cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A high value sale

I'm on the fence about a sale a just had for a very rare collectible figure valued at $2500. 

The buyer, with 3 feedback, purchased it without even so much as a message regarding it. Which is fine, but the name listed on his account is different from the name on the mailing address. Again, not too worrisome. However, the account was made Oct 11th and he changed his user ID once already. 

I did notice that he has purchased and left feedback pertaining to the same type of collectible (Funko POP) he purchased from me.

I guess the part I am most worried about is the fact that when I check the address its listed as a public library. That strikes me as odd. Sure, he could work at the library and all the other concerns could just be a coincidence. However, this is for a very expensive order and i'm having reservations regarding this sale. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: A high value sale

@hartungcards  

I pick answer 2 and I’d expand on that by saying don’t sell expensive items online period. You posted a very good answer 

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Call The Library and say you want to confirm that  this person works there since the name is different. I would also look and try to find the individual on Linkedin to see of there is a reference that they work at the Library.   It could be legit. I once sold an Antique photograph to a Library.   Most Librarys don't have that kind of money $2500.    You may want to also call EBAY and walk them thru your concerns now so there is a record if this goes south. .  Sounds too risky with the changes to his account being so recent.    Lots of scammers out there. Good luck

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Public library: call em and ask if that person is there.  Ask them if they permit folks ordering in items to be signed for and shipped to them.

When you get the no answer you should:  cancel sale due to addy.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Just to update this, I did find the customer does work at the library. Not only that, he has worked there 18 years and I can find articles online with his photograph promoting classes he offers through his library. The library's website also lists his name and job description which matches his linkedin profile. Needless to say, I researched this customer extensively. I guess if my sales taper off, I can always try for an PI 😂

Another seller, just left feedback yesterday stating he also sold a $2K collectible (same type of toy) to this buyer and it went smoothly. That he, too, was leery of selling such an expensive item to a new buyer.

Hard to believe people in this day and age can drop upwards of 5K on toys in a single month. 

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Glad to hear this worked out well for you! Thank you for the update.  

Message 20 of 20
latest reply