cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit confused with first time offering "second chance"???

We just sent our first second chance offer but not sure how it works. A new buyer jumped in with a big bid with seconds to go and won--then couldn't/wouldn't pay (why do that???).  It seems I couldn't send the offer to the next highest bidder if we canceled the transaction first.  I sent the offer, so can I cancel the original now without it canceling the second chance offer?  Sorry for such a basic question but auctions are new to us (GTC-induced), so never had a buyer not pay for one.  Any help is greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@batboy.inc wrote: ....  It seems I couldn't send the offer to the next highest bidder if we canceled the transaction first.  I sent the offer, so can I cancel the original now without it canceling the second chance offer?  ...

No, you got that backwards. 

First of all, you don't have a valid reason to cancel the original transaction, unless the buyer asks you to do so.  

In order to close out the original transaction you need to file and close an unpaid item claim, which takes a minimum of 6 days from the date of the transaction.  If you send a Second Chance Offer before you close out the original transaction, you run the risk of having two paying buyers for one item.  Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

When you file an unpaid item claim, eBay immediately sends the buyer a message that strongly encourages them to pay for their item within 4 days. But that's all eBay does.

If the buyer doesn't pay, then after 4 days you'll get the option to close the case, giving the buyer a strike and getting a credit for your final value fee. Do not expect to hear anything about your case directly from eBay. Either the buyer pays or they don't. If you don't close the case within 36 days after the transaction it will expire, which means no strike for the buyer and no credit for you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

NEVER send a 2nd offer until the first "sale" is cleared.  If I understand correctly, you never filed a Unpaid item Claim which is the only way you can get your FVF fees back from the sale that didn't go thru.  Only after that case is finished, send the 2nd offer.

Otherwise the both buyers "could" pay and you would be stuck as, I assume, you only have one item......  that would get you an defect for out of stock. 

Frankly, I'm not sure what I would do in the present situation.... Probably file a UPI, and just hope for the best......  read some more advice...........

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@batboy.inc wrote: ....  It seems I couldn't send the offer to the next highest bidder if we canceled the transaction first.  I sent the offer, so can I cancel the original now without it canceling the second chance offer?  ...

No, you got that backwards. 

First of all, you don't have a valid reason to cancel the original transaction, unless the buyer asks you to do so.  

In order to close out the original transaction you need to file and close an unpaid item claim, which takes a minimum of 6 days from the date of the transaction.  If you send a Second Chance Offer before you close out the original transaction, you run the risk of having two paying buyers for one item.  Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

When you file an unpaid item claim, eBay immediately sends the buyer a message that strongly encourages them to pay for their item within 4 days. But that's all eBay does.

If the buyer doesn't pay, then after 4 days you'll get the option to close the case, giving the buyer a strike and getting a credit for your final value fee. Do not expect to hear anything about your case directly from eBay. Either the buyer pays or they don't. If you don't close the case within 36 days after the transaction it will expire, which means no strike for the buyer and no credit for you.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks--this is really helpful!!!  I definitely jumped into the deep-end here a bit too quickly!!!  Appreciate all the help!!!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply