. There's a sameness to them, and they all sound like bad movie trailers or television commercials. Too much added nonsense and needless puffery.

Maybe it's the future, but I would much rather buy from a seller who used their own mind and their own words to describe their own item.

Interestingly, the Luddites were not anti-technology, they were against indiscriminate and unthinking application of new technology. And they were right. In essence, we all need to be Luddites and skeptics.

And yes, there's a vapid sameness to most AI production. As I've said before, I can write my own rubbish - I'm not illiterate.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Welcome to the future, Mindless & senseless!

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Greetings,

I am wondering if, since the Master has provided us with an AI description that is so fast and simple to use (squawk), will it be given preferential listing treatment by Cassini? Right now, as some have said, I prefer my own shorter descriptions that have gotten me this far (20 years on eBay). However, if choosing the Master's provided descriptions will give me an edge - why not? Anyone know?

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

I can't see any buyer preferring a description that reads like a repetitious children's story, over a brief straight to the point one with just the necessary details.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@bbwcardsandcoins "I am wondering if, since the Master has provided us with an AI description that is so fast and simple to use (squawk), will it be given preferential listing treatment by Cassini?"

No.

Just my opinion. But no, I don't think the description, whether AI or seller generated, will matter. Title and Item Specifics are far more important for purposes of the search engine.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Wonder how that experience will turn out? "

LOL....as well as being a buyer and assuming sellers fill out the item details/category stuff properly. It...just...won't...work. And here's the thing, if it works 95% of the time, that 5% screw up will cause sellers or buyers to be so frustrated/skeptical they won't mess with it again...buyers either won't read the descriptions or sellers won't use the AI tool again.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

I had my first invitation today on a new listing today to let AI do the description. 

No thank you eBay!

I have the product in hand along will all the other items I have listed. I'm not a catalog / drop shipper. 

I take all my own photos. 

I list measurements and details.

I will provide a personal story or history on the item if it fits. 

I don't think AI can do that and never will. It may work for brand new current retail / catalog items, but that is about it.

I just have to ask why is AI being pushed so hard? I remember it was mid-April 2023 when it started, and the national & local news can't stop talking about it. 

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals "I just have to ask why is AI being pushed so hard?"

AI definitely will be transformative. This isn't just another NFT craze. It has applications across many fields. And it will ultimately have a major effect on the economy and our lives. (Remember when a lot of people said the Internet would never amount to anything, just a toy for the geeks to play with?)

On the other hand, AI for ebay descriptions is not very sophisticated and might never be (or it might improve, as has much AI elsewhere).

I don't feel ebay is really pushing it at present. It's available, sellers can try it, some are actually using it and liking it (usually after some editing). In its present iteration, it isn't something I am using...if it improves, maybe I will. 

But ebay is a major corporation and considers itself a tech corporation, so ebay needs to make sure investors know ebay is one of the cool kids, and is using AI and singing its praises.

ebay will find more and more ways to integrate it into the site, so we might as well get used to it. I'm expecting to see photo backgrounds made available , and ebay has also said they are working on virtual models for clothing sellers. 

One downside, in my opinion, is that while ebay chases after all the new AI whiz- bangery, ebay will continue to ignore retail and site basics...and all the AI in the world won't make up for that.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

This is just a very simplistic program! Not AI.  There is no intelligence, artificial or otherwise.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I just used in on my pc (windows). It worked fine for me. I'm only use it on any new items I am listing. Used items, I will still be using my own words. This will allow me to list everything about the item that a buyer might ask. Good Luck to everyone with all the new things ebay is changing & doing. I have just learn to adapt to it all. Happy Selling. Hope everyone has a very blessed holiday season!

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

I used a couple of harmless AI descriptions for clothes in the listings because they were kind of funny but did my own as well.  

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Looking at your feedback score and viewing your listings, none active, that must not be the truth or the listings have been removed.  Either way hard to believe what you typed. 

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@toyboxtreasuresandmore2024 

can you post a link to a sold listing that had an AI generated description. could only see pre-owned in your history or active

Message 30 of 37
latest reply