cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A high value sale

I'm on the fence about a sale a just had for a very rare collectible figure valued at $2500. 

The buyer, with 3 feedback, purchased it without even so much as a message regarding it. Which is fine, but the name listed on his account is different from the name on the mailing address. Again, not too worrisome. However, the account was made Oct 11th and he changed his user ID once already. 

I did notice that he has purchased and left feedback pertaining to the same type of collectible (Funko POP) he purchased from me.

I guess the part I am most worried about is the fact that when I check the address its listed as a public library. That strikes me as odd. Sure, he could work at the library and all the other concerns could just be a coincidence. However, this is for a very expensive order and i'm having reservations regarding this sale. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: A high value sale

Bottom line, never sell an item you can't afford to lose.   

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

If that's the address they provided then ship it.    A lot of people use their work address for shipping to avoid the porch pirates, etc.   When I was working all my items were shipped to my work place.  No problems.

Happy Selling!

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Hi @simply_toyz 

I can think of a benign reason for each of the issues you mention.  The fact that the buyer has purchased a similar item in the past is a positive indicator.

The buyer may be having the item delivered to the public library as a 'safe place' ... but I think you can contact the buyer and verify that they intended to have it delivered to a library.   Don't sound suspicious when you ask ... but rather ask in a way that the buyer feels you are wanting to make sure that the item reaches them safely.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

When it comes to very expensive orders, you have two options:

1) Ship them to the address that eBay tells you to ship them to, or...

2) Don't sell very expensive items on eBay.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

That is exactly what I did about 10 min ago and now I await his response.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

That's true, but i'm just trying to be extra careful as this is a large amount of money. I have successfully mailed 2K orders before without concern. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Very true and to which I am well aware. I have been sitting on this item for a few years due to the fear of being scammed. I visit these forums enough to see all the scams happening every single day. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I received a reply from the buyer and as I had thought, they are having it mailed to their work for security. Just so happens that the name on the order does match a linkedin profile for the same person working at that same library. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Could be a friend or relative of the buyer that works at the library and has their packages shipped there.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

You should have never listed an item that expensive.  The buyer is probably legit but if it is a scam then you will lose most of your profit for the entire year.  Personally, I would not take that risk and explain that to the buyer, cancel the sale,  and then take the hit to your metrics on Ebay.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@simply_toyz wrote:

I received a reply from the buyer and as I had thought, they are having it mailed to their work for security. Just so happens that the name on the order does match a linkedin profile for the same person working at that same library. 

@simply_toyz 

So all that angst for nothing?

You cannot select your buyer on e-Bay, nor can you "qualify" them, etc.

Biggest issue - is how will you ship & insure it?   For high-value items. we use Fedex and require adult signature or direct signature, depending on the value.

from the Fedex site:

ID scanning to be required for adult signatures starting in June 2022

On June 28, 2022, FedEx Express and FedEx Ground will enable ID scanning functionality for deliveries in the U.S. which require an adult signature. Our ID scanning technology will electronically capture the recipient’s name and automate age verification. This new process eliminates the need for manual data entry of recipient information and improves the accuracy of recipient information.

When a recipient’s ID is scanned, our scanning technology will:

• Capture the recipient’s name associated with the ID and auto-populate the first initial and last name.
  • Confirm the recipient is 21 years or older.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

You did the right thing concerning the buyer. Best to contact them if you have concerns like an address irregularity, at least for high value items.

You can't eliminate risk (a knowledgeable, determined scammer can rip a seller off and almost always get away with it), but you can at least help mitigate the risk. Make sure you require an adult signature as suggested, and make sure you insure it for its full value (which is well in excess of included insurance with USPS or FedEx. You might also want to take photos of the item being packed up and in the final box, and make sure to get a receipt from the carrier stating the weight and dimensions of the box on the receipt. This is in case they decide to return the box claiming there was nothing in it, or similar fraud.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Your  advise seems to be  too late.  This  item has sold.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You need to send  via  signature required due to the  price.  It is  conceivable the buyer is sending the package to them self or  some one they trust at their local  library so the  can  get the signature.  The buyer may not  be home during the  day to sign for it.

Suggest you contact the buyer and Advise that you noticed the  ship to address is a public  library and ask them to reconfirm the person's  name who it should be sent to for signature.

If you are totally uncomfortable about  shipping it - cancel the  sale but you  will earn a  defect on your selling  account and if the buyer  has already paid -  you  may not get your eBay  fees  refunded.   Don't  know for  certain if you could  use the reason for cancellation - something is wrong with the ship to  address - and avoid  those issues.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 15 of 20
latest reply